Advertisement

Author Topic: Merced County swears in nation's first Hmong judge  (Read 5003 times)

Offline jon_jon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +159
    • View Profile
Merced County swears in nation's first Hmong judge
« on: April 20, 2014, 06:37:00 AM »
Paul L.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/politics&id=9509254

MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) --  A new judge is sworn into Merced County Superior Court, but it's sparking national attention.

For the first time in the history of the United States, a Hmong man is now a superior court judge. Paul Lo, 45, was sworn in as a Merced County judge on Friday in front of countless family members, friends and community members -- all emotional at the sight of immense triumph.

"For him to be in that role now that we have young folks that are coming up that can say 'look, he's on the bench, and we can aspire to become successful,' and so those are important role models that are establishing now," said Fresno City Councilman Blong Xiong.

Lo has crossed more than just judiciary hurdles. He crossed an ocean to get to where he is today. As a child, Lo was one of many Hmong fearing persecution in Vietnam after the Vietnam War. Many Hmong assisted Americans in the war and had to flee the country.

"They paved the way for us to be here tonight with their lives. They left everything they ever knew, lost everything they ever owned, and braved the unknown," said Lo.

Many political leaders including Rep. Jim Costa, D-Fresno, spoke proudly at Friday's historical event.

"That still is a beacon of light throughout the world that you can come here with nothing but the clothes on your back, and if you work hard and you get a good education, you can succeed," said Costa.

Merced County has the fifth largest Hmong community in the country -- now fit with a role model to inspire for generations to come.

Like this post: 0
“our worlds collided and in an instant your ocean had color because of my sky.”

—r.m. drake

Adverstisement

The_Scholar

Re: Merced County swears in nation's first Hmong judge
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 10:46:52 PM »
Congratulation!!!

I will even applaud him more, if he punish all those Hmong thugs in Merced.

Luther

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 04:35:48 PM »
I would applaud him even more if he punishes all those white wash hmong people,mexicans, blacks, and every single white person that appears in front of him :)

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 04:37:59 PM »
I'm happy for him.   :)

Luther

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 04:38:18 PM »
but nevertheless.. ..a HUGE congratulation s to Paul.  History is being made one day, one person at a time, at a time when Hmong people needed most O0 O0 O0

Advertisements