Advertisement

Author Topic: Volleyball....did you know the rules have changed?!?!  (Read 30836 times)

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
Re: Volleyball....did you know the rules have changed?!?!
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 04:54:10 PM »
Why you keep calling it inferior?

Like this post: 0
The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Adverstisement

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2014, 08:42:02 PM »
D1 player!  Speaking of D1 player, my friend was a D1 player, he tells me I don't play hard enough and with heart, he's seen me "really" play one time so he know's I can obviously play better.  Every now and then he'll be surprised and say "wow, that was a really good move" or his jaw will just drop with some crazy wild shot(all my shots are not crazy or wild, they just look like it becuase I intend them to be that way, I purposely sometimes play like I'm going to lose the ball or that I have no control of the ball to throw the defender off, and then, that's when the magic happens!) and he'll say that it was pretty good.  So coming from a former D1 player, it says something about my game!  But that's just basketball.

He's injured this year, oh wells.  But next year, we're going to take this little 3 on 3 tournament and win it.  This year I wasn't even invited to be part of the team!  What a shame!!  The funnie thing, if I would've put together a team of scrubs, we would've beat literally over half the teams there!  WEll there was only 5 teams anyways. 

We're going to get them next year!!!

Anyways I saw D1 so I had to ramble off on a tanget.

I don't know what all this mumbo jumbo jargon's of rules are you two are talking about but...

I think the old old school players could play any position, I'd say they were the more complete players.   

Plus, how can anyone be considered a good volleyball if they can't bunt, set, serve.  I'm just assuming all the good hmong volleyball players, at the very least, are better than the average setter, bumper, server, spiker.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2014, 08:51:56 PM »
That technical jargon is all on bulbasaur...LO ;D  since debate forums has been dead... :2funny: :2funny:

That's all what I'm saying if that when you get good at one rule...you should go try another rule to see if your good at that too or not.  If you're not...then you have to ask yourself if you can become better.  If you become better then you should try another rule and see if you are becoming better.  Then if somehow you end up playing pro level because of that...then give yourself a pat on the back.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

bulbasaur

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2014, 10:28:56 PM »
You are the one fixated on the rules, and you just so happen to be wrong on them.   It's not a debate, it's fact.  No on is saying that you can't like FIVB rules, but those rules were not always the same.  Moreover, people can play Hmong rules, and still be good players.  There are a lot of Hmong people in college.  I bet they can all hold their own. 

That technical jargon is all on bulbasaur...LO ;D  since debate forums has been dead... :2funny: :2funny:

That's all what I'm saying if that when you get good at one rule...you should go try another rule to see if your good at that too or not.  If you're not...then you have to ask yourself if you can become better.  If you become better then you should try another rule and see if you are becoming better.  Then if somehow you end up playing pro level because of that...then give yourself a pat on the back.

bulbasaur

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2014, 10:38:39 PM »
Funny that you mention playing against D1 players.  My ragtag group of volleyball players beat many D1 players.  They weren't the elite D1 volleyball schools, but still D1 players nonetheless.  Beat them on 6v6 open campus tournament.  Beat them in the open 4v4 sand tournament.  Almost won the local colleges tournament.  Two of my teammates did beat them in the city 2v2 sand tournament. 

That being said, even though we beat them, we weren't really better than them.  If they sported their entire team with substitutions, they probably would have beaten us.  They made multiple teams for the 6v6 tournament.  They thought they were going to win the top spots by doing so.  They simply weren't used to playing these kinds of tournaments. 

D1 player!  Speaking of D1 player, my friend was a D1 player, he tells me I don't play hard enough and with heart, he's seen me "really" play one time so he know's I can obviously play better.  Every now and then he'll be surprised and say "wow, that was a really good move" or his jaw will just drop with some crazy wild shot(all my shots are not crazy or wild, they just look like it becuase I intend them to be that way, I purposely sometimes play like I'm going to lose the ball or that I have no control of the ball to throw the defender off, and then, that's when the magic happens!) and he'll say that it was pretty good.  So coming from a former D1 player, it says something about my game!  But that's just basketball.

He's injured this year, oh wells.  But next year, we're going to take this little 3 on 3 tournament and win it.  This year I wasn't even invited to be part of the team!  What a shame!!  The funnie thing, if I would've put together a team of scrubs, we would've beat literally over half the teams there!  WEll there was only 5 teams anyways. 

