Advertisement

Author Topic: Universal Healthcare  (Read 21505 times)

bulbasaur

Universal Healthcare
« on: January 23, 2014, 09:39:56 PM »
There are problems with "Obamacare," but universal healthcare is a good thing. 

I was out with some friends and cousins, and the topic came up.  Surprisingly, they were all against universal healthcare.  Strangely enough, a good number of them worked in the medical field.  At first, I thought maybe they disagreed on it because of principle, smaller government.  However, as the discussion continued, it became apparent that they were simply misinformed.  I originally avoided the debate since I was the only dissenting view.  There was no need to engage in a debate with people I haven't seen in a long time.  Also, I was the more informed and the better debater, so it wouldn't even be fair.  But then, like good medical professionals, they noticed my broken finger...

They noticed my broken finger, but they didn't know that I broke it while I was abroad.  They were all guessing how much it cost me.  $500 to $5000.  It became a game.  When I told them it cost me less than $20,, they were shocked.  They then proceeded to try to find something wrong with the system, such as wait time, appointments, etc.  However, when I told them that I simply walked in, no appointment, 10 minute wait, got treated, got medication, a rehab schedule with a personal trainer, and follow-ups with the doctor, it really blew their minds.  All of their pre-conceptions about universal healthcare was wrong. 

Granted, if I needed surgery, I might have needed to wait and pay more.  I am not sure about the wait, but I am pretty sure the cost would have been cheaper. 

Virtually every country with universal healthcare laughs at the American system.  Although it is true that some of the best hospitals, doctors, medical techniques, etc. are in America, it doesn't mean much when people do not have access to it. 

People should be mindful of facts vs. pre-conceptions. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

santi

Re: Universal Healthcare
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 09:50:09 PM »
give it enough time and Americans will fight for this also.  O0

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 07:43:15 AM »
I would love universal healthcare.  Having it, I would be able to focus on jobs that are more fun and not have to worry about healthcare.  If I want to be a gardener, I would still have health insurance.  Universal healthcare will also allow the government to control and reduce the cost of healthcare.  The US healthcare about the moment is out of control and it will eventually get to a point where no one can afford health insurance and something has to give.

At the moment, my insurance premium costs $800/month and my rent is $600.  That means it costs about $10,000 a year for health insurance for me.  I only visit the doctor once or twice a year and never cost more than $1,000.

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 12:13:55 PM »
Its a double edge sword. Ideally, giving everybody healthcare would make sense, since a healthy population is a more productive one.  The problem is that it can be a costly system to maintain and medical services could be diminished if not executed properly.

But overall, I still think its better than what we have.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 09:32:56 PM »
Its a double edge sword. Ideally, giving everybody healthcare would make sense, since a healthy population is a more productive one.  The problem is that it can be a costly system to maintain and medical services could be diminished if not executed properly.

But overall, I still think its better than what we have.

I don't really see why it is a double edge sword.  Canada get to do it just fine.  Are we special that we can't do it?

Now, you may say no money, the drug companies are just going to give up.  That's a legit concern but we will have to see about that.

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 11:10:38 AM »
I don't really see why it is a double edge sword.  Canada get to do it just fine.  Are we special that we can't do it?

Now, you may say no money, the drug companies are just going to give up.  That's a legit concern but we will have to see about that.

Don't they pay pretty hefty taxes?  I recall reading it somewhere, also the difference between number of kids in the family doesn't matter as much. A couple with no kids will pay close to a family of four.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 01:27:50 PM »
Don't they pay pretty hefty taxes?  I recall reading it somewhere, also the difference between number of kids in the family doesn't matter as much. A couple with no kids will pay close to a family of four.

Yeah I think they pay as much as 50%-60%.   But they seems fine with it.  I live in the US and I pay 40%.  It's OK for me but I could really use that money for a new car.  The problem in the US is that our tax money is used wrongly.  For example, fighting two wars. 

shina

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 11:05:31 PM »
What you guys want is not universal healthcare but a free government runs healthcare like third world nations.  Laos has a free government hospital.  There's limited beds so first come first serve.  If you don't have money to bribe them for a bed then you will die while waiting.  The doctors work for the government so time is not money.  They can take their sweet time eating lunch.  Take a look at France for example.  Healthcare is FREE, but income tax is 55%.  Most people don't work because they are on welfare; so many people living in a small apartment; they shower once a week because water is too expensive; most don't own a car; the majority of the people have never gone eat out; Yes, they have free healthcare, but the waiting is very long.  If you die while waiting, you cannot sue the doctors.  My aunt died from kidney failure.  There was a match but she must wait 3 months for the operation and she died before her scheduled date.  This would not have happened in America.    I love my private healthcare.  Yes, it's expensive, but my life is worth it.  After all, you got what you paid for.

shina

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 11:08:05 PM »
How many poor middle class families can afford to pay the deductible under Obamacare????  $6,000 per individual and $12,000 per family.  Only dumb people would pay a premium on a healthcare they cannot afford to use. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 11:31:12 PM »
Wow, misconceptions abound.  I guess it's not surprising. 

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 09:34:09 AM »
Everybody should have Healthcare. However, we can't say that what works in other countries will work for Americans simply because our mentality and attitude is different. My co-worker, whose sister is a professional basketball player in Italy, said that the hospitals there are unclean and not only that but don't administer certain things like shots. What they do is hand out the syringe with the medication and the people have to give themselves their own shots at home. How many Americans are ready to administer their own medical care without later suing the medical industry? Nobody ever admits that Americans and their trial lawyers are just waiting for that one incident to cash in. This is why many things that work in other countries do not work here.

bulbasaur

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 09:47:22 AM »
And I heard you also had to do your own heart surgery.   It's called the 2/3 Compromise.  :idiot2:

Everybody should have Healthcare. However, we can't say that what works in other countries will work for Americans simply because our mentality and attitude is different. My co-worker, whose sister is a professional basketball player in Italy, said that the hospitals there are unclean and not only that but don't administer certain things like shots. What they do is hand out the syringe with the medication and the people have to give themselves their own shots at home. How many Americans are ready to administer their own medical care without later suing the medical industry? Nobody ever admits that Americans and their trial lawyers are just waiting for that one incident to cash in. This is why many things that work in other countries do not work here.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 09:53:08 AM »
And I heard you also had to do your own heart surgery.   It's called the 2/3 Compromise.  :idiot2:

You have no grasp of reality. -----> Yep, all the signs of a person that has no responsibility over anybody but himself. You're entitled to express yourself based on your limited experience in life.

bulbasaur

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 10:17:38 AM »
I am a compromising person.  How about 2/3?  I personally prefer 3/5, but that may not  be reality enough for you.   :2funny:

You have no grasp of reality. -----> Yep, all the signs of a person that has no responsibility over anybody but himself. You're entitled to express yourself based on your limited experience in life.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 11:08:31 AM »
So you're saying that my co-worker's sister has no validity in her complaints about the healthcare system in Italy?

Your personal hatred of me should have no influence on my first response in this thread. My comment wasn't to thwart your little topic. It was simply to express a statement I got from a conversation with my co-worker. The problem with you is that you got issues with me but you're too cowardly to admit it. That's why you think everything I say is a personal attack against your intelligence or something.  :idiot2:

I'll clear things up. I already know you're stupid. I don't need to argue about that. I'm simply just saying this is what I heard from a co-worker. If you have problems then locate her sister in Italy and debate with her about Italy's healthcare system.  :2funny:

Advertisements