Advertisement

Author Topic: What do you guys think about the new cars and their "fake" engine noise?  (Read 2260 times)

supadupac

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/americas-best-selling-cars-and-trucks-are-built-on-lies-the-rise-of-fake-engine-noise/2015/01/21/6db09a10-a0ba-11e4-b146-577832eafcb4_story.html

I am not sure what other companies call it, i know Ford calls it something and VW's call it Soundaktor.  I know some people may not think it's cool or not even like it but I think it was a genius idea. For the average consumer they're gonna like it, they're gonna like the amplified engine noise. A lot of VW enthusiast have unplugged their soundakator and found that it didn't sound good anymore and the engine and everything else was quieter and smoother. Depending on you if you like the noise or not, you'll like it. Overall if you have the soundaktor along with your mechanical engine parts making great noise why not get double the sound?

Anyways, i like it actually.. i thought about unplugging mine and people said it's quiet, even if it's fake it feels and sounds good and accurate. What do you think?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: What do you guys think about the new cars and their "fake" engine noise?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 09:09:02 PM »
But how will it sound on the outside?

I hope honda doesn't do it.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Hitokiri

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 11:51:06 PM »
Anyways, i like it actually.. i thought about unplugging mine and people said it's quiet, even if it's fake it feels and sounds good and accurate. What do you think?

Ford calls it a "symposer". I know that many Ford Focus ST, Fiesta ST, and other Ecoboosted engines have this.

Many people do take it off or block it somehow but for some reason they never installed them on the Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost that shares the same engine as the Ford Focus ST. My engine is loud enough the way it is though. It hisses and breaths like it can't get enough air through it's pipes. Haha....

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:07:34 AM by Hitokiri »

Sifu

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 08:35:17 AM »
Anything not relevant in an automobile should not belong in an automobile.  Imagine having to repair this lame part if it threw an engine code or light.

E92M3

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 11:40:30 AM »
Anything not relevant in an automobile should not belong in an automobile.  Imagine having to repair this lame part if it threw an engine code or light.
+1  To me it's silly they would do this. 

Hitokiri

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 02:09:27 PM »

Well, it's not needed anyways. Most people either block it off, take it off, or even use it a point to put blow off valves and such on.

I do agree though - very dumb stuff.

michaelvang85

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 04:47:47 AM »
My FRS has a 'sound generator tube' that comes off the intake inlet pipe and pumps the noise into the passenger footwell. I ended up plugging up the hole in the cabin because it added needless noises into an already loud ride due to lack of sound deadening.

Sifu

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 09:21:12 AM »
I like the FRS but that is a stupid thing to add.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 02:25:30 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9_bhlzJpKI

wow... quite sad really, but you can really hear the difference.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Hitokiri

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 06:34:24 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9_bhlzJpKI

wow... quite sad really, but you can really hear the difference.

Yeah that is sad that Ford wants their Mustangs to sound like a four banger.  :-[

Advertisements