Advertisement

Author Topic: anyawys! We're playing ball... this guy's 6'3... I'm a shortie myself at 5'4...  (Read 1418 times)

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
So he gets the ball and he's pushing up the court and takes it down the lane....

Remember he's 6'3.... i'm almost a whole foot shorter than him.... and he's 250... big heavy guy...

Anyways so he takes it down the lane, I see him coming it's just me back on D and so I back up some a little bit and try to guage him and attempt to go for a block...

So we're like 3 feet from the basket and I jump up to do the come down swat as they go for the shot and you know what he does?!?!

You know what he does!  I cracked up after....

He DUCKS like it would've been possible for me to block him!  This guy is 6'3!  Even if I jumped and he's just plain ole standing up with his arms up, there's no way I'd even be able to block him!

Anyways he undercuts me and I fall hard on the ground... 

But I just thought it was funnie that he was actually afraid that I would've blocked him.

A little earlier it was just me on D and he was driving down the lane basically a one on one and he drove hard to the basket... I made it hard on him and he had to go reverse and he missed it.

I guess he was a bit intimidated by me because earlier I had did an up and under scoop on him and another shot where really, I just took it straight at him and went up on him and scored right over him.

Let that be a lesson to all my hmong's!  Size doesn't really matter!  It's all about your aggressiveness and game!  Have faith in yourself folks!  I routinely play with bigger folks!  6 footer's and up!  I just wish I was more in shape so I can run around more. 

Like this post: 0
I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Adverstisement

bulbasaur

Intimidation advantage goes for every sport and level, even the professional level.  Tyson went on a rampage based on his reputation.  A lot of people went into the Tyson fights expecting to get knocked out, and they did. 

As for pickup basketball, no one should be afraid of taller competition. They obviously have their advantage, but the shorter players have theirs too.  As much as short guys do not like to guard tall guys in the paint, tall guys do not like to guard short guys on the outside, especially if the short guy is running around. 

Here are a few of my tips and tricks playing against taller guys in pickup games:

1.  Run around.  Big guys do not like to run, turn, and pivot.  Eventually, you'll get a free jumper, lane, or lay.  Make enough baskets or an impressive play, and they'll get scared.

2.  Dribbling Exhibition.  Even if you don't have great dribbling skills, pretend that you do.  A big guy is not going to take the ball from you; he has to bend too much.  If he reach, you teach.  He'll eventually back off.  Most big guys would rather give up the jumper or lane than get embarrassed.

3.  The Post without the Ball.  As odd as this may seem, posting a big man is easier than what you think.  In a pickup game, a guy isn't going to push you out unless you have a reputation for posting.  This gives a odd match-up.  If you get the ball, around 5-10 feet, you have options.  Pump fake, scoop, fade, hook, opposite lay, or pass.  Or, run back out and turn and shoot.  A big man probably won't follow you too closely; if he does, drive by.  As the shorter guy, your footwork and center of gravity is better (at least should be). 

Before I started playing basketball, I always assumed that taller, bigger, stronger guys were better.  With more experience, it's easier to see that everyone has advantages and disadvantages. 

Defense is harder, but there are tricks too.  Maybe another day. 

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
Man!

I guard tall guys in the paint.

Becuase the thing is, all big guys don't know how to play in the paint.  They think they are guards so they want to dribble around and take outside shots or drive to the basket so when they are posting up in the paint, they don't know what to do!  Truth!

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

PebHmoobUnited

no offense for short people....but watching midgets running around is funny!  :2funny:

PebHmoobUnited

short people can't "dunk it"
!!! ua tsaug.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
I see you like basketball players... 

Ok fine fine sweet tears, YOU can date me!!

Advertisements