Advertisement

Author Topic: Finishing college  (Read 4177 times)

Warlord04

Finishing college
« on: September 27, 2014, 12:29:42 AM »
Why are Hmong females more motivated to finish college than Hmong males? No wonder why they going off to marry people of other ethnic backgrounds.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Re: Finishing college
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 04:27:25 AM »
I think they no longer want to be just housewives. You know, no longer be bossed but bosses.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

minorcharacter

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 04:47:01 AM »
Is the gender gap that disproportiona te?  I see an equal amount of Hmong men and Hmong women finishing college or dropping out at the same rate.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 04:59:25 AM »
I think so too. THe idea of wanting to be more and proving people wrong that you are more than just a housewive.
That is one reason I was given.

Right.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Prude

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 10:53:37 PM »
The way to have a better life is to have an education.

Envy2

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 04:02:10 PM »
Why are Hmong females more motivated to finish college than Hmong males? No wonder why they going off to marry people of other ethnic backgrounds.

Unless you conduct a survey, the proportion of Hmong male to female college graduates are about the same. Now compare Hmong people with HS diploma to ones with college degrees and you will see a larger disproportion. At least 95% of the Hmong population that has gone to High School has a diploma. Of those with diploma about a little over half goes to college. Of those half only about 25% will finish with a bachelor degree. For those with a bachelor degree only about 20% will earn their Masters. For those with master only 5% will get their PHD.

So the math is: Out of 100  Hmong student, 95 will earn their HS diploma,  57 will pursue college but only 15 will graduate. Of those 15 graduates only about 3 will go on to obtain their masters. Of those 3 Masters graduates maybe 1 will pursue his PHD. *note: not factual statistics but my numbers are close enough.

Envy2

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 03:05:03 PM »
I think we should add a category "will apply to get their masters/grad school."

I fit in that criteria. I have my BA and don't have my masters. But that's not my fault (technically).  I wasn't accepted into grad school.  Yes, it's my fault my grades weren't top notch. But had I been accepted I would be working on getting it. So i'm re-applying for this year since I didn't make it in last year.

And PHD. I have no desire. the field I'm in, It goes BA -> Masters -> License or certificate for a special area.
or you go up to PHD which really isn't any useful for infield stuff.  The general idea is that, you either want to be in the field and thus you aim for the license, or you teach which you would want a PHD.

But your numbers are close enough. It's just, there's alot of blindspots with the survey itself.

In regards to your situation you have to consider if the Master will pay off. It might not now but maybe 10 yrs down the road it will if you were to get into a management position. Even if you have poor grades with your BA if you do well on the GRE test you can still get in. However some graduate school are just harder to get in if they are selective of their students. The reason most MA/MS graduates don't go on to the PHD program is because they don't see the benefit of further education. Sometimes being over qualify will hurt your job search since most employers basically wants a highly qualify person and pay him crap wage. Or they won't hire you because they know you will leave for a higher wage later on. I've pretty much given up on moving up the salary ladder with the measly 5% raise. Small business is key to wealth and job fulfillment so I'm just going to keep throwing them darts until I hit the bullseye. Sales 101.     

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 10:11:04 AM »
Sadly I've already experienced being overqualified. . Several jobs are willing to pay someone less to do similar work I do..

Oh definitely. the Masters will pay off.. I got decent grades, Overall GPA is 2.98 (yea,, dissapointed I didn't hit a 3.0) and major GPA is 3.1
my GRE scores are barely below the 50% margin. neither of which I'm proud of. But eh.. I can always redo the GRE :)

For my major. I was specifically told by the professors that a PHD is not really worth it or relevant for what I want to do which is be in the field.
They suggested getting my MSW (master's of social work), then work several years and get a special license for what specific area I want to work in. vs a PHD which is often for research perspectives.
I prefer to be working with the client and the population. I like engaging with clients.

If you do MSW there is no specific license just one.  It just getting all the supervision hours to take your LCSW which is about 2 year.  The LCSW is only good if you plan to practice on the side or go up the ladder as a program manager or sometime director in non profit agency.  Most people with that license hold a 8-5 job.  To make it a full time career it's hard because majority of the people seeking that service are already going to mental health, non profit agency that have the service they need.  Same with one who has a MA in Family and Counseling.... Their MFT license..... If you compare LCSW and MFT.... LCSW open more doors.....