We're going to get them next year!!!

Anyways I saw D1 so I had to ramble off on a tanget.

I don't know what all this mumbo jumbo jargon's of rules are you two are talking about but...

I think the old old school players could play any position, I'd say they were the more complete players.   

Plus, how can anyone be considered a good volleyball if they can't bunt, set, serve.  I'm just assuming all the good hmong volleyball players, at the very least, are better than the average setter, bumper, server, spiker.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2014, 07:34:47 AM »
You are the one fixated on the rules, and you just so happen to be wrong on them.   It's not a debate, it's fact.  No on is saying that you can't like FIVB rules, but those rules were not always the same.  Moreover, people can play Hmong rules, and still be good players.  There are a lot of Hmong people in college.  I bet they can all hold their own. 

I'm not wrong about rules...get over it.  The only thing I'm fixated is encouraging others to learn how to play by different rules....so so happen to be current officiated rules.  So you are wrong yet again.  Get over your fixation about making others wrong and trying win by your debate method.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2014, 07:36:17 AM »
Funny that you mention playing against D1 players.  My ragtag group of volleyball players beat many D1 players.  They weren't the elite D1 volleyball schools, but still D1 players nonetheless.  Beat them on 6v6 open campus tournament.  Beat them in the open 4v4 sand tournament.  Almost won the local colleges tournament.  Two of my teammates did beat them in the city 2v2 sand tournament. 

That being said, even though we beat them, we weren't really better than them.  If they sported their entire team with substitutions, they probably would have beaten us.  They made multiple teams for the 6v6 tournament.  They thought they were going to win the top spots by doing so.  They simply weren't used to playing these kinds of tournaments. 

U sure they're the actual college team or just pick up college players? huge difference...

Maybe your team should really try to compete in an M1 format...if they're still around.

VIM

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2014, 02:22:01 PM »
VH & BB...Please join us for the J4 tourney.  I'll have the two of you  play one-on-one, with whatever rules you prefer.  I would recommend a very special rule that would include both US and Hmong rules and could be found at Lake Phalen, also known as "Phalen Style".  One can catch, throw, kick, take the ball to stargate, get a round drink, dance a few and bring it back the next day so long as you bump, kick, throw, carry, and or drink your way over to the other side of the court.  Good Luck1

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:16:39 PM by VIM »

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2014, 03:48:43 PM »
LOL...I know Phalen Style...good laugh and fun times.

As long as someone goes and get the ball out of the water.   O0  :2funny: :2funny:

The only thing they haven't learned yet is totem pole spike!  :2funny:

bulbasaur

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2014, 10:08:37 PM »
If you think you are not wrong, then fine.  I can't make you believe it.  If you think 9.2.3.2 was always in existence, then I can't help you.  If you don't believe 9.3.4 is stopping open overhands, then I can't you.  If you think comparing D1 players to Hmong park players is fair, then fine.  It's apparent that nothing is going to change your mind. 

It's not a debate.  Facts.   

I'm not wrong about rules...get over it.  The only thing I'm fixated is encouraging others to learn how to play by different rules....so so happen to be current officiated rules.  So you are wrong yet again.  Get over your fixation about making others wrong and trying win by your debate method.

bulbasaur

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2014, 10:26:33 PM »
It was a long time ago.  None of us even play anymore....wel l, I can't speak for them.  I don't play anymore.  Maybe the old crew is still playing somewhere, but they gotta be old by now.  I was the youngest.  BTW, they weren't Hmong, but they weren't D1 players either. 

Not all D1 schools were elite.  You're probably thinking California where players are on scholarship and volleyball is actually cool.  Volleyball is more popular these days, but back in the day, volleyball was what guys played if they weren't good at basketball.  Also, we beat them in tournaments and pickups, not an actual NCAA style game.  For the 2v2 sands tournament, I am not even sure if the D1 players got 2nd or 3rd.  I think some locals beat them too.  Of course, those locals might have been older D1 players.   

In later years, the players stopped coming out to play pickup and tournaments.  They didn't even play pickups between different schools anymore.  They only wanted to play among themselves with their own teams.  I can only assume the coach didn't want them learning bad habits, or maybe the coach didn't want them hurting themselves. 

