Advertisement

Author Topic: The Critique thread  (Read 7927 times)

MrPhejEjHmoob

Re: The Critique thread
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 02:17:25 PM »
Some people do like it and other don't, I suppose.

I just happen believe the pro lady a bit more  (but like I said, not 100%) because I've been in that situation where the critique damaged rather than inspired.  But, it's one of those things where you have to actually have gone through to understand.

Carry on.  :)

I agree with you, not all people like criticism so you have to tread carefully when making remarks. You have to learn how to be 75% honest.  ;)

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

maipovci

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 03:02:52 PM »
Your first two photos of her were perfect the way they are.  This one would be good if she looked at the camera.  Or take a full body and have her look away so that we can get a feel for a scene or something. 

This one is perfect the way it is. 

Do you guys really want critiques?  There is a pro lady I follow and she mentioned that she would never ask for critique because even if her photos weren't the best, she liked the outcome and that was what mattered to her.  I kind of agree with her (but not 100%).  I do believe that as long as you think your photos are of standard to what you are trying to express, that getting critiqued can actually damage your self-confidence in your art.  She in a way said this, that the critiques would make her less likely to take photos because she is already hard on herself.

But, I don't know.  What do you think?

hi guys, i'm not a commercial photographer but i do make a lot of photographs. i'm a strong believer that critiques are what makes us (photographers) stronger and better both visually and when talking about our images. like any criticism, you just have to take everything with a grain of salt.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 03:54:35 PM by chicknorris »

zena

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 04:13:56 PM »
Yes, you both are right, I suppose.  But, just be aware, if you are on the boat to want critiques.

Btw, because I tend not to share too much about my artistic side, I'll humbly share that I've always loved critiques.  It's in my nature.  But, I tread carefully now since the damage.  It was a hard lesson, but I've learned...and I'm not new to the field (I'm an oldie).  ;)

Finest

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 04:18:18 PM »
I agree, the hardest critic is ourselves.  But if you really want to break out of your normal routine, then let others in on your photos and let them give an outside perspective.  We can sometimes fall into this steady state of taking the same photos, the same styles, the same subjects, etc etc.  We're comfortable with it, so most times we won't think outside the box anymore.  But being creative and exploring other areas will only work to add to your overall unique style, taking from each criticism and perspective and improving upon the "unimprovable".  We can sometimes miss even the smallest things (like the background distractions or flowers and trees sticking out of the subject's heads, for example) because we're so concentrated on the subject and getting that one central focus down. 

If the criticism is too harmful, then as a collective we can all work together to ease the tension a little bit.  I think we're all mature enough in here to give our most honest opinion, a worthy critique, and not have to resort to harmful criticism.  Think positive and positive things will happen.  Help the next person improve, don't cut them down.   O0

zena

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 05:46:39 PM »
Oh no.  You all are getting the wrong impression.  Yes, there are two or three things going on here, I realize.  Critiquing is okay, in this case.

I'm talking on a whole different level, I noticed.  Sometimes, I forget that this is simply a beginners.  I'm talking about years of experience here.  Just ignore me.  8)

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 05:34:08 PM »
Your first two photos of her were perfect the way they are.  This one would be good if she looked at the camera.  Or take a full body and have her look away so that we can get a feel for a scene or something. 

This one is perfect the way it is. 

Do you guys really want critiques?  There is a pro lady I follow and she mentioned that she would never ask for critique because even if her photos weren't the best, she liked the outcome and that was what mattered to her.  I kind of agree with her (but not 100%).  I do believe that as long as you think your photos are of standard to what you are trying to express, that getting critiqued can actually damage your self-confidence in your art.  She in a way said this, that the critiques would make her less likely to take photos because she is already hard on herself.

But, I don't know.  What do you think?

. i agreed for the most part, but i always have room for critiques.  thanks for sharing. O0

Never risk your life for those who will not do the same...

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 05:36:55 PM »
thanks for the critiques guys.. appreciated.  O0 O0 O0 O0

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 07:51:48 PM »
Critique is important in any art form, whether starting out or professional. You need to know how to take critiques as well as how to give them. Of course not all critiques are equal, so take what you like and leave the rest.

Toua, I'm not a professional photog, but I know basic stuff. From looking at your pictures, there's an easy way for you to improve quickly, and that is with framing. Since it seems you're into human/portrait photog, here are some pretty simple rules for how to frame people. Give it a try:

http://petapixel.com/2011/09/29/crop-guidelines-for-portrait-photography/

These are just basic rules. You should also Google "head room" and "nose room" (or aka "look room").

thanks for link. bookmarked. :) i have to admit, my framing sucks balls.. lol.. :2funny: :2funny: ;D

Sifu

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 12:34:32 PM »

Here's my take.  Overall I feel like the balance is off.  The red is trying to hold off the falling blue.  It's structured well (triangular; the strongest basic shape) but because of the tilt I get the impression that its about to collapse.  You then have the purple beams that act like a structured beam trying to hold everything in place.

Then you take into account the subject matter.  It's a woman kissing a man.  It looks lighthearted but because of the unbalanced frame it doesn't fit the theme well.  Instead of it being a more solid base it looks like its struggling.  Their holding hands looks more like grasping for a hold than holding hands.  Yellow is something in the background that I find distracting. 

I day try it without tilting and omit the suitcase and lantern. 

I understand this is just a test but that's just my opinion.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:37:02 PM by Sifu »

Like this post: +1

Advertisements