Advertisement

Author Topic: What is your favorite Classic Novel  (Read 24269 times)

ButterflyKisses

Re: What is your favorite Classic Novel
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2014, 01:03:39 PM »
Hahahahahha...

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Bokehlicious

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2014, 09:24:52 PM »
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne.

I have read it in high school and didn't have much appreciation for the premise/characters (especially Captain Nemo) surrounding the story until I reread it again as an adult. 

Here, Nemo dominates the book.  He provides a wonderful study of the complexities of humanity; Nemo is a man of his word, a genius, a gentleman (he is reduced to tears at the death of a crewman, he rescues an unknown pearl diver at his own risk)...yet there is something cruel and dangerous about him (he sinks ships and submerges beneath the waves to callously watch as they descend to their doom).  He is an admirer of Abraham Lincoln and a self-proclaimed defender of the oppressed.  He is the tyrant fighting tyranny...who evokes both sympathy and irony.

What I most enjoyed about reading 20K is that throughout the book, Verne infuses the idea of science through stunning descriptions of the undersea world...from the flora to its fauna and the curiosities of how the ocean operates. 

hollywoodgirl

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2014, 09:30:40 PM »
I love readying about Greek mythology.

hollywoodgirl

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2014, 09:32:30 PM »
The  Narnia Chronicles..al l the books. I read them all. I also love ready about Regency romance novels

Offline ICU2

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2014, 11:58:29 PM »
The  Narnia Chronicles..al l the books. I read them all. I also love ready about Regency romance novels

Did u think the movies did anything justice to the books.  I've only watched the movies.

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
  • Respect: +1038
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 05:23:15 PM »
i started to read Tale of Two Cities some years ago, but the drama didn't pick up fast enough for me and put the book down.  The Ad of Tom Sawyer and To Kill a Mockingbird were school readings, which were okay.  The Odyssey was a college course book and Of Mice and Men was a decent read.  That leaves Catcher in the Rye and Farewell to Arms, both of which i also have.  I'll read a couple of chapters and see what happens.

thanks for the recommendation beautiful  ;)

You should give some of them a chance.  I admit, some may be slow reads AT FIRST but it will usually pick up along the way.  I enjoyed each of those books immensely.   ;D

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

Offline ICU2

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2014, 12:04:17 PM »
You should give some of them a chance.  I admit, some may be slow reads AT FIRST but it will usually pick up along the way.  I enjoyed each of those books immensely.   ;D

when time permits, i shall indulge myself in those two books

here's to you beautiful  ;)

ButterflyKisses

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2014, 01:24:59 PM »

If a book doesn't hook me in the first few chapters, I will open it to the middle and if I am still bored after a few pages, then I leave it alone.  There's too many wonderful things out there to try and make it through something boring.

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2014, 06:22:36 PM »
when time permits, i shall indulge myself in those two books

here's to you beautiful  ;)

And not just those two.....    :P

If a book doesn't hook me in the first few chapters, I will open it to the middle and if I am still bored after a few pages, then I leave it alone.  There's too many wonderful things out there to try and make it through something boring.

I don't like reading from the middle.  There may be things that I miss out on or have questions about, so I prefer to just read from the beginning.  I admit, there are some classics that I find boring and like you, I'll put it down.    ;D

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

Offline ICU2

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2014, 02:48:44 PM »
And not just those two.....    :P

i don't have time for all of them, which is your must read classic?  i'll check that one out.  ;D

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 08:11:48 AM »
i don't have time for all of them, which is your must read classic?  i'll check that one out.  ;D

Hehehe.  The question is, what type of books pique your interest?   Once I know, I may be able to recommend.    ;D

Offline ICU2

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2014, 11:21:54 AM »
Hehehe.  The question is, what type of books pique your interest?   Once I know, I may be able to recommend.    ;D

i am interested in your book, in you?  what do you recommend i read?  i want to know what is fascinating to Trouble, what piques her interest.  ;)

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2014, 02:04:40 PM »
But what piques my interest may not pique yours.......so isn't it better to tell me what types of book you would prefer......   ;D

Offline ICU2

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2014, 05:36:37 PM »
But what piques my interest may not pique yours.......so isn't it better to tell me what types of book you would prefer......   ;D

what if you pique my interest more, and i just want to get to know you a little better by knowing what kind of books you like to read  ;)

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2014, 07:40:16 PM »
I'm a very boring person so I doubt I could pique anyone's interest.  ;D

Advertisements