Advertisement

Author Topic: College is about YOU  (Read 4038 times)

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
  • Respect: +894
    • View Profile
Re: College is about YOU
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 10:05:51 AM »
Yea I guess you can say that about life in general.

But for most of us, College is our first step into the "real world."
After 18 years of living under a roof, and other people holding our hands along the way.

Here we are. In college/The real world. Nobody knows who we are, Nobody knows our story. Nobody knows our origin.
You can be whoever you want. You don't have to be tied down to simple ethnicities anymore. You can be whoever you want to be.

No one is going to know. No one is going to find out. You can turn a small idea like a lie into a truth. You can become that person you always wanted to be.
The lie can become real and you can finally be someone else. :) No one can stop you because they don't know you.

So yea. this does apply to non-college folks too. It's the "real world" you can just be yourself now. The real world where the real you is to be discovered. :D

Actually, that's not always the case if you go off to college with high school friends or acquaintances. .......or go to college locally, people may/will still know you or who you are, so you can't really be who you "want" to be (unless you really are like who you want to be).......your true self will eventually appear/reappear again.  ;D 

Like this post: 0
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

Adverstisement

Offline minorcharacter

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +594
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 11:34:12 AM »
Trouble, you can be whatever you want, but I want you to be you.  Unless you're her, then in that case nobody cares about her.

Offline Blue.Moon

• Elite Poster
  • I am not a complete idiot; some parts are missing.
  • Respect: +508
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 11:13:17 AM »
Unfortunately, I struggled with my identity a lot in college.  There were a lot of conflicts with what I want to do and with how I feel about it.  So glad those years were done with. 

If you judge people, you have no time to love them.  -Mother Teresa

Petal_Rose

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 02:14:59 PM »
OK :D

Anonymous, my challenge is very simple. I'm sure you can achieve it or maybe already have. For this NY, I want you to attend a hmong NY and go talk to a hmong girl. I hope you're not married.  ;D  Please take pix and share it with me.  O0 The purpose of this challenge is because I want to see you share.

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +243
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 03:47:53 PM »
Anonymous, my challenge is very simple. I'm sure you can achieve it or maybe already have. For this NY, I want you to attend a hmong NY and go talk to a hmong girl. I hope you're not married.  ;D  Please take pix and share it with me.  O0 The purpose of this challenge is because I want to see you share.

Oo that's really surprising lol. wasn't expecting that one.
Unfortunately that challenge will have to be put on hold.

It's not that I don't want to do it. It's that, it's just not the right timing for me.

My reasoning is this:
I graduated with my BA in May. I still need to find a job, that way I can pay for a car myself (i mostly used my brother's car throughout college).
So once i get a job (doesn't have to be permanent, just something to help get me by) and a car, I'll take on your challenge. :)

Try to change the things you cannot accept.

Petal_Rose

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 03:49:34 PM »
Oo that's really surprising lol. wasn't expecting that one.
Unfortunately that challenge will have to be put on hold.

It's not that I don't want to do it. It's that, it's just not the right timing for me.

My reasoning is this:
I graduated with my BA in May. I still need to find a job, that way I can pay for a car myself (i mostly used my brother's car throughout college).
So once i get a job (doesn't have to be permanent, just something to help get me by) and a car, I'll take on your challenge. :)

Whew! Glad that you are not married. Yes, it's a very easy one but can be challenging too if you are shy. LOL Okay, i will wait for you.

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +243
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 04:51:22 PM »
Whew! Glad that you are not married. Yes, it's a very easy one but can be challenging too if you are shy. LOL Okay, i will wait for you.

Haha. I wouldn't mind being married. the thought doesn't scare me at all. But its like I've told my parents. I don't have a job, I don't have a car, I don't have a house.
I can barely support myself, I don't want to get into a relationship where I need to support someone else also. Sure having an SO can lead to us supporting eachother, but if I can't support myself,
there's no way I can support someone else, and on the other side, I don't want someone to be forced to support both of us. a relationship, a marriage, is about compromise, it's about working together, about unity and balance. I don't want her to be extending all over the place if I can't do the same. :)

It's not a hard one. Just I don't know. lol. the NY here, the women tend to get younger as I get older. haha.
And my taste in women seems to have drastically changed along with my perception of myself. So we'll see how things go.

:D I'll let you know when I accomplish your challenge.

Try to change the things you cannot accept.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 11:11:29 AM »
I think you over think everything.  People try to relate to you but you think that's too much.  It's going to be difficult for you to get along with people if you can't even deal with these things. 

Offline Darksyde

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +181
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 10:49:17 AM »
"How come you don't hang out with Hmong people?"
Truth be told. I was on campus alot. I was seen with alot of people. However, I was never seen with a group of Hmong people nor was I ever with the Hmong club.
I did try to join the Hmong club but I never felt right. It just didn't click. I was more comfortable with a mixed race of people in a cramped elevator than I was in an open space of Hmong people (something that actually happened).

This was true for me as well. When I was going to college, there were still not that many Hmongs attending college. It was just a select few of us. One thing was strongly apparent though. They were all from a family of a higher income/status so college was very affordable for them. I was the only one from "that part of town." And because young Hmong people tend to be very clicky and very trendy, I was ostrasized almost immediately. I tried hanging around but I always seemed to be the odd one out of their club. I stopped attending their meetings and doing other things with other clubs and organizations around campus. I was welcomed and treated with more respect at these other organizations so it was more appealing for me to do things outside of the Hmong club. In the end, things worked out better for me this way. I built more networks than them and am doing great things for myself now-a-days.

But I also agree with you as well. College is about you. Anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves. There may be those few who are doing it only to make their parents happy but those few don't usually make it very far through college. People(YOU) go to college to benefit themselves(YOURSELF) with knowledge and experience. And some do it to benefit their sports careers. If that's not about you, I don't know what is.

Offline AOZ

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +312
    • View Profile
    • AOZ
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2015, 03:51:10 PM »
like i tell my daughter all the time... yes college is all about you.... yet....don't forget about networking.... making connections with everyone.... and i mean... being friends with everyone who cross paths with you.... doesn't matter how smart/dumb they are... doesn't matter how sucky or great their major is.....it's best to never burn bridges even before you build them. 

at her college...ther e is no hmong club... she really wants to join... but can't... there are hmong girls in her class... but they hardly ever talk because other hmong girls rush out of class.... the oppurtunity isn't there....

don't pass any oppurtunity you are given.... respect everyone. 

AOZ AOZ AOZ

Advertisements