Advertisement

Author Topic: Moonangel's Book Reviews 2015  (Read 21935 times)

zena

Moonangel's Book Reviews 2015
« on: January 19, 2015, 08:51:42 PM »
Finished, A Clash of Kings, by George R.R. Martin last night.  It was great!  I love how the author kills off good and evil people.  Love his writing style.  This is my first book I finished this year!  It took me just over 2 weeks!  LOL!!  Normally, I could finish a book this big in at least 3 days so you can see how busy I've been.  I am dying to read the 3rd book.  I want to so bad but I've got so much on my plate that I really shouldn't.

I've started reading, The Martian, by Andy Weir.  Not sure what to think of it yet.  It's only 5 hours so I'm hoping to finish it by tomorrow and then, I'll need to take a short break and get other things done before getting into, A Storm of Swords.

Was telling my husband that I'm so addicted to reading that I need to go to BA: books anonymous...li ke, AA: alcoholics anonymous. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

zena

Re: Moonangel's Book Reviews 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 07:22:33 PM »
Finished The Martian yesterday.  It was okay.  Author says they are going to make it into a movie.  I hope the movie will be much better than the book.

zena

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 10:42:28 AM »
Finished, Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro last night.  It was good.  Started out slow but turned out interesting halfway.  What I don't understand about the characters is why they didn't break free.  Run away.  Fight for their "freedom." They were not completely brainwashed (like in Brave New World), in fact, they weren't really brainwashed.  They were treated well as Ms. Emily told them so why they didn't break out of the "mold" is surprising.  The ending was pretty sad and reaffirms that it doesn't matter if you were born from a tube or a womb (e.g., Ender's Game - genetically made but inserted in womb to birth) or were genetically mutated in some way (e.g., Divergent trilogy), you will never lose those qualities that make you human.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 10:46:27 AM by moonangel »

zena

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 09:50:12 PM »
Finished, A Storm of Swords, the 3rd book in the Game of Thrones series.  Totally amazing pretty much sums it up for me.  Dany is one fierce dragon girl and I think I'm in love with Jon Snow.  Loved how the wildling girl says, "You know nothing, Jon Snow."

I'll be starting the 4th book after I finish, Messenger, by Lois Lowry, the 3rd book in The Giver Quartet.

zena

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 12:00:35 PM »
Finished, Messenger.  It was okay.  Would have liked it to be a little longer with more information.  Learned that the guy named Leader is Jonas from the first book.  The author doesn't tell you his real name.  She just gives clues such as his blue eyes and how he can see beyond.  I like the power Matty has.  In the book I'm slowly writing, one of the characters has the healing power.  I'm still debating on how strong/weak or if she should have some other power that's much stronger and the healing would be just a part of it but now I realize I'm going to make the healing her strength, thanks to Messenger.  Now need to dl the 4th book and finish the quartet!  Oh wait...I think there is a 5th book added?  I'll have to look into it.

Currently reading the 4th book from Game of Thrones, A Feast for Crows.  It's starting out a bit different from the first 3 books but still love it.

Btw, husband got me Jon Snow from Game of Thrones.  He knows what I think of Jon Snow.  ;)

Like this post: +1

zena

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 04:56:54 PM »
I think once I finish all the books, I'm going to start watching the HBO Game of Thrones series.  I'm really excited.

I was on Instagram and found this:

There is a t-shirt with that phrase. I want it.  :D

zena

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 02:20:25 PM »
When I first read the 3rd book in the Game of Thrones series, I didn't think I'd ever finish it.  Didn't know where I'd find over 42 hours to read it.  But I finished it and as mentioned have started on the 4th book.  The 4th book is only just some 30 hours.