That was a lifetime ago. 

U sure they're the actual college team or just pick up college players? huge difference...

Maybe your team should really try to compete in an M1 format...if they're still around.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2014, 07:53:25 AM »
It was a long time ago.  None of us even play anymore....wel l, I can't speak for them.  I don't play anymore.  Maybe the old crew is still playing somewhere, but they gotta be old by now.  I was the youngest.  BTW, they weren't Hmong, but they weren't D1 players either. 

Not all D1 schools were elite.  You're probably thinking California where players are on scholarship and volleyball is actually cool.  Volleyball is more popular these days, but back in the day, volleyball was what guys played if they weren't good at basketball.  Also, we beat them in tournaments and pickups, not an actual NCAA style game.  For the 2v2 sands tournament, I am not even sure if the D1 players got 2nd or 3rd.  I think some locals beat them too.  Of course, those locals might have been older D1 players.   

In later years, the players stopped coming out to play pickup and tournaments.  They didn't even play pickups between different schools anymore.  They only wanted to play among themselves with their own teams.  I can only assume the coach didn't want them learning bad habits, or maybe the coach didn't want them hurting themselves. 

That was a lifetime ago. 

Those don't sound like any trained D1 players I can think of...and I agree not every D1 team can be consisted of good players.  Some are just fodders because they just need to spend their budget and fill the position.  All I've got to say is that most guys are extremely full of themselves when it comes to competitive vball.  Most of them can't hold their own either, cuz some of the nicest guys off court, are some of the best on court and even more competitive, cuz they are that much better than the rest.  Sure I understand that if you're not of college age anymore you really can't compete on that performance level anymore.  But skill wise, if you still got it...you learn to play just differently  and I've seen old guys over 50+ who can still whoop those skilled college age players (not necessarily D1 team players).

bulbasaur

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2014, 09:01:56 AM »
The run of the mill D1 players are really not that great.  The California ones, yes they are really good.   They are pretty much the Olympic teams.  However, the run of the mill D1 players might only be a bit better than really good long time players.  Go look at the actual list of D1 schools with programs.  D1 competition consists of D2 schools, and that is today.  The list of schools 15-20 years was even smaller.  When D1 wants to practice, they call up other club teams at other D1 schools.  Outside of California and minus a few schools, men's volleyball really isn't that popular....at least that was how it was before.  I really have no idea about today.  By the time I quit the game, I didn't even see the D1 players come out to the tournaments anymore. 

When we were playing against them, we had a big gun.  He was a graduate student at the time.  The guy was spiking over 10 ft.  The other guys were also graduate students too, and they were at least as good as the D1 guys.  Good times. 

I am horrible at the game now.  I went out a year ago, and I was awful.  The eyes are faster than the body.  The touch is gone.  Weak snap.  No air.  I had an impressive dig that got crowd applause, but that kind of play was normal back in the day.  Also, if I had been faster, I wouldn't have even needed to dig.  I feel a little sad about it, but I suppose I can't play forever.  At least there is still basketball....

Those don't sound like any trained D1 players I can think of...and I agree not every D1 team can be consisted of good players.  Some are just fodders because they just need to spend their budget and fill the position.  All I've got to say is that most guys are extremely full of themselves when it comes to competitive vball.  Most of them can't hold their own either, cuz some of the nicest guys off court, are some of the best on court and even more competitive, cuz they are that much better than the rest.  Sure I understand that if you're not of college age anymore you really can't compete on that performance level anymore.  But skill wise, if you still got it...you learn to play just differently  and I've seen old guys over 50+ who can still whoop those skilled college age players (not necessarily D1 team players).

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2014, 10:13:57 AM »
Today's talents are even less...it's kind of been that way...a slow progression of less skillful players.  It's kind of politics and funding budgets.   If you get money...you sometimes just fill the positions...no t the best players...but more like a coaches ability to play the players.  Understand how coaches operates.  I mean a few movies about how mostly pro football operates...in a hollywood entertainment way, but still some truths to it.

Anyway some DIII schools have better vball teams than some DI school...speak ing women's.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2014, 06:45:07 PM »

Don't let age be a factor!  Especially in vball!

The only factor is the shape a person is in!

If you're healthy and can run around You can still hang! 

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Advertisements