Advertisement

Author Topic: Shoreview Man Accused of Kidnapping 15-Year-Old Girl to Marry Her  (Read 20036 times)

Envy2

Re: Shoreview Man Accused of Kidnapping 15-Year-Old Girl to Marry Her
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 04:52:19 PM »
Guess he mus be Fresh off the Boat! We all know that shit don't work in AhMerca.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 05:50:30 PM »
Kiong is Hmong?

This is the story of a Hmong dude who still practice the way of the Hmong traditional Kidnapped for Marriage process. According to the news article, 21-year-old Kong Meng Kiong of Shoreview recently kidnapped his 15-year-old girlfriend of 3 months from her home and force her to submit to a Hmong marriage. Later, the girl's parents contacted Kiong's parents about the kidnapping and Kiong's parents said they wanted Kiong and the girl to be married in the Hmong cultural way. The girl's parents respond by saying that tradition doesn't work here in the USA and that what they did was wrong. During an interview after her release from captivity, the girl told police she and Kiong first started their relationship in January 2015 and that they had sex before the girl's 15th birthday (which I assume occur somewhere between then and April Fool), Kiong in the interview admit to every actions he did and agree that what he did was wrong.

Kiong has been charged with kidnapping, third-degree criminal sexual conduct and false imprisonment. If convicted, he could be sentenced to 20 years in prison and $35,000 in fines on the kidnapping charge; up to 15 years in prison and $30,000 in fines on the sexual conduct charge; and up to three years in prison and $5,000 in fines on the false imprisonment charge.

Read the full article here...

http://kstp.com/news/stories/s3752364.shtml?cat=1

So what do you guys think, do you think Kiong's don't know better or do you think he deserve to be charge? His intend wasn't kidnapping for ransom, sex or anything, just for marriage. I assume his family are still holding onto tradition or something. Anyways tell me what you think about this article.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Buttercup

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 06:59:13 PM »
i was thinking the same too... he must be from those new hybrid clans... you know, like a cross between a hmoob kwm or khab and a xyooj... that or the media just butchered his xiong last name... lol!
Media butchered it.  The author apparently doesn't know the correct spelling or read it wrong.  FAIL.

K does not equal X.

Sydney

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 07:06:48 PM »
The most honorable way to marry a bride is to go and ask the parents for her hands.  Lay off the kidnapping and teenaged sex, no matter how fob or traditional one person is.  I guess some folks still have not recognized that Hmong tradition does not supercede the law of the land.             

I still can't figure out if I should sympathize with the young man and his plight. 

fOrEvEr_sUn_76

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 04:39:13 AM »
i was thinking the same too... he must be from those new hybrid clans... you know, like a cross between a hmoob kwm or khab and a xyooj... that or the media just butchered his xiong last name... lol!

Yeap, he's a Xiong, that original article screwed up the clan name. Here's a better article of the same story.

http://www.twincities.com/crime/ci_27823556/shoreview-man-kidnapped-sexually-assaulted-girl-15-force

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
  • Respect: +1038
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 08:21:10 AM »
According to the article, her parents didn't find out what happened to her until after midnight?    ???   I'm sorry but if I had an underage daughter, I would know where she is that late of the night......in bed or at home.  All parties are at fault here, but to different extents.  No one is blameless in this incident.    ::)

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 09:30:25 AM »
According to the article, her parents didn't find out what happened to her until after midnight?    ???   I'm sorry but if I had an underage daughter, I would know where she is that late of the night......in bed or at home.  All parties are at fault here, but to different extents.  No one is blameless in this incident.    ::)

Is it possible that they were searching for her during the time they've considered she's missing and didn't know "until after midnight"?  ???

Xeemxai

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 09:35:57 AM »
Tej teeb meem zoo li nos happens every day and to all kind of people, tsi yog Hmong xwb. So txhob cem cem parents thiab.  Hmoob muaj ib proverbs tias "yog tsi tau ua parents txhob maj tuag"  One day our being parent term will come and see how good some of us are. 

Parents yeej paub thiab educated their children as much as they could.  Tab si menyuam tsi tau paub tab, lawv xav ua lis lawv xav xwb ce dhaus me ntsi lawm.  Dhau li tej zaum, qhov niag new system thiab society zoo dhaus qhov zoo lawm ce tib neeg phav tsi tau li. 

God bless!

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
  • Respect: +1038
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2015, 03:03:15 PM »
Is it possible that they were searching for her during the time they've considered she's missing and didn't know "until after midnight"?  ???

I'm not sure.  The article states that the brother told them where she was and the brothers knew where he lived, so the parents were able to go to his house and bring her back home.

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

Offline Prude

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 04:39:12 PM »
Bride price issue. She eloped and her parents are disadvantaged in the negotiations. The way to handle this is to show who's boss over her and her guy's family.

I bet you 100% that these two families know one another well and know what could and would happen if they were to let her elope successfully or to have the groom come and beg for her hands at her parents'.

Stybic_Kemaka

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 10:55:28 PM »
Very civilized n smarty American kids ... What a smart way to use the Hmong broken system to shield ur own phedophile acts... I guess u will soon find out how uncivilized Hmong broken system is now  :knuppel2:

chidorix0x

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 12:30:46 AM »
...  kekeke  ...   ;D

This has NOTHING to do with Hmong marriage customs period; bride-napping or otherwise for underage girls as that was already discouraged and even disallowed in SEAsia (Laos/