Advertisement

Author Topic: What is your favorite Classic Novel  (Read 24273 times)

Offline ICU2

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
What is your favorite Classic Novel
« on: June 24, 2014, 02:25:21 PM »
Have you read a classic and what is your favorite?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

ButterflyKisses

Re: What is your favorite Classic Novel
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 02:37:16 PM »
Hmm... classics.  What is considered a classic?  I liked 1984.  What about you?  I also enjoyed reading Odysseus.

zena

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 11:49:47 AM »
David Copperfield by Charles D.ickens

Offline ICU2

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 10:30:11 AM »
Can u tell me a little about why u like the book u mentioned?  I want to find out if it's interesting to read.

zena

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 12:09:14 PM »
I read David Copperfield when I was in High School (read Great Expectations by the same author for an AP English class and really liked his writing style so picked up David Copperfield) so I really can't remember everything about the story.  I'm planning on re-reading it again.

Here's a synopsis from Goodreads:

David Copperfield is the story of a young man’s adventures on his journey from an unhappy & impoverished childhood to the discovery of his vocation as a successful novelist. Among the gloriously vivid cast of characters he encounters are his tyrannical stepfather, Mr Murdstone; his formidable aunt, Betsey Trotwood; the eternally humble yet treacherous Uriah Heep; frivolous, enchanting Dora; & the magnificently impecunious Micawber, one of literature’s great comic creations.

REF

zena

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 12:14:20 PM »
Another classic that really stood out is East of Eden by John Steinbeck.  I wouldn't call it a favorite or anything but it left an imprint on me.  I can still remember the character, Cathy, clearly.  I would call her the evilest of all evil.  She is an extreme mind manipulator and what scares me is that there are people who are like her in this world AND that I've actually encountered someone like her.

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Set in the rich farmland of California’s Salinas Valley, this sprawling and often brutal novel follows the intertwined destinies of two families—the Trasks and the Hamiltons—whose generations helplessly reenact the fall of Adam and Eve and the poisonous rivalry of Cain and Abel. Here Steinbeck created some of his most memorable characters and explored his most enduring themes: the mystery of identity; the inexplicabilit y of love; and the murderous consequences of love’s absence.

REF

Offline ICU2

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 04:41:38 PM »
Thanks Moonangel.  ;)

those sound like interesting reads.  since i have all those books, including the other two suggested from BK and the other person, i may just pop it open for a read after i'm finished with the current books.

ButterflyKisses

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 04:59:37 PM »
The Great Expectation was another memorable one.  I read this back in high school and I still remember a lot of in great details.  Wikipedia have some info on it. 

What are some of your favorite ICU2, and why? 

ButterflyKisses

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 05:01:32 PM »
I read David Copperfield when I was in High School (read Great Expectations by the same author for an AP English class and really liked his writing style so picked up David Copperfield) so I really can't remember everything about the story.  I'm planning on re-reading it again.

Here's a synopsis from Goodreads:

David Copperfield is the story of a young man’s adventures on his journey from an unhappy & impoverished childhood to the discovery of his vocation as a successful novelist. Among the gloriously vivid cast of characters he encounters are his tyrannical stepfather, Mr Murdstone; his formidable aunt, Betsey Trotwood; the eternally humble yet treacherous Uriah Heep; frivolous, enchanting Dora; & the magnificently impecunious Micawber, one of literature’s great comic creations.

REF

Was David Copperfield as good as The Great Expectation?

zena

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 06:28:19 PM »
Thanks Moonangel.  ;)

those sound like interesting reads.  since i have all those books, including the other two suggested from BK and the other person, i may just pop it open for a read after i'm finished with the current books.

You're welcome.  Let us know what you think.

zena

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 06:30:30 PM »
Was David Copperfield as good as The Great Expectation?

I thought they were both equally good.

Offline ICU2

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 12:20:13 PM »
The Great Expectation was another memorable one.  I read this back in high school and I still remember a lot of in great details.  Wikipedia have some info on it. 

What are some of your favorite ICU2, and why?

Great Expectation would be my numero uno also.  Following that would be an equal draw with Heart of Darkness and Catch 22.  Now, Catch 22 is a funny, dumb, book.  The writing style is also just that.  The characters, the storyline, the plots are all funny dumb yet intertaining.  You either like it or would probably hate it.  Though this isn't entirely a classic.

Loved the writing style and loved the story of Great Expectation.

ButterflyKisses

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 12:41:58 PM »
ICU2,

I take it that you have read it before too? 

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
  • Respect: +1038
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 01:15:58 PM »
I don't necessarily have one favorite, but these are some of my favorite classics:

Pride and Prejudice
Jane Eyre
Great Expectations
Oliver Twist
Emma
Sense and Sensibility
Wuthering Heights

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

Offline ICU2

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 01:32:40 PM »
I don't necessarily have one favorite, but these are some of my favorite classics:

Pride and Prejudice
Jane Eyre
Great Expectations
Oliver Twist
Emma
Sense and Sensibility
Wuthering Heights

Hi beautiful. ;)

I have all of them, i really do just haven't read them  ;D .  So which one would u recommend? 

Advertisements