Advertisement

Author Topic: What is your favorite Classic Novel  (Read 24281 times)

Offline ICU2

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite Classic Novel
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2014, 11:02:28 AM »
I'm a very boring person so I doubt I could pique anyone's interest.  ;D

you don't have to be interesting to pique my interest.  you just have to be you  ;)

but i really doubt if you're boring...from the looks of your threads anyway ;)

i supposed what you need is a dose of fun... :o and you know what that is?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
  • Respect: +1038
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2014, 11:06:58 PM »
Yes, I do know what that is............ a fun book to read.   ;D

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

Offline ICU2

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2014, 06:12:51 PM »
Yes, I do know what that is............ a fun book to read.   ;D

forget the books, you sound like you need to go on a vacation  ;) to a place far far away and write about it

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2014, 09:32:11 AM »
I have gone on a vacation far far away.......... ..in my head, and I've written about it too.  Hehehe.    :D    :P

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

Offline ICU2

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2014, 12:38:29 PM »
I have gone on a vacation far far away.......... ..in my head, and I've written about it too.  Hehehe.    :D    :P

if you have one, i want to read it, really.  ;D

u know where i'd like to go

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2014, 09:55:04 AM »
It probably wouldn't interest you since it's so disheartening and melancholy.    :P

Hmmmmm....Hawa ii?   Hehehe.

Offline ICU2

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2014, 10:45:58 AM »
It probably wouldn't interest you since it's so disheartening and melancholy.    :P

Hmmmmm....Hawa ii?   Hehehe.

Hawaii sounds like fun, a walk along the sandy beach, snorkling for lobsters in the ocean blue sea or just lounging on a chir, sipping on a cold pina colada watching the sun set

i can definitely see that  ;) ;)

Ever been to Hawaii?  i could take you  ;) ;)

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2014, 09:47:25 AM »
Another classic that really stood out is East of Eden by John Steinbeck.  I wouldn't call it a favorite or anything but it left an imprint on me.  I can still remember the character, Cathy, clearly.  I would call her the evilest of all evil.  She is an extreme mind manipulator and what scares me is that there are people who are like her in this world AND that I've actually encountered someone like her.

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Set in the rich farmland of California’s Salinas Valley, this sprawling and often brutal novel follows the intertwined destinies of two families—the Trasks and the Hamiltons—whose generations helplessly reenact the fall of Adam and Eve and the poisonous rivalry of Cain and Abel. Here Steinbeck created some of his most memorable characters and explored his most enduring themes: the mystery of identity; the inexplicabilit y of love; and the murderous consequences of love’s absence.

REF

Sounds interesting. I like novels where characters are well-crafted through subtleties rather than the obvious. However, I have never picked up another Steinbeck book since "Of Mice and Men", which I read in junior high. It was rather boring but then again I was only in junior high. I'm sure my review of the book as an adult will be different. However, just how evil is Cathy? One thing I can't stand are story lines where the villain is over the top but keeps getting away with his/her antics because people are either too stupid or too forgiving. It's one reason why I quit "The Vampire Diaries", "American Horror Stories", and "The Secret Life of the American Teenager". 

H.H. Vangh

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2014, 02:56:36 PM »
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin, The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, The Art of War Sun Tzu and I'm reading the Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi.

zena

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2016, 03:26:26 PM »
Sounds interesting. I like novels where characters are well-crafted through subtleties rather than the obvious. However, I have never picked up another Steinbeck book since "Of Mice and Men", which I read in junior high. It was rather boring but then again I was only in junior high. I'm sure my review of the book as an adult will be different. However, just how evil is Cathy? One thing I can't stand are story lines where the villain is over the top but keeps getting away with his/her antics because people are either too stupid or too forgiving. It's one reason why I quit "The Vampire Diaries", "American Horror Stories", and "The Secret Life of the American Teenager".

Cathy is pure evil but she gives you (or gave me, rather) goosebumps because the qualities in her are the qualities that are in every human.  I don't think it's anything like the ones you've mentioned.  I'd read it again but her evilness scares me so I'm going to wait awhile.

zena

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2016, 03:34:42 PM »
A classic that I loved was Alice Adams by Booth Tarkington.  It is a story about the early 1920's when American society was in a caste system.  The situation was that Alice's family fell backward while her neighbors and friends moved forward.  They were able to ride the wave of change and profit hugely while Alice's family chose not to for various reasons and ended up poor.  It really touches the heart.

Phab Ej Dao Vue

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2017, 05:38:47 AM »
this

and this

didn't see that coming huh you pretentious judgmental asshats.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2017, 06:06:04 AM »
Your classics looks like required high school readings!

Anyways...  I remember

Animal Farm?  I liked reading that one.
A Day No pigs Would Die was another good one.  I think I was to young to really understand it all.
Charlottes Web is a good one.  Seems kiddie but it's good.
LOrd of the Flies is a good one..better than the movie for sure, my teacher was able to ...well it was weird...
Anyone of the Lord of the Rings..that was the only book in school everyone actually enjoyed reading and actually went and read the rest of the trilogy by ourselves (this was way before the movie came out).

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2017, 06:08:14 AM »
I remember reading the great gatsby too.  Our teacher wouldn't let us watch the movie because she said we'd be cheating!

I think I vaguely remember reading North and South...

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Phab Ej Dao Vue

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2018, 04:49:43 AM »
I don't look upon classics too fondly. For one thing they remind me of long, dull papers full of asinine critical analyses we were forced to write. For another, they were usually long and tedious to get through. But my favorites are mostly the ones I found on my own such as Jane Eyre and Pride & Prejudice. Two notable classics that I had to read for school that I didn't mind were the Great Gatsby and North & South by Elizabeth Gaskell. There is actually a great adaptation of North & South starring Richard Armitage (the actor who plays Thorin in The Hobbit). You can find it on Netflix.

I hate reading. Thank God for Sparknotes and movies for getting me through school hehe.

Like this post: +1

Advertisements