Advertisement

Author Topic: Stand Your Ground: Chai Vang Case Revisited  (Read 33757 times)

bulbasaur

Re: Stand Your Ground: Chai Vang Case Revisited
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2014, 11:35:14 PM »
Funny you say that...

A few months prior to Vang's situation, I just bought some land.  I was on scholarship, and I had some money left over.  I didn't want to party my money away, I figured it was a decent investment.  I put up some private property signs around the land.  A few weeks later, I brought some friends to check out what I bought.  We called it the Savage Land because there wasn't anything on it (Plus, we were comic geeks...for those that got the reference).  As we were walking, we met up with a hunter.  It went kinda like this...

Me: Hey, how you doing? 
Hunter:  Mmm.
ME:  See anything out here today?
Hunter:  Not with the noise you making.

He was giving some attitude, and it looked like he was going to say some junk.  So I replied,

Me:  Sorry.  I just bought this land from Person X a few weeks ago.  I put up some private property signs too.  My friends and I were just surveying the land.  The plan is to walk around it starting from the north side. 
Hunter:  Alright.  You have a nice day. 

He didn't give any attitude after that.  There was no need for me to pick a fight because he had the gun.  A few weeks later, the Chai Vang situation occurred.  It wasn't the same thing, but similar. 

The stand your ground won't help him because he he went after the other people. Maybe if he shot them right then and called the cops, that might of helped him. Although it was a bad thing that those people got killed, something good did come out of it. The event showed people how people shouldn't handle a situation like that, from both parties.

Something similar happened to my cousins. They made a smart choice and decided to leave instead of making the situation worse.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline dogmai

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2014, 01:06:41 AM »
Funny you say that...

A few months prior to Vang's situation, I just bought some land.  I was on scholarship, and I had some money left over.  I didn't want to party my money away, I figured it was a decent investment.  I put up some private property signs around the land.  A few weeks later, I brought some friends to check out what I bought.  We called it the Savage Land because there wasn't anything on it (Plus, we were comic geeks...for those that got the reference).  As we were walking, we met up with a hunter.  It went kinda like this...

Me: Hey, how you doing? 
Hunter:  Mmm.
ME:  See anything out here today?
Hunter:  Not with the noise you making.

He was giving some attitude, and it looked like he was going to say some junk.  So I replied,

Me:  Sorry.  I just bought this land from Person X a few weeks ago.  I put up some private property signs too.  My friends and I were just surveying the land.  The plan is to walk around it starting from the north side. 
Hunter:  Alright.  You have a nice day. 

He didn't give any attitude after that.  There was no need for me to pick a fight because he had the gun.  A few weeks later, the Chai Vang situation occurred.  It wasn't the same thing, but similar.

For moment there, I thought you wrote professor x. (referencing savage land) ;D

And sometimes that is the right response. Knowing the situation and having an appropriate response considering the consequences.

PebHmoobUnited

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2014, 09:23:45 AM »
He may be your hero but his deliberate decision to sit in someone else's deer stand escalated to the point of no return. Shooting the unarmed men and a woman, it takes a certain person to be able to accomplish that and the word is not even close to hero but the exact opposite.

He's a murderer in my book, nothing more or less and deserves to be in that tiny cell until his end.

A HERO comes in many forms to many people. If you see Vang as a cold-blooded murder...that's your right.  I find it hard for an asian man, outnumbered, will taunt nor have the capacity to "SHOOT" these prehistoric neanderthals first? My takes is that Vang was harassed, taunted at, call racial names, and SHOT at.  Shooting at someone who's walking away is asking for retaliation/self defense!  When your life is in danger, your first thought is to neutralized the threat at any cost! All else come after when the dust has settled!

LaibLaus

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2014, 03:32:58 PM »
A HERO comes in many forms to many people. If you see Vang as a cold-blooded murder...that's your right.  I find it hard for an asian man, outnumbered, will taunt nor have the capacity to "SHOOT" these prehistoric neanderthals first? My takes is that Vang was harassed, taunted at, call racial names, and SHOT at.  Shooting at someone who's walking away is asking for retaliation/self defense!  When your life is in danger, your first thought is to neutralized the threat at any cost! All else come after when the dust has settled!

