Advertisement

Author Topic: An interesting video on protocell  (Read 5805 times)

prima_donna

An interesting video on protocell
« on: March 06, 2014, 07:34:22 AM »
Ok. Maybe hydrophobic droplets is the better term.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

prima_donna

Re: An interesting video on protocell
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 04:31:20 PM »
I remember in Bio 101 trying to get my teacher to dïefine life at the cell level. He wouldn't go for it. Bio text books usually have a dividing line as to where life starts but it's a bit more blurred than that. Do you work in the sciences or just a fan?

I'm just a starfish passionated for science.

Going right off the youtube;
Characteristic s of living cells
1. Body
2. Metabolism
3. Inhereditary genes

Virus are kinda like the odd ball. They dont have a celluar body or use metabolism yet they can replicate themselves.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 08:23:02 AM by prima_donna »

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 07:37:53 AM »
I remember in Bio 101 trying to get my teacher to define life at the cell level. He wouldn't go for it. Bio text books usually have a dividing line as to where life starts but it's a bit more blurred than that. Do you work in the sciences or just a fan?

A cell is alive.  If you break the cell into pieces, each piece on its own is not alive.  DNA alone is not alive.  When all the parts are together, and all chemical process activities are resumed, life goes on.  Enzymes go about their way to do their duties.  Or you could call them little robots that knows how to duplicate themselves.

Like this post: +1

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 08:23:03 AM »
i know biology books draw a hard line on what his living and what isn't, but the reason for me asking was because during that semester I was also taking philosophy, and we were talking about when does life begin, when does self consciousness begin? my stand was that it isn't so clear cut, but more of a gradual thing.

for instance it used to be broadly accepted that humans are the only animals with self awareness and emotions, but there are studies now that have disproved this.

You are not asking about life, but about conscious.

Biology is not the study of conscious.  And if I were the teacher, I won't waste my time talking about it especially in bio 101.  You could ask your professor in neurology, and neuro psychology.  In biology, I did remember the teacher tell us that we shouldn't feel sorry for the worm we are going to dissect.  Worms do not feel pain.  Their reaction is simple reflexes.  We know this because they lack the brain to process pain.

prima_donna

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 08:55:44 PM »
Good argument.  I'm not convinced because he's stretching the definition.  Add OIL in water, and then add soap...same...

In comparison a human/animal cell is way more advance. These are just interepration of premordial cells. You have to remember early cells cant make protein without DNA. To the basics, you have oil-water-clay. The body is a template of what could be of a cell.

Advertisements