Advertisement

Author Topic: Forced Marriages  (Read 19936 times)

express

Forced Marriages
« on: March 04, 2014, 07:35:18 PM »
I’m not well educated in the Hmong customs and traditions. Would someone enlighten me on why the price is set ridiculously high (I’ve heard upwards of $20K) for a man to pay if he does not want to marry a girl he impregnates? I've heard it’s to corner the man so he would have to marry the girl to save the girl's family's face. Any truth to that?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Re: Forced Marriages
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 01:27:11 PM »
I’m not well educated in the Hmong customs and traditions. Would someone enlighten me on why the price is set ridiculously high (I’ve heard upwards of $20K) for a man to pay if he does not want to marry a girl he impregnates? I've heard it’s to corner the man so he would have to marry the girl to save the girl's family's face. Any truth to that?

Wow! That's a lot.

The reason might be true. But I would not pay that amount if I was the guy.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Wi_sweetguy

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 01:28:10 PM »
I hope that is the case so there wont be any baby mamas and baby daddies around.  So becareful who you sleep with. ;)

Like this post: +1

proudlao

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 02:16:14 PM »
HOLY SHIT

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 02:31:27 PM »
I hope that is the case so there wont be any baby mamas and baby daddies around.  So becareful who you sleep with. ;)

That won't stop people from sleeping with one another.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

express

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 02:35:49 PM »

Always!  ;)

I just know of someone who is trying to get out of this sticky situation and just wanted some insight.

express

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 02:39:37 PM »
I consider myself pretty modern with some traditional tendencies. Isn't this tradition outdated?

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 02:06:00 AM »

Fees vary depending on the family who feels like they've been wronged. The number also depends on other factors as well. For example, is the girl underage? The price could be set high by the girl's parents with an agreement to the groom's family that they won't report him to the authorities, especially if he doesn't plan to marry her. Usually if the girl is legal the groom's mediators are going to negotiate a lower fee because they know in this day and age Hmong girls are going to file for child support. It isn't necessary to pay such a high retribution fee if she's going to be receiving child support anyways. It could be brought down to 2-5k.

If he does marry her then he'll be demanded to pay penalty fees on top of the bride token.

Christa

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 12:22:01 PM »
Parents should really stop and evaluate if forcing their own child to get married because she got pregnant or went out too long is really the answer. There's nothing wrong with raising a child as a single parent or getting an abortion if the mother is too young to support her child. The decision should be left up to the two children rather than forcing marriage. If your daughter got pregnant before marriage, that reputation will stand whether there's a marriage or not.

Stybic_Kemaka

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 11:04:45 PM »
Funny cause I heard they have to pay 216 months of child support...

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 07:41:04 AM »
Parents should really stop and evaluate if forcing their own child to get married because she got pregnant or went out too long is really the answer. There's nothing wrong with raising a child as a single parent or getting an abortion if the mother is too young to support her child. The decision should be left up to the two children rather than forcing marriage. If your daughter got pregnant before marriage, that reputation will stand whether there's a marriage or not.

It seems many of you don't get it. Being 9 months pregnant isn't an easy task, especially for an unwed girl. Obviously, the burden is going to fall upon the girl's parents. However, if she gets married then that burden will be shared with her husband and his parents.

Again, you people need to stop living in your fairytale world where single mother's are millionaires, have nannies, and the baby daddy contributes even though he is in another relationship.

Offline MenaceAccord07

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
This only applies to Hmongs.   :idiot2:

yuknowthat

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 10:59:42 AM »
:2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: hmong people, hmong people........ sigh...

FetishDream

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 11:01:57 AM »
Come on, lets be real

They just want an upgrade from a Tacoma to a Tundra  :2funny:

yuknowthat

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 11:07:37 AM »
^^^^^^

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny: