Advertisement

Author Topic: Volleyball....did you know the rules have changed?!?!  (Read 30840 times)

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Volleyball....did you know the rules have changed?!?!
« on: March 21, 2014, 11:02:58 PM »
Well, sometimes I play with these people...
And appearantly, net balls count and you can kick the ball too...

I was so dumbfounded... .

Like this post: 0
I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Adverstisement

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
Re: Volleyball....did you know the rules have changed?!?!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 09:08:24 AM »
I've played international and USA rules for a long time back in mid 90's and since the USA Volleyball had adopted most of the international rules after y2k...I'm very comfortable playing that way.  Furthermore I coached USA JOV girls for about 4-5 years, and just about every year there were rule changes that I had to adjust to.  Trying to convert players from high school style to a college/international style of play was a major challenge, but a whole season can take some 3rd string players into 1st string players was the results.

I haven't played...Hmong rules, aka middle school volleyball rules from back in 80's for a very long time.  You could say when I was playing college style level, most everybody was still playing high school style level.

It's extremely confusing since, nobody ever even mentions scoring rule changes at the start of game.  But some idiots at J4 finally figure out that no one needs to have an hour long match of deuce duece on first set of 2 out of 3 game, FINALLY!

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
  • Respect: +1038
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 09:00:43 PM »
I've played league volleyball with a coworker and yes, some of the rules have changed.  When I first joined, I was surprised to see the ladies kicking the ball  :o  then finding out it was allowed.   ;D

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »
Yes, wierd huh?  First time I saw a kick ball I stopped playing and everyone was still going aggressive.... I didn't know what was going on...

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 12:39:17 PM »
I play Phalen style! shot gun before the play, net is below 7ft and mov nplaum counts!  ;D

LOL...tai chi ball sets are good man!  All good.  O0

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

bulbasaur

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 02:24:36 AM »
I dislike the new rules, especially the new beach rules.  I still hate the libero position, but it seems like it is here to stay. 

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 10:20:09 AM »
I dislike the new rules, especially the new beach rules.  I still hate the libero position, but it seems like it is here to stay. 

Last time I heard, experimental rule, Libero gets to serve...like pinch hitter/server once per set.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 10:25:38 AM »

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 11:12:57 AM »
   Well I jumped straight up and with both arms in the air in a V shape formation and was attempting a block but the ball spiked at my head and landed on the other side for a point.

I didn't know I could use my head like in soccer.  ha

I think it's always been that way for blocking, contact with upper part of the body...but some where, some time, Hmong rules changed that from serve reception to include blocking.  Oh and when and where did they decide that only bumping on the serve was only allowed...gues s they had to be different from the rest of the world.  Or that they just saw some beach volleyball and decided that what they saw became a rule without actually learning the original rules.

If I remember correctly...th e first "real" spikes came about the 1960's or 1916's .... and the "real" block came after that maybe like a decade after or something....I forget my volleyball history now.  And I used to be a coach... :P

bulbasaur

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 08:50:12 PM »
Playing the libero position might be fun for that individual.  In fact, if I were growing up in today, I might be a libero because I was a pretty good passer.  However, I hate the libero position on principle.  The position allows people to be an incomplete player.  Some examples on old school...

1.  You're a great passer.  You're digging up a lot of our shots.  However, we're going to punish your team when you get in the front. 

2.  You're a great hitter and blocker.  You're killing us and blocking our shots.  However, we're going to punish you when you get in the back. 

To stop the other team from punishing you, you have to be decent at all the positions.  It also gives each person a chance to win the game in their own way.  In today's game, a person really only needs to learn half the game.  To make it worse, a person is rewarded for it.

Coaches probably like the libero position.  It seems like it was created by coaches. 

A lot of people will disagree, but that is just how I feel. 

Last time I heard, experimental rule, Libero gets to serve...like pinch hitter/server once per set.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 11:59:34 PM »
From a coaching stand point...you want your team to avoid being punished as well as maximize your opportunity to punish the other team per say...But we're only looking at the game from an on court full of 6 player team of indoor aspect.

There's a lot of differences in 4 player, 3 player, and 2 player teams.  Then there's the co-ed aspect where they have stranger court rules like males can only block or may even come from back row to block.  Even simply looking at rule differences from high school to college then to national rules then to international rules.

Then you get the WI vs MN Hmong volleyball differences... ha ha ha ha.  and don't even get me started on the cheating reffing that happens on weekend tourneys.

bulbasaur

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 01:52:36 AM »
That's actually the reason why I dislike the libero position.  IMO, it's a cop-out for players and coaches.  If a player can only spike and not be a good passer, then that player should be exposed, vice versa too.  It's a part of the game.  That's the entire reason for rotating.  With the libero, we might as well eliminate rotating...whi ch may very well happen in the future. 

