Advertisement

Author Topic: The Craziest Little Car Ever From Production: Ford Fiesta RS  (Read 4077 times)

Hitokiri

The Craziest Little Car Ever From Production: Ford Fiesta RS
« on: February 01, 2015, 08:47:42 PM »
I started a thread talking about sport compact cars coming out with turbocharged motors making 300-350 HP from the factory. Cars like the Dodge Dart SRT4, Ford Focus RS, and the Honda Civic Type R are three examples. Now imagine cars like the Honda Fit, Chevy Aveo, and the Focus Fiesta having 250 HP from the factory with AWD - it might happen with the Ford Focus RS in 2017.

Imagine. 2700 lbs car, 1.6 liter turbocharged motor making 250, and AWD. CRazy! Crazy stuff. Could be the craziest little car ever made by an American car maker.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/fiesta/85091/sizzling-250bhp-ford-fiesta-rs-to-take-fight-to-polo-r

Like this post: +1

Adverstisement

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: The Craziest Little Car Ever From Production: Ford Fiesta RS
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 09:47:50 PM »
Yes I'd say it's quite crazy.

But I don think there's really a market for it. 

Like this post: 0
I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Sifu

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 10:37:13 PM »
A Ford Focus yes.  A Fiesta?  Holy hell that is a strange turn of events.

Hitokiri

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 12:09:45 PM »
But I don think there's really a market for it.

I think Ford is trying to get into a niche of the US automobile industry that has been dominated by one manufacturer for a long time and that's the high power sub compact category. For years the Mini Cooper S has dominated this category basically because there are no other serious challengers. This is where Mini makes their money in the USA and continues to do it today because no one in their class has made a car to compete against its turbocharge S model sub compacts. If the Fiesta can invade this segment with a strong, newer, and more attractive car maybe they can take some of the money away from Mini.

Much like how the Mazda MX-5 has dominated it's segment for so long I'm surprised no one has come in and seriously challenged the.

Hitokiri

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 12:10:17 PM »
Erase. Double Post.

Sifu

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 12:39:50 PM »
The problem is that they offer a hot hatch and also a hot entry level sub compact?  Just seems like its going to weaken their brand more.  You could offer more options but if I wanted a hot hatch I just get one.  You could argue that Mini has no real competitors but at the same time their claim of 18 different models has really bitten them.  People who want a Mini or Abarth want one.  Not a lot of people are going to say 'hey I want a Fiesta ST/RS.'

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 02:54:00 PM »
Yes, pretty much the problem is...

It's a fiesta.

They should've came out with a "new" car with that powerplant. 

I doubt "grown" successful men/woman would want to roll up in or rock a fiesta.

A mini cooper?  Yes...

In a way, it's sort of a status symbol.

Even though mini's are that much either.

I'm sure at the end of the day that fiesta fully loaded is going to cost a pretty penny... and dollor for dollar... folks will pick a mini over it.

If ford is trying to target the mini's demographic... that's the wrong demographic.

If anything, it'll attract the younger teenage/mid 20's tuner's.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Hitokiri

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 06:12:09 PM »
Not a lot of people are going to say 'hey I want a Fiesta ST/RS.'

I disagree. Try looking for a Fiesta ST on any sales lot. You can't find them. The reason that you can't isn't because they're rare (well they are but not THAT rare) but it's because they're popular mostly out west. The Fiesta is also outselling cars like the Honda Fit, Mini Cooper, and the Fiat by a BIG margin. Here's proof and this article just came out like 2-3 weeks ago.

http://www.examiner.com/slideshow/sales-charts-of-the-top-10-best-selling-cars-of-2014-by-class

The truth is, even though Mini is probably more popular it's also more expensive and less reliable. People have known that for a while. The same goes with the Fiat. Fiat was never known for it's quality and mostly since it's so expensive - why buy it? Fords are cheaper, have more power, have more fun, and the quality has been rising for a while.

Yes, pretty much the problem is...

It's a fiesta.

Not according the sales. As I said above the Fiesta is out selling both Fiat and Mini Cooper (which is not even on the list).

They should've came out with a "new" car with that powerplant. 

The Fiesta name is old but the car itself is not. I has a lot of the technology the Ford Focus ST has but in a smaller lighter body.

I doubt "grown" successful men/woman would want to roll up in or rock a fiesta.

A mini cooper?  Yes...

If anything, it'll attract the younger teenage/mid 20's tuner's.

Either way it's still outselling the Mini. In this report it states that Mini sold just over 28,303 cars last year. That's nearly 5000 less then Fiestas sold in the same time. 

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/mini-cooper-sales-figures.html

With the Ford Fiesta now having a naturally aspirated engine and soon to be 3 turbocharged engines (1.0. 1.6 ST, and 1.6 RS) they're going to be hard to beat.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 06:35:37 PM »
Sure it might be outselling it..

But once you hike up the price tag...  I doubt the Fiesta RS will sell more...

Plus... are they showing the demographic of who's buying?

I think if they compare the demographic's...the people who are buying the fiesta's are not going to be the people who will be buying a fiesta rs.   and the mini cooper buyer's aren't going to be people who are going to buy fiesta's.

