Advertisement

Author Topic: Wedding Thank You  (Read 4838 times)

chabee

Wedding Thank You
« on: August 07, 2014, 07:34:10 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7tVuN4D0IE

I'm trying to find out the meaning of "poov" that he referenced. Anyone knows what it means?

I'm guessing "poov" is "to cause stress/hardship"

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

chidorix0x

Re: Wedding Thank You
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 04:29:36 PM »
"Poov" here, or in general and overall, means offerings, money, goods, gifts; precisely it means the food and drinks brought for the wedding feast.

Another way to use "poov" in Hmong is:  Nod yog koj poov. (Here are your goods/shares/gifts.)  Koj yeej los pob poov tag lawm. (Did you win or lose everything?)  Yes, "peev" is another form of the word, but within a traditional setting (wedding), "poov" is the preferred choice for aesthetic formality.

chabee

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 04:32:45 PM »
"Poov" here, or in general and overall, means offerings, money, goods, gifts; precisely it means the food and drinks brought for the wedding feast.

Another way to use "poov" in Hmong is:  Nod yog koj poov. (Here are your goods/shares/gifts.)  Koj yeej los pob poov tag lawm. (Did you win or lose everything?)  Yes, "peev" is another form of the word, but within a traditional setting (wedding), "poov" is the preferred choice for aesthetic formality.

Thanks brother! Your example rang a bell and made sense.
Much appreciation for the fast response.

chidorix0x

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 12:10:43 AM »
Thanks brother! Your example rang a bell and made sense.
Much appreciation for the fast response.

No prob.  (Tis "why" I tis here, more or less -- to provide/shed sound insight/knowledge, and even much needed "edumacation to the so-called US-born HA'Mung kids".)

Advertisements