I don't mind Hmong rules...do they even still play by the old school rules? I don't even think they are the same in different parts of the country when Hmong people started playing the game.  I haven't been to a tournament in years, but I don't see why kids today would still play by them.  Point on serve?  15 win by 2?  No sets or open hands on serves/spikes?  10ft "tip line?"  No touching of centerline?  No oversets or setting the ball over?  No lets?  That's just some of the things. 

As for the cheating...it's expected.  I don't know about games today, but if it is anything like before, no one is going to call a carry on set.  No formation or rotation infractions.  Some setters and spikers never rotate.  Or maybe you are talking about real cheating....

From a coaching stand point...you want your team to avoid being punished as well as maximize your opportunity to punish the other team per say...But we're only looking at the game from an on court full of 6 player team of indoor aspect.

There's a lot of differences in 4 player, 3 player, and 2 player teams.  Then there's the co-ed aspect where they have stranger court rules like males can only block or may even come from back row to block.  Even simply looking at rule differences from high school to college then to national rules then to international rules.

Then you get the WI vs MN Hmong volleyball differences... ha ha ha ha.  and don't even get me started on the cheating reffing that happens on weekend tourneys.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 02:32:02 AM »
I personally don't have problems with any rules...it's just that Hmong volleyball rules (old school)...well the players don't even know the rules...and when they appear that they do...well that's because they only know how to cheat by some rules.  As soon as I stepped outside of Hmong volleyball rules...all I saw was how dumb down Hmong volleyball rules were....no offense but...it's really a limited scope of play.  Why is that cheating is expected in Hmong volleyball rules?  The better team loses because of cheating, not because they were fairly eliminated.  That makes Hmong volleyball more incomplete and more incompetent as players.  I'm kind of glad that they're stepping away from the old school rules and adopting some current real world officiated rules, but they still have a long ways to go.  Like providing a basic tournament rules of the game so that everyone agrees on the rulings and let the better team win by skills instead.

Why do you think a libero position is a cop-out?  I mean it's basically like a free substitution.. .allowing a hitter time to rest and study their opponents.  We could just not allow any substitution except in the case of injury.  If anything else...Hmong players could then actually have a chance to try out for some college or even the national team.

bulbasaur

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 03:18:33 AM »
Old school Hmong and even these New school Hmong games are simply a different game.  It's not fair to say they are inferior.  That's like saying anything other than NBA style basketball is inferior. 

I agree that the rules should be clear and enforced, especially since prize money is involved. 

The libero position is a cop-out for the very reason you just wrote, "it's basically like a free substitution.. .allowing a hitter time to rest and study their opponents."  Players are given time off to rest.  Players don't have to pass.  I prefer the variation.  Teams can win on fitness.  Teams can win on defense.  Teams can exploit weak spots.  With the libero, it's all the same.  Coaches probably love it because it makes their job easier.  Now, get a good libero, a few stronger hitters, and let's see who gets more spikes in.  Newer players probably like this, but I don't.  I don't even like watching it. 

I personally don't have problems with any rules...it's just that Hmong volleyball rules (old school)...well the players don't even know the rules...and when they appear that they do...well that's because they only know how to cheat by some rules.  As soon as I stepped outside of Hmong volleyball rules...all I saw was how dumb down Hmong volleyball rules were....no offense but...it's really a limited scope of play.  Why is that cheating is expected in Hmong volleyball rules?  The better team loses because of cheating, not because they were fairly eliminated.  That makes Hmong volleyball more incomplete and more incompetent as players.  I'm kind of glad that they're stepping away from the old school rules and adopting some current real world officiated rules, but they still have a long ways to go.  Like providing a basic tournament rules of the game so that everyone agrees on the rulings and let the better team win by skills instead.

Why do you think a libero position is a cop-out?  I mean it's basically like a free substitution.. .allowing a hitter time to rest and study their opponents.  We could just not allow any substitution except in the case of injury.  If anything else...Hmong players could then actually have a chance to try out for some college or even the national team.

bulbasaur

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 05:50:18 AM »
It just occurred to me...the libero reminds me of meters in Street Fighter.  I understand the appeal of it, but I like old school hyper fighting.  I dislike how a person can make a big mistake, and still get out of it.  Not learning how to play front or back lines should be a mistake to be exploited.  What's next?  Free server substitutions?  How about the person only serves and someone else jumps onto the court to pass for them.  I'm sure the serves will be awesome, and saves will be just as impressive.  I know people disagree with me, but I like the old method: Everybody plays every position.  It just makes sense.  Otherwise, why rotate at all? 

Advertisements