Advertisement

Author Topic: Stand Your Ground: Chai Vang Case Revisited  (Read 33533 times)

vl

Re: Stand Your Ground: Chai Vang Case Revisited
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 09:32:20 AM »
I think Chai Vang was too honest when testifying for his case.  When he was asked if insert_name_he re should have died and his reply was "Yes" he made himself look like a savage.  I see how Hmong OGs would say yes to someone who dealed their own death card, but OGs these days need to understand the American mentality.  If Chai Vang wasn't as honest as he was I think the case would have swayed in more of his favor.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

PebHmoobUnited

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 02:15:08 PM »
mloog zoo zoo nawb!

6 dead rednecks for one hmong....JUSTI CE is SERVED in the name of humanity!!!! 

Always remember...."know your enemy and know yourself"-Sun Tsu.

If you are push to the brink of insanity where you feel your life is in danger....say a prayer and take out your threat, but make sure you walk out of there as the lone survivor.   Dead man speak no tale.

Get this through your skull, hmoob men!

LadyLionness

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 04:34:44 PM »
That's what he tried to do.  The world does not work that way.  If his life was in danger, take out the threat, but seek help right away.  Call the cops as soon as he is able to... and report the incident and the threat.  And if he was that good, he should just shoot to maim them.

Offline dogmai

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 04:41:38 PM »
mloog zoo zoo nawb!

6 dead rednecks for one hmong....JUSTI CE is SERVED in the name of humanity!!!! 

Always remember...."know your enemy and know yourself"-Sun Tsu.

If you are push to the brink of insanity where you feel your life is in danger....say a prayer and take out your threat, but make sure you walk out of there as the lone survivor.   Dead man speak no tale.

Get this through your skull, hmoob men!

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 11:55:05 PM »
The most incriminating thing is what you said in that last paragraph.  Two years in prison and he came out with no remorse.  He went on the stand and said that they deserved to die. 

As for stand your ground, I am not sure.  I agree with you that it is most likely self defense.  If I recall correctly, the news article said that the Meka people shot first... two shots hit the trees near his head.  That's when he dropped down and took them out one by one. 

What he said was just stating the truth. Who in the right mind would intimidate and threatens another fellow hunter out in the woods? Anyone doing so deserves to die! This country's laws are just so f'en stupid. The aggressor always goes unpunished and those whom retaliate gets maximum sentence. DNR rules should apply, baiting is a crime, why isn't it in Chai's case, he was baited to act?

Regarding the stand your ground law, it would have not help this gook because you're surrounded by an all white jury who's opinions and decisions has already been made the minute they'd heard some hunters had bit the dust.

LadyLionness

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 08:52:34 AM »
Nightrider, I agree with your assessment.  And no matter what he said on the stand, he was doomed anyway.  However, I do believe that after sitting in prison for two years, he would have came up with something better. 

At the same time, I understand why he said what he did.  He was going to prison anyway.  He knew that already.  He was sending a message out to the meka people who think they own this land... loud and clear:

Treat people the way you WANT to be treated.  There are consequences to every action.  He behaved in the same way that they did towards him.  The ONLY DIFFERENCE was that he was trained as a sniper and they were just mere hunters. 

If this was a war zone, he would have been a hero.

PebHmoobUnited

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 10:56:20 AM »
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

Nightrider, I agree with your assessment.  And no matter what he said on the stand, he was doomed anyway.  However, I do believe that after sitting in prison for two years, he would have came up with something better. 

At the same time, I understand why he said what he did.  He was going to prison anyway.  He knew that already.  He was sending a message out to the meka people who think they own this land... loud and clear:

Treat people the way you WANT to be treated.  There are consequences to every action.  He behaved in the same way that they did towards him.  The ONLY DIFFERENCE was that he was trained as a sniper and they were just mere hunters. 

Chai vang is a HERO regardless!!! A hero to those who can not defend themselves in the face of these prehistoric neanderthals!

PebHmoobUnited

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 12:58:40 PM »
Would you have handle the situation differently or the same way?

The only different would be to make sure none of them live to tell their side of the story knowing how the system never favor a minority.   O0

LaibLaus

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 06:44:22 PM »
Chai vang is a HERO regardless!!! A hero to those who can not defend themselves in the face of these prehistoric neanderthals!

He may be your hero but his deliberate decision to sit in someone else's deer stand escalated to the point of no return. Shooting the unarmed men and a woman, it takes a certain person to be able to accomplish that and the word is not even close to hero but the exact opposite.

He's a murderer in my book, nothing more or less and deserves to be in that tiny cell until his end.

bulbasaur

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 07:02:15 PM »
This thread wasn't really meant to be a morality topic, but...

1.  Calling Vang a hero might be a bit too far.
2.  Calling him a straight-up cold murderer might be too far too. 

Vang was originally in the wrong.  He shouldn't have even been there.  Also, from his own account, he checked a person whom he already shot.  The person was already disabled from combat, but he killed the person anyways. 

That being said, it was a stressful situation.  It would be hard for anyone to keep all these moral and legal issues in mind while guns are being shot.  Moreover, if Vang was a straight-up cold murderer, he would have shot the white people from the tree stand.  Clearly, Vang was trying to leave, but somehow he didn't. 

No one really knows what happened in those woods but the people who were there.  Who shot first?  Whose life was in danger?  The white people's account is not consistent or even realistic.  Vang's actions were brutal.  The white people are dead, and Vang is in prison. 

LaibLaus

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 07:13:47 PM »
This thread wasn't really meant to be a morality topic, but...

1.  Calling Vang a hero might be a bit too far.
2.  Calling him a straight-up cold murderer might be too far too. 

Vang was originally in the wrong.  He shouldn't have even been there.  Also, from his own account, he checked a person whom he already shot.  The person was already disabled from combat, but he killed the person anyways. 

That being said, it was a stressful situation.  It would be hard for anyone to keep all these moral and legal issues in mind while guns are being shot.  Moreover, if Vang was a straight-up cold murderer, he would have shot the white people from the tree stand.  Clearly, Vang was trying to leave, but somehow he didn't. 

No one really knows what happened in those woods but the people who were there.  Who shot first?  Whose life was in danger?  The white people's account is not consistent or even realistic.  Vang's actions were brutal.  The white people are dead, and Vang is in prison.

I said murderer nothing more or less but since you now have mentioned that he checked for life signs and then killed after the person(s) was/were disabled; I am changing my stance to a cold blooded murderer. ;)

bulbasaur

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 07:21:03 PM »
The counter-argument is whether it is expected for a person to be able to keep sense of moral and legal issues during times like this?  Some people have their judgement impaired if they have a bad hair day.  If Vang thought his life was in danger, is it so illogical to eliminate all threats?  A disabled person could still call for help against him.  Vang had no idea how many more of them there were, and he had a long way to go to get to safety. 

It should be noted that Vang was completely cooperative with the police......pr obably a little bit too cooperative.  Cold-blooded murderers usually don't do that.  Bad lawyer. 

Once again, no one really knows what happened in those woods but those people. 

I said murderer nothing more or less but since you now have mentioned that he checked for life signs and then killed after the person(s) was/were disabled; I am changing my stance to a cold blooded murderer. ;)

Offline dogmai

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 07:28:41 PM »
The stand your ground won't help him because he he went after the other people. Maybe if he shot them right then and called the cops, that might of helped him. Although it was a bad thing that those people got killed, something good did come out of it. The event showed people how people shouldn't handle a situation like that, from both parties.

Something similar happened to my cousins. They made a smart choice and decided to leave instead of making the situation worse.

LaibLaus

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 08:22:05 PM »
The counter-argument is whether it is expected for a person to be able to keep sense of moral and legal issues during times like this?  Some people have their judgement impaired if they have a bad hair day.  If Vang thought his life was in danger, is it so illogical to eliminate all threats?  A disabled person could still call for help against him.  Vang had no idea how many more of them there were, and he had a long way to go to get to safety. 

It should be noted that Vang was completely cooperative with the police......pr obably a little bit too cooperative.  Cold-blooded murderers usually don't do that.  Bad lawyer. 

Once again, no one really knows what happened in those woods but those people.

We can only speculate from the outcome but my guess is that he is either all in or none at all type of guy. Once he took the first shot, he wanted everyone dead with actions like checking for life signs then killing and shooting them from behind. He deserved the sentence he was given.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 10:33:04 PM »

I don't think he understands what's in store for him. If he knew, he would of taken his life like a coward or make his stand, give them war and die a WARRIOR. There's no country for Hmong, better to die free and with dignity... But instead, he hesitate and think that he has some hope in this kangaroo circuit court or hope that the world would understand him and turned himself in. Just makes you wonder how a man like that can be all bruised up in this orange jump suit, right? I bet he regret his final actions...

Advertisements