Advertisement

Author Topic: Hooking up a converter box to an old tube tv?  (Read 1118 times)

hmg_mom

Hooking up a converter box to an old tube tv?
« on: September 24, 2014, 09:27:51 PM »
how do i hook this up to a converter box w/o getting a new tv? I'm only using it for my workout dvds  :2funny:  TIA! please provide pics of products also - i'm more of a visual person  ;D

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Sifu

Re: Hooking up a converter box to an old tube tv?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 09:36:51 AM »
If it is a DVD you could just buy an older DVD player with audio/video (RCA) output only.  Probably cheaper than  most HDMI cables.

Petal_Rose

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 09:38:08 AM »
Does the coverter box come with a remote control? You will have to hook it up to your TV (on the back). Go to your TV menu and scan the channels. Sometimes it may required that you have a rabbit ears but other times, w/o it will work as well.

hmg_mom

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 12:28:15 PM »
I already have a dvd player that I know can be hooked up to this tv. But I'd also would like to set this up to watch reg. tv with the converter box.  This tv just doesn't have all the input/output for the converter box.

I know how to hook up the converter box because I have one on my flat screen, it's because this tv only has these 3 connecting options, I  feel like I need something to connect them both to - did that make sense? haha

Petal_Rose

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 12:47:54 PM »
As far as I can remember, the converter box only need one output from the TV and a hook up from your cable line.

hmg_mom

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 12:51:09 PM »
The one I have has the 3 input/output(yellow, red, green??) and if I were to hook up both the converter & dvd player, there's a lot going on behind the tv. I don't want to be messing with switching between the two. I'd like to have them both hooked up and working hahaha

Sifu

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 01:41:32 PM »
That's because the newer digital signals can be sent through a single cable whereas the analog splits up the wires for audio/video.

If you have a converter box with both A/V (red, yellow, blue or green for composite) and it has an antenna (ANT or REF out) plug then you should be ok.  Having those wires is a mess but that's what HDMI is trying to eliminate as well.
From Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Modulator-Switch-Audio-Output-Converter/dp/B00J41Y4YY/ref=sr_1_12?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1411670208&sr=1-12
The second image has the antenna out.  Your cable should go in and out to the cable plug to your tv.

Best Buy probably has something similar but this will give you an idea.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 01:45:54 PM by Sifu »

hmg_mom

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 01:52:49 PM »
 O0 Thanks Sifu - i'll give it a try.

Advertisements