Your scenario could very well be right but most of these unarmed people were not a threat. Even in Chai's own words that some did not deserved to die; if anything, he snapped and went overboard and the jurors did right by locking him away.

Envy2

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2014, 03:55:24 PM »
Did he deserved to go to Prison? Yes. Did those people deserved to die? Yes. Is he a Hero? Fawking Yes. No need for mumbo jumbo. It was 1 man vs many who shot at him first and defended himself. He lost it when he started chasing to kill in cold blood. My 2 cents. Keep the change.

Offline dogmai

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2014, 07:24:14 PM »
Did he deserved to go to Prison? Yes. Did those people deserved to die? Yes. Is he a Hero? Fawking Yes. No need for mumbo jumbo. It was 1 man vs many who shot at him first and defended himself. He lost it when he started chasing to kill in cold blood. My 2 cents. Keep the change.

Looks like the guy that killed Cha Vang must be your hero too. And of course if that guy isn't your hero, then the saying is true about you.
It's not offensive until it happens to your own.

Envy2

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2014, 09:03:49 AM »
Looks like the guy that killed Cha Vang must be your hero too. And of course if that guy isn't your hero, then the saying is true about you.
It's not offensive until it happens to your own.

CTRL+ALT+DELETE..LOL

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 01:33:27 PM by Envy2 »

LaibLaus

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2014, 10:39:50 AM »
First of all back the fawk up before you get smack the fawk up. 1) the report of chai vang getting killed is false. 2) why would i say the white person is a hero dumbass? I was referring to chai vang. 3) Chai is my own vang blood. However he is from a different vang clan.  4) the only true thing is that you got smack back into your place.

You are jumping the gun a little: Google is your best friend and dogmai did not make a typo from Chai to Cha Vang. Give you more time to absorb the new info. ;)

Envy2

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2014, 01:34:48 PM »
You are jumping the gun a little: Google is your best friend and dogmai did not make a typo from Chai to Cha Vang. Give you more time to absorb the new info. ;)

Okay I'll admit I made a mistake there. Shit how was i suppose to know the murderer and the murdered got similar names. No wonder I thought that dude spell his name wrong.

Offline dogmai

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2014, 02:40:54 PM »
Okay I'll admit I made a mistake there. Shit how was i suppose to know the murderer and the murdered got similar names. No wonder I thought that dude spell his name wrong.

Did you smack yourself back into place yet? :2funny:

You know how the saying goes, assumption is the mother of all fawk ups.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 03:04:16 PM by dogmai »

bulbasaur

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2014, 02:42:25 AM »
Reasons why Vang shouldn't be called a hero:

1.  He was originally in the wrong.  He shouldn't have been there.  He was trespassing. 
2.  No need to kill a person who is already down. 
3.  The enemy was already running away. 
4.  He had zero remorse for the situation and the killings. 

There could be very good reasons for all of the above.  I defended Vang earlier.  However, that only makes him justified, not a hero.

minorcharacter

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2014, 08:35:32 AM »
I didn't realize that not having a country caused a certain mentality to awaken in people.  Is there a way to identify this or am I pretty ducked?

rose petal

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2014, 10:40:07 AM »
Don't know the full story but if you're Hmong then you know the mentality of Hmong people, especially as a Minority with no Country. Hmong will never barge into others to cause any unnecessary trouble and any animals if cornered to the extreme would bite back.

Vob-Kib

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2014, 11:04:04 AM »
Maybe? However, the courts will still not be in favor of letting him go.

LaibLaus

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2014, 01:24:48 PM »
Reasons why Vang shouldn't be called a hero:

1.  He was originally in the wrong.  He shouldn't have been there.  He was trespassing. 
2.  No need to kill a person who is already down. 
3.  The enemy was already running away. 
4.  He had zero remorse for the situation and the killings. 

There could be very good reasons for all of the above.  I defended Vang earlier. However, that only makes him justified , not a hero.

I find nothing he or the white party did was justifiable. They paid the ultimate price and so did Chai.

Advertisements