Reading all your post here.  I think you should just do your MSW coming from your BA in Psychology or related degree.  Keep trying or reapplying and show them you're serious and maybe you'll get in.  Look at my husband he apply to Ed.D in 2011 but didn't get in.  Reapply in 2013 and got in but after thinking over everything he decide not to pursued it because it cost about 5-6k a semester, has no experience in the education field, the job market for. Ed.D is not highly needed unless you want to become a Professor.  His route in the program is focus on K-12.  Starting pay won't be as much as he's making and if no job then loans will be a headaches.  My husband did apply for Ph.D when our oldest daughter was the only child back in 2003-2004.  He got accepted to a few in CA and out of state but decide he was not ready for it.  Now I tell my husband I don't want to hear about school anymore.  Given all the opportunity but didn't go.....Told him he only got 10 yrs left and can retired from his employer but won't reach his age for retirement with ss. 

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 05:09:29 PM »
Thanks summer. I won't give up. :)
I'll keep trying and trying. It's the what do i do while I'm in the middle of waiting, that's the biggest worry.
If i find a job I like, then I get accepted. I'm stuck in the middle ground because I see no possible way going to school full time, required internship, and keeping the job if I really enjoy it. Or keep the job and miss out on something I worked really hard for. But we'll see when that time comes.

Money isn't a big deal. Loans, yea i can take it. If it means MSW, then i'll do what it takes.

A former colleague just recently finished getting his PPSC so he'll be moving out of his current agency.  So I'll ask him about it once he starts working in schools.

I have a BA in social work. but thanks for the encouraging words.. I'll definitely keep pushing forward.

With a MSW there is job everywhere but the pay may sound...... at least you won't be stuck with those without degree, experience, etc. fighting for the same position as you with your BA.  If you get into school just asked your employer if they are willing to help or even waived a little.  For my husband Ph.D they were willing to waived but that mean commuting to school out of town, working full time, etc.  It wasn't easy for him because it was a 5 year program.  The Ed.D is a 3 year program but classes meet only Friday evening and then Sat. all day and only 20 min. away from home.  I don't think my husband will be able to study and do well because we still got 4 young kids unless it mean time away from home at the school library or turn one of our extra bedroom into a study room.  Being out of school for almost 20 since graduate school my husband is tired of writing papers and all of that too.  If you're single just do it part time.  My brother did his undergraduate at UCLA but he did his MSW program online from USC.  He told me it wasn't working out with his scheduled so he drop it this semester.  Even though my brother is a supervisor he work at home most of the time and only go in to the office for meeting or when there is crisis.

My husband student loans was all waived with his employer after 2 year.  The only loan he paid was 3k that was borrow directly from the school.  He was paying $200, $300, $400 different amount each month until he was done with it. 

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 05:11:32 PM by SummerBerry »

Darksyde

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 10:06:24 AM »
The worth of pursuing a masters falls on what your job is and where it is you see yourself within that job.  Then its whether that document will assist you in achieving that goal.  When moving up in positions at a corporate level, sometimes the resumes can look almost mirror to each other and it makes it hard on who to choose to promote to that next level.  At those times, having a Master's Degree in your packet can land you a win.

treasure

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 09:05:11 PM »
Unless you conduct a survey, the proportion of Hmong male to female college graduates are about the same. Now compare Hmong people with HS diploma to ones with college degrees and you will see a larger disproportion. At least 95% of the Hmong population that has gone to High School has a diploma. Of those with diploma about a little over half goes to college. Of those half only about 25% will finish with a bachelor degree. For those with a bachelor degree only about 20% will earn their Masters. For those with master only 5% will get their PHD.

So the math is: Out of 100  Hmong student, 95 will earn their HS diploma,  57 will pursue college but only 15 will graduate. Of those 15 graduates only about 3 will go on to obtain their masters. Of those 3 Masters graduates maybe 1 will pursue his PHD. *note: not factual statistics but my numbers are close enough.

Wow..nice to know where I fit kinda fit in.  :)

Advertisements