Advertisement

Author Topic: The differences between a gifted child and a child prodigy  (Read 5917 times)

prima_donna

The differences between a gifted child and a child prodigy
« on: January 24, 2014, 07:25:24 AM »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

prima_donna

Re: The differences between a gifted child and a child prodigy
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 07:33:31 AM »
List of child prodigies

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_child_prodigies

Interesting how under sports Jet Li is listed as a prodigy child.

Json

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 07:40:33 AM »
Cool.  O0

bulbasaur

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 07:33:50 PM »
I actually believe that any normal person has the capability to be a "prodigy," at least by this definition.  Environment often times plays a big role.  A child has to discover what he or she is interested in.  A child has to have access to that interest.  A child has to have the education and resources to pursue that interest.  The chances of a child having all these things is rare.   Many adults never find what they are good at.  A "prodigy" is someone who simply started at a younger age.   There is a reason why the best athletes and rappers come out of the inner city. Many of the prodigies on that list found their interest early, and had the opportunity to be educated by someone in that interest.  Give it a test.  Click on some random names on the list. 

Polgar, a Hungarian psychologist, put this theory to the test.  Amazingly, it worked.  If a genius was truly random genetics, then the chances of him have 3 genius kids is extremely unlikely.  Mozart had the rare chance of being interested in music while having a dad who was a composer and a teacher. 

A Hmong prodigy is bound to happen.  As one generation becomes more educated, the next will have more opportunities. 

prima_donna

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 12:46:41 PM »
Einstein was a gifted child.

Its both genetic and environmental.
In some cases both parents WONT have it but their offsprings have it.
Under brain scan, intelligences is detected by more grey matter, this could mean they have more neurons than the normal brain mass.

prima_donna

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 11:32:01 AM »
Genetics?  LOL...Because he was Jewish?  Environmental. ..oh definitely.  Not only did the US amass the best mind in the world to sit together and chit chat like it was HOL all over again but they funded these guys and gave them access to money and etc... to do whatever.  Not since then has the government done such an experiment...i t's no wonder science is moving so slow too.

What I mean by genetics is how the brain developes. Einstein's brain shown an absences of the Sylvian fissure. The part which separates the lobes of the brain. And without this dividing line, Einstein's parietal lobe was 15 percent wider than the average brain [source: Witelson et al.].

Its also correct that environment plays a role. A child can achieve if they have the proper teacher and learning tool.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:27:16 PM by prima_donna »

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 11:32:23 PM »
Hmong child prodigies do exist. However, the talent has to be recognized by his or her society as something of value. My mom often spoke of young children (as young as 3 years old) who could master our traditional kwv txhiaj. In order to do that, the child would have to have a great command of the Hmong language, prose, poetry, and so on so forth. The question is whether or not American society would recognize that talent as something of value in order to consider the child a prodigy.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 01:18:37 AM »
In my very first summer school I tested to passed 1st grade, but was put in 1st grade for 4 days until they figured out my age and kicked me to preschool.  Then all I had to do was play all day...that was super stupid.

In 6th grade I tested and passed all 10th grade level requirements and passed half of 12th grade level requirements,  but my English comprehension was still at 5th grade level.  What can I say, I just don't speak white talk.

They don't call me gifted oh wait they did.  But they also called me a smart ass.  Must've been genetics...cuz no upbringing of society or nurturing helped me out one bit.  And the environment... well if you're not normal, you get your ass kicked by everyone else.  So prepare to fight in school every day.  No black or white likes someone who's not black or white that's smarter than they are.    Yeap, Asians let alone Hmong didn't even exist back then.

Everyone wish they knew a real prodigy, but when they really meet one...they will hate them for real.  That's the bottom line truth. 

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 01:20:45 AM by VillainousHero »

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 09:46:48 AM »
Yeap...mentors hip is extremely important.

I know from first hand experience...b eing left bored and undeveloped.  O0

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline techy

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 11:59:52 AM »
Thanks for sharing the article.  It is an interesting perspective.

We (as Hmong people) definitely can do a better job at nurturing our gifted children and geniuses.  I'm sure many geniuses have fallen through the cracks due to lack of resources and bad parenting. Maybe a worthwhile topic would be put forth best known practices for how to best nurture our future geniuses, in light of our cultural practices and general lack of good readily available resources.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 06:33:13 PM »
Difference between gifted and prodigy

Show a gifted child something new and they can duplicate it.

Show a prodigy something new and they can improve upon it.

How do I know?  Been there done that.  :2funny:

Advertisements