Advertisement

Author Topic: Hmong Chiyou  (Read 3735 times)

Offline jon_jon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +159
    • View Profile
Hmong Chiyou
« on: May 14, 2014, 10:00:15 PM »
Is this leader a myth and legend or is he a real Hmong leader? Who is the real Chiyou?

I've been getting mixed reviews and suppositions over people telling me their story of Chiyou.

Heres another story:

"Legend has it that the Hmong were a brave and strong group.  Thousands of years ago, they fought against the Han Chinese to protect their land and culture.  The Hmong won 9 out of 10 battles.  On the 10th battle, Hmong officials betrayed their king, Chiyou (Txiv Yawg).  It was because of this betrayal that the Chinese won the last battle and captured and executed Chiyou.  They cut up his body into 7 pieces and scattered it all over China so the Hmong people will never be reunited again.  Today, the Hmong are displaced all over the world, from China, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand to Australia, France, Canada, the US."

http://ahmongwoman.com/hmong/

Like this post: 0
“our worlds collided and in an instant your ocean had color because of my sky.”

—r.m. drake

Adverstisement

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
Re: Hmong Chiyou
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 11:54:16 AM »
He's a mythological creature.  Well after looking at the pic over he's a full tyrant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chi_You.gif

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 12:04:46 PM by Gracified23 »

chidorix0x

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 04:28:07 PM »
jon_jon,

Regardless of whether Chiyou is real or mythological, one thing I am quite certain of (via my personal research), is that is he is less Hmong (including Hmong-Chinese) than we want to believe or have been mislead to believe and spoon-fed.  The only thing that is fact about Chiyou and his people is that they were not Chinese, and were defeated/persecuted by the Chinese throughout Chinese antiquity.

f.u.too

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 01:12:56 PM »
Is this leader a myth and legend or is he a real Hmong leader? Who is the real Chiyou?

I've been getting mixed reviews and suppositions over people telling me their story of Chiyou.

Heres another story:

"Legend has it that the Hmong were a brave and strong group.  Thousands of years ago, they fought against the Han Chinese to protect their land and culture.  The Hmong won 9 out of 10 battles.  On the 10th battle, Hmong officials betrayed their king, Chiyou (Txiv Yawg).  It was because of this betrayal that the Chinese won the last battle and captured and executed Chiyou.  They cut up his body into 7 pieces and scattered it all over China so the Hmong people will never be reunited again.  Today, the Hmong are displaced all over the world, from China, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand to Australia, France, Canada, the US."

http://ahmongwoman.com/hmong/

Chiyou is a real person, The Chinese have acknowlegde this. The Korean also lay claim to Chiyou. As for being a mythical creatures everything get changes from mouth to mouth.
Another hundred years from now. Vangpao will be seen as a mythical creature that protected the hmong people from the vietnamese. I have even heard people making claim that vangpao
was a god among us. Most of the older people who carry the knowledge are passing away without passing on the knowledge, even though its just legend, it does carry some truth to it.
I have listen to many elder tell the story and though they are not all the same, they all refer to chiyou and the 10 battles and the betrayal that lead to his death.
I would sugguest asking your elder and see if they know the story of chiyou.

HUNG TU LO

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 05:15:22 PM »
I was able to search for my old post awhile back:
Chi You/Txiv Yawg is nothing but a legend at this point. Chinese documents, more mythical than actual historical accounts, describe Chi You as having a part animal head and body and possessing multiple limbs. The great battle describes using breath of fog and bringing in spirits to aid in the fight. This sounds more like a fight in Final Fantasy VII video game, not a real war. This is a legend, like Zeus. Nothing more, nothing less.

Anyone who thinks he is the Hmong king and can wield a 100lbs sword into battle, based on legends and myth, is out of touch at a level beyond belief. There is not enough sufficient information to suggest Chi You was a real man in existence at some point in history or that Hmong can trace our lineage back to Chi You. Not saying that he was never a real person in existence at one time, but he sure didn't have an animal head and six arms or could breathe fog to obscure vision.

Another hundred years from now. Vangpao will be seen as a mythical creature that protected the hmong people from the vietnamese. I have even heard people making claim that vangpao
was a god among us.

Regardless of what folk hero image Vang Pao has hundreds of years from now, there will be written history as to who Gen. Vang Pao is, the "Secret War", as well as his life and death. However, you can't say the same for Chi You. Like I mentioned above, the only written documents concerning Chiyou is always something ridiculous like that he fought with a 100lbs sword as well as other silly stuff I posted such as being able to blow fog from his mouth to change the battlefield conditions.

If that's the kind of shit you take as truth, then that's your problem. I prefer to go with reality and (written) history. Legends and folktale are not history. But legends and folktale are a part of culture, literature, and life. Let's not discredit legends by comparing them with real written history because then, legends looks like horse shit next to written history.

Offline dlabtsi_os

• Jr. Poster
  • AMAZZZZZZON!
  • Respect: +42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 04:45:29 PM »
It doesn't take a brain that the three father of China are myth. Many people denounce Chi You just prefer to look at hard evidence. The only significant about Chi You is that our Hmong Elder cleverly use as a tool to observe what many extreme national Chinese view about themselves and other. To be blunt Chinese use Huangdi and Yandi as symbol how successful they have achieved when assimilating many groups of people. Chi You is the antithesis of not willingly to assimilate. Regardless there notable figures that are said to worship Chi You. Qin Shi Huangdi and Lieu Bang are examples.

Late Edit: To be fair. I even question Chi You as our legitimate ancestry. Even our elder may also disagree about Chi You.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:52:55 AM by dlabtsi_os »

Test your might!

Advertisements