Advertisement

Author Topic: Always thought it was overpriced so not surprised  (Read 1957 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Always thought it was overpriced so not surprised
« on: February 05, 2015, 09:57:22 PM »
New Lexus LFAs still unsold two years after production ended

Even today, four years after Toyota's Lexus division set out into the supercar world with the 552-hp, V-10-engined Lexus LFA, the car seems like a mirage. After a decade of planning and research, only 500 were built — meticulously, mostly by hand — with prices of $375,000 each. Able to be customized in 30 million ways, a special edition of the LFA lapped the Nürburgring in near-record time in 2011, and Lexus shut down production in 2012.

Two years later, Lexus still has unsold LFAs waiting as patiently as pastors in its U.S. showrooms. Last month it sold two; in 2014, it moved 17. Most new cars spend an average of just over two months on a dealer's lot; at this rate, the 2012 model year LFA might finally sell out in the United States right around Halloween. Why does such a fast car move so slowly out of Lexus showrooms?

Why really?  ???

Because it's overpriced! ;D

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Hitokiri

Re: Always thought it was overpriced so not surprised
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 11:30:46 PM »
I think Toyota overdid themselves on the LF-A. THe big mistake is that they made it into a Ferrari fighter with an outrageous price tag instead of calling it the new Supra. The looks of it was too ricey in my opinion and Lexus had no history behind the car. Yes....the engine was inspired by F1 but Toyota sucked in F1. If you want an F1 inspired car do it like Ferrari or like Honda did with the NSX. At least Honda won championships and had the best F1 driver in the world test and in many ways make the NSX. The LF-A had nothing like that. It was a failure before it went on the show floors.

FetishDream

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 08:09:58 AM »
Lets give people something to look at .  The 2012 model 

Envy2

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 01:43:46 PM »
The first car on my list to buy after I win the Lotto, NOT. At first I heard all 500 were sold. Then this story came out. Guess the sold out was a lied. I heard Lexus has a ridiculous clause which makes buying it sucks because you can’t turn around and resell it for profit. Let me see Option #1: LFA or Option #2 :  I could get a Z06, GTR, Porsche 911 GT3, and still have money left over to get a EVO, STI and a Miata. The maintenance option 2 would probably be cheaper too. The choice is obvious. Option #3 : save that money because only niggas with no money management goes broke.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 04:30:55 PM »
It's no Ferrari

When you look at a ferrari or lambo, they jut look different. 

I would even say BMWs as well. The higher end models

When I look at acura and lexus and Infiniti, for some reason they don't seem to even stack up, just look wise...

You know what ferrari a make?  And lambo makes?  They don't make minivans...  Trucks...etc, they make sports cars and sports cars only..

I could be wrong but that's what I think!

Honda prices thier nsx when it came out just right. 

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 08:09:35 PM »

You know what ferrari a make?  And lambo makes?  They don't make minivans...  Trucks...etc, they make sports cars and sports cars only..

I could be wrong but that's what I think!

Yeah, you be "wrong" about Lambo and Ferrari making "sports cars only":

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 08:47:47 PM »
Well that's a fast hummer and a fast snowbile at the very least!

The only way toyota and honda will truly be on a status lambo and ferrari is...

is if they had their own seperate arm other than lexus and acura... and built strictly varying degrees of supercar's. 

That's the only way, and if those car bare's no resemblence to any of their honda toyota line up.

As much as I'm a honda fan, they can't just stack up to lambo and ferrair.

I remember a BMI video and they tested the ferrari 430 and from all aspects.. it just blew all imports outta the water.

You can argue skyline blah blah this and that... but it's ... still not there. 

The skyline I believe is priced properly though.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Hitokiri

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 04:44:15 PM »
Honda prices thier nsx when it came out just right.

When the Honda NSX first came out it was very expensive. The original asking price was about 60-65,000 which equals to just over $100,000 in today's money.

Personally what I believe saved the NSX was not the technology, the price, or the reviews of the magazines. To me what made the NSX unique was its connection to motorsports and the people who helped built it mainly Aryton Senna and later Bobby Rahal and Alex Zanardi. In the 90's motorsports was bigger then life and I believe if Honda didn't have the backing of such names and it's championships in Formula One and Indycar the car would have sold very much like the LF-A.

Even if if the LF-A were priced competitively I think it would still have issues selling because the car has no history or any definition of what it suppose to be. All great car companies or car names like GT-R, Mustang, Camero, M3, and 911 - all have great histories behind them. What has Toyota done in the last 15 years on a worldwide scale? Nothng and that's why they're struggling to recapture or reinvent the motorsports side to themselves.

Watch...once Toyota wins the 24 Hours of Le Mans in their prototype and uses that technology to power their next supercar - THAT car will sell well because it has a history to it. That's why Toyota is spending hundreds of millions of dollars just to win that one race much like when they tried to win the Formula One championship. Motorsports is important and Toyota knows this and sees their mistake and is trying to make up for it.

Sifu

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 01:19:15 PM »
LFA is an engineers wet dream but that's about it.  It'll be an unobtainium unicorn in the future.  I'd still own one if I could afford it.

Advertisements