Sifu

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 06:38:58 PM »
Well, car trends shift so maybe the Millennial's are looking for affordable, fun and little city cars which would fit the bill.  Regardless If there was ANY sub compact AWD car it would definitely be on my list of cars to purchase and I really do not like many newer cars. 

I've always liked Ford and for the most part they have generally been much better in terms of customer satisfaction, reliability, affordability and sporty variety over their other competitors.  It's just funny because it's taken over a decade for them to bring over the Focus RS.

Hitokiri

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 09:14:01 PM »
But once you hike up the price tag...  I doubt the Fiesta RS will sell more...

I wouldn't be too sure of that. If you go to Cars.com the Ford Fiesta ST will probably cost you $26,000 at the most and that's with all the gadgets and fun things. If you don't want none of those you can buy one for as low as $21,000 - NEW. Look at the Mini Cooper S you can see them priced as high as $40,000 with all the options and it was until about page 12 that I found some that were the price range of the most expensive Fiestas.

If people are willing to dish out 30-40 Gs on a underpowered Mini Cooper I can see people dishing out $30,000 for the Ford Fiesta ST. I mean...they're already doing it in Europe for small hot sub compacts so why not here?

Plus... are they showing the demographic of who's buying?

I don't know why you're so much into demographics. The thing is that the Fiesta is selling and selling well. In my life I have yet to see a Ford Fiesta ST on the selling lot. I asked a local dealer why and he said they sell as quickly as they get them. I'm sure the RS well be the same or at least I hope.

I think if they compare the demographic's...the people who are buying the fiesta's are not going to be the people who will be buying a fiesta rs.   and the mini cooper buyer's aren't going to be people who are going to buy fiesta's.

And that's fine but the sale of Mini's have been going down while other sub compacts have been going up. Something is happening there but what I guess you have to decide that by yourself.

Hitokiri

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 09:16:35 PM »
Well, car trends shift so maybe the Millennial's are looking for affordable, fun and little city cars which would fit the bill.  Regardless If there was ANY sub compact AWD car it would definitely be on my list of cars to purchase and I really do not like many newer cars. 

And I think that's the people they're trying to get. Those who have small families or people who don't have kids, want something fun, good on MPG, but don't have to carry a lot of things.

Personally the Fiesta is too small for me even with the power. As Poster said the price is steep at 30K for the RS. I mean....why would I want a Fiesta RS when I could get a Ford Focus ST for a lower price for the same power with basically the same tricks just a bit bigger.

Envy2

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 04:32:47 PM »
If they can keep it under 25K starting then it would be a good deal. Otherwise it won't sell. I mean even the Fiesta ST is about 21K without options. 23K equipped and 25k+ after everything is paid for. I rather get a WRX with that money. At least its comfy and has a real trunk.

Scratch that and just go with what Hitokiri said.

MilesDaddy

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 07:35:57 AM »
I think Ford is trying to get into a niche of the US automobile industry that has been dominated by one manufacturer for a long time and that's the high power sub compact category. For years the Mini Cooper S has dominated this category basically because there are no other serious challengers. This is where Mini makes their money in the USA and continues to do it today because no one in their class has made a car to compete against its turbocharge S model sub compacts. If the Fiesta can invade this segment with a strong, newer, and more attractive car maybe they can take some of the money away from Mini.

Much like how the Mazda MX-5 has dominated it's segment for so long I'm surprised no one has come in and seriously challenged the.
I bought my mom  an 03 Cooper S. when I drive it around for a while I hate getting back into my gutless Accord.. One downside to the mini is that the maintenance is a little crazy. and pretty much everything except wiper blades are expensive, Want to do pretty much anything to the motor and you pretty much have to drop at least one motor mount to get to it. IF FORD can do this on a nice budget, you will have a huge following iMHO, The Focus ST is already pretty bad ass. I think the Fiesta is a pretty good contender too,,,,,for another example of a cool small car that isn't too expensive I the FIAT 500 Abarth

Hitokiri

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 04:50:48 PM »
I bought my mom  an 03 Cooper S. when I drive it around for a while I hate getting back into my gutless Accord.. One downside to the mini is that the maintenance is a little crazy. and pretty much everything except wiper blades are expensive,

That's what I heard. What people forget is the Mini is made by BMW and BMWs are expensive to fix. Plus to be honest BMW ripped off Mini owners by giving them an ancient motor, put it into the Mini, and made it believe it was new. The motors that are in the Mini have been there for years in the BMW and are pretty much hand me downs from BMW and are handed down for a reason.

IF FORD can do this on a nice budget, you will have a huge following iMHO, The Focus ST is already pretty bad ass. I think the Fiesta is a pretty good contender too,,,,,for another example of a cool small car that isn't too expensive I the FIAT 500 Abarth

I have to be honest when it comes to Ford too - the 1.6 liter in the Fiesta is also not the greatest engine. The 1.6 Zetec motor is an ancient motor and was never meant to be true hotrod motor. There have been many issues with the 1.6 Ecoboost motor, many who seem to be gone now, but if Ford is going to pump another 50 horsepower in order to make it an RS.....I don't know....

Even the Ford Focus RS has a new 2.3 liter. Now if they put that 2.0 Ecoboost engine from the Ford Focus ST in the Fiesta RS now that would make sense and it would be reliable at the same time.

Advertisements