I'd say, the 3rd book is my favorite so far.  Especially because of the dragon girl, Daenerys Targaryen, aka, Dany.  The author did an amazing job with her story.  I was in tears after I finished one of her chapters. I know. CRAZY.  She's smart and brave.  And she's only 16.  Who knows though, George Martin likes to kill off everyone and he also creates characters that you can't really like 100% because he shows their good and evils sides.  For instance, I started out hating Jaime, but then in the 3rd book, his gentle side was revealed (just a smidgen of it) and it was enough for me to see that he could be a good person.  I'm sure he will kill someone for no good reason and then I'll hate him.  LOL! 

zena

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 12:33:08 PM »
Finished the 4th book in the Game of Thrones series: A Feast for Crows.  A lot of people didn't like it but I did.  Now onto the 5th book in the series but will have to wait since it is on hold and I'm like 3rd on the wait-list of 6 books.  Husband is also reading the series.  He loves it too but he doesn't have as much time as I do so he's still on book 1.  Just realized that I'm not alone in liking Daenerys Targaryen, Tyrion Lannister, and Jon Snow.  They are the main characters in book 3 (which was my favorite as mentioned previously).  In book 4, the main characters are Jaime, Cersie, Samwell, Sansa, and Brienne.  I missed the main characters in book 3 but it was still well written with Cersie being one serious pain-in-the-butt queen.  I still like Jaime in this one and I'm always finding myself so worried for Brienne.

zena

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 02:54:58 PM »
I've started book 5 of the Game of Thrones series, A Dance With Dragons.  We are back to Dany, Tyrion, and Jon.  I just finished a chapter on Dany and I just love her more everytime I read about her.  Here's a clip.

Btw, my husband and I took a test on FB to see which character we were similar too.  I got Tyrion.  Husband got Dany (Daenerys).  I asked husband if he were to choose which character I best resembled, he said, it would be Tyrion.  I said for him, I thought he'd be Jaime or even Jon Snow, but not Dany. LOL!

zena

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 08:22:44 PM »
Finished reading A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett to my girls.  This was the second time I read it to them and the 3rd time I've read the book.  I choke back tears each time and my girls cry secretly.

zena

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 01:02:12 PM »
Finished A Dance with Dragons, the 5th installment of the Game of Thrones series.  I can't wait for the 6th book.  It should be released in a year? Two maybe?  Seriously can't wait.  I have a feeling I'll have to buy it 'cause the libraries don't get the books until much later.

I want to see the TV show now...but husband is just barely finishing the first book...LOL!  Not sure if I can wait for him to finish all 5 books.

As for what's going on in the 5th book...I was a bit disappointed with Daenerys.  I had so much hope for her in this book.  I hope that she comes around in the next books.  Tyrion continues to be so funny and smart. It's unfortunate how he ended up in Meereen.  He had hopes of meeting Daenerys and I was curious as to how it would turn out once they met but he ended being on the wrong end of the hierarchy of things.  I'm glad that Ser Jorah Mormont was back in this book.  I like him.  He was previously Daenerys' knight but because of his lies, she let him go.  He's in love with her.  Jon Snow is a bit different in this book.  He is always so serious though so that hasn't changed.  It ends with him getting stabbed but I hope he doesn't die.  At first I thought he and Daenerys would be perfect as a couple but after the copulation between her and Daario, I'm not so sure Jon Snow is that kind of man.  I missed Gendry in this book.  Apparently, he's the bastard son of King Robert.  I liked him but there's not very much of him in any of the books.  Theon Greyjoy's story is super crazy.  Man, Ramsey is one mean prince/lord.  I'm interested in how all this will turn out now with the Greyjoys.

I don't think I'm alone in saying this but there is just too much s*x in this series.  Sometimes I enjoy it but sometimes it's overdone.  It's totally a guys perspective so it's not the romance book type of s*x.  I enjoy some copulation in fantasy and sci-fi stories but when it gets to be too much, it kind of ruins everything.  BUT, on the other hand, I understand it because in the world Mr. Martin created, I can totally see that s*x is used in differently ways, especially to degrade women and for power/control purposes, as Queen Cersie has done, and some of the lords.  Mr. Martin also talks a lot about hands and pus...ew.  I try to read past those parts as quickly as possible.

prima_donna

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 04:52:48 AM »
I took that facebook quiz too. I got Ned Stark. Lol.

Im so excited for you moonangel. omg. Im surprise you havent seen the T.V. series yet. Im begining to like Daeneary's and Jon Snow. I feel a bit sorry for Jamie Lannister in book 3. Liking tyrion is a bit tricky because you'll never know if he becomes a backstabber. An interesting person I also like is Lord Beric. I'm waiting to see if Lord Beric's pov comes up later in the books.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:57:21 AM by prima_donna »

zena

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 07:30:48 PM »
I took that facebook quiz too. I got Ned Stark. Lol.

