Advertisement

Author Topic: 12-Year-Old's Suicide Sparks Social-Media Outrage  (Read 1055 times)

proudlao

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline shay

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
Re: 12-Year-Old's Suicide Sparks Social-Media Outrage
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 06:08:41 AM »
Tragic story, may he rest in peace. I agree with talking to your children and would like to add that parents need to be better role models for their children. I see a lot of bullying in cyberspace among adults...to believe their actions/behaviors aren't being transferred into their own personal lives, being observed, and modeled by their children is absurd and ignorant.

Offline minorcharacter

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +594
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 08:51:28 AM »
Tragic story, may he rest in peace. I agree with talking to your children and would like to add that parents need to be better role models for their children. I see a lot of bullying in cyberspace among adults...to believe their actions/behaviors aren't being transferred into their own personal lives, being observed, and modeled by their children is absurd and ignorant.
All the time on here.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +434
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 04:07:56 PM »
The poor boy's parents have some accountability in his suicide. While encouraging their son to be who he is - even though it fell outside societal norms - they should've prepared him for criticism as well. It's naive, irresponsible, and downright bad parenting/advise to promote someone to do something (especially knowing it's going to draw a lot of ridicule) and then blame others.

It doesn't sound like Shimizu's parents did anything that might've suggested their son downplay some of his activities, which seems to fuel his bullies. It's the naiveté of liberals to think that they should be able to do anything without some negative feedback.

It's like that mom who posted on her FB page a pic of her son dressed up as a pink princess. "Fine, you're proud of your kid. You should support him. He should't have to hide who he is. But who are you to exploit him as a poster child for your own agenda because you have something to prove against those who might find it absurd?"

Can't stand parents who do this to their child and they wonder why their child is bullied and suicidal?

Advertisements