Advertisement

Author Topic: Recommendations for piggy back system?  (Read 1973 times)

hua

Recommendations for piggy back system?
« on: January 11, 2015, 03:27:29 AM »
Any recommendation s for piggy back system?

My car needs a tune. Shooting for 350-400 whp. Current set up at 16psi is pushing 321hp and 330 ft/tq untuned. Running pig rich at the moment with the a/f off the scale at 10:1 in boost.

I was thinking mapecu3 since it will also get rid of the stock air meter and change it over to map base. Any other recommendation s?

89 Supra Turbo btw.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations for piggy back system?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 09:59:35 AM »
Can't go wrong with aem ems

I got one but, I haven't used it yet, I tried messing with it and was trying street tunin but it kept dying when I stopped
Probably better for me to take to a shop

It's the only thing g I'd recommend or any other staND alone even though they are pretty expensive

I read to many negatives on piggyback   systems   

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Sifu

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 11:32:25 AM »
If you can't find a PB/EMS then find a reputable shop and ask them what they use or are comfortable with (experience).  You could always get the best for your machine but if the tuner or yourself do not understand how to tune it then you're back at square one.

hua

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 09:55:29 PM »
I'll check with a couple local shops here that can tune it and see what they are most experience with. No point in getting something that no one around here knows how to use/tune with.

Hitokiri

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 10:51:33 PM »
I'll check with a couple local shops here that can tune it and see what they are most experience with. No point in getting something that no one around here knows how to use/tune with.

Sounds like a good plan. With all the technology these days you'll never know what you'll find.

This is a general question for import tuners but are piggy back systems still popular in modern import cars or do do most use flashers now? Just wondering. I'm not talking about cars like this Supra but cars made from the year 2000 and sooner.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 05:41:32 AM »
Flashers

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Sifu

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 08:04:44 AM »
I see more flashing options than piggyback or standalone.  But if you want to play big its going to cost a bit more to get there.

Hitokiri

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 06:40:15 PM »
Flashers

What flashers systems are popular with import tuners? I'm asking these things out of curiosity not to be a punk. It's probably because many of my friends are still tuning old b-series motors but most people seem to still favor piggy back systems over flashers. That's why I ask these questions. Do they make flashers for the b-series engines? If so, which ones?

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 07:41:31 PM »
I don't think they make flasher's for the B series, you're still stuck with s300, Old school Hondatata, or aem ems, but there's a few programs out there used to tune.

FlashPro and Kpro is what I hear.

W kpro the civic.

All that work on it to get traded in.

Oh wells!

If I have the newer motor's/cars, I'd just flash them and forget the piggyback systems. 

Hitokiri

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 10:23:41 PM »
I don't think they make flasher's for the B series, you're still stuck with s300, Old school Hondatata, or aem ems, but there's a few programs out there used to tune.

FlashPro and Kpro is what I hear.

W kpro the civic.

Thanks

If I have the newer motor's/cars, I'd just flash them and forget the piggyback systems.

Agreed. My friend who owns a dyno tuning shop by Wausau said piggy back systems basically trick the stock ECU to do it's bidding. It's really no different then have a parasite attach to you body and then use your body to reach its goals. A piggyback system well either kill, block, or send false signals or messages to the ECU so that the ECU well react the way the piggyback system wants. This can be dangerous since it's basically asking the stock ECU to do something in a way that is not natural or how the technology is meant to be used.

A flasher on the other hand change the stock ECU by changing the margins of the stock tune by using the ECU the way it was meant to be used. Yes, the tune itself was not meant to do what a tuned flash wants to but at least the ECU isn't be tricked like it would be with a piggyback system.

I believe piggyback systems really have no use in today's tuning world and often times even if a piggyback system is used it won't work. Today's ECU's are so smart that the piggyback system can be resisted over time until the car turns to stock again. This cannot happen with a flash tune.

Advertisements