Im so excited for you moonangel. omg. Im surprise you havent seen the T.V. series yet. Im begining to like Daeneary's and Jon Snow. I feel a bit sorry for Jamie Lannister in book 3. Liking tyrion is a bit tricky because you'll never know if he becomes a backstabber. An interesting person I also like is Lord Beric. I'm waiting to see if Lord Beric's pov comes up later in the books.

LOL...that's cool you got Ned.  My husband said that in real life, I am like Tyrion (Tyrion's dad does not accept him as his son and I've had parts of my life mirror that) so it only makes since that I got him and also that could be why I feel for him so much.  I want good things for him because even though he is a Lannister, he's got a good and kind heart.  I liked Tyrion from the get-go just by the way he handled himself with Jon Snow, Bran, Catelyn, and Lyssa.  I also like how he's gentle and understanding of Sansa before and after they were wed.  For the life of me, I can't remember anything about Lord Beric.  What is his house name?

As for the TV series,  I wanted to read all the books before watching the show, but honestly, I just enjoy really good books and George Martin is amazing with his Game of Thrones series.  His writing is poetic and funny and he throws in crazy characters/personalities and settings that I'm just wowed by.  When he describes the settings, I feel like I'm there, but not only that, I feel it like an emotion.  When he describes the characters, I feel as though I either like them, hate them, or am indifferent because he doesn't give them enough depth and I think he does it purposely.  I enjoy this whole world he's created. He doesn't spend endless amounts of time in one setting or one character (you can tell I've had my share of not-so-well-written books, but not bad either).  I can go on and on about his writing.  It's just so perfect and I want more! ;D

zena

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 04:59:57 PM »
Books that I tried to read but they are just not well written:

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie.  I'm having a hard time figuring out the characters.  There's an issue with who's a he or she.  Sometimes, it's "He this and that" and other times, the same he is a she.  Author needs to pick a s*x to label them.  If they are dual s*x, then create a new name to label them as such.  The storyline is clueless.  There is no real strong theme other than they are set out in space.

Dying of Light by George R.R. Martin.  I really enjoyed Game of Thrones so thought I'd give his sci-fi a try.  It's just not the same, however, I realize the story was written/first published in 1977 so maybe I'm just not into it because I'm big on character buildup and this book just seemed all over the place with it.  I'm sure if I give it time, it'll come out.  I may or may not finish and I'm leaning toward may not but I may try another of his books.

Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer.  So wanted to read this book but it's in PDF format and right now I'm not willing to read on my computer.  Did that a lot last year but this year, I'm only reading just before bed or when I'm out somewhere bored.

On a brighter note, I just downloaded Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery.  I plan on reading this to my girls at bedtime.  I loved the TV show but never read the book.  Hopefully it's as good as the TV Show.  I can't remember when a TV show was actually better than the book so I'm positive this will be good.  I have the DVD set for Anne of Green Gables so after I finish reading the book, we'll be watching the DVD.

Also, I'm finishing up on The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon.  I read halfway, took a hiatus from it, and am now back at it.  A couple of weeks ago, I dropped by Barns N Noble to get the soft cover of the 2nd book which just came out, The Mime Order, and learned that new releases only come out in hard cover. It takes about 6 months to a year for the softcover to be released.  I'm not going to wait that long to read it and I don't want the hardcover so I'm going to just download it on my Kindle.  I'm really excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zena

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 02:43:38 PM »
I started reading Anne of Green Gables to my girls at bedtime.  Yesterday, I decided to read a couple of chapters ahead while the girls were at dance lessons just so I know what happens before I read it to them that night and it was so heartbreaking that I cried my eyes red.  I don't know if I can read this book to them if I'm going to be so heartbroken over everything.  Last night, when I did read to them, I was choking back tears and taking deep breaks trying not to cry.  Maybe I need husband to read it to them instead.  My 8 year old told me she likes Anne already.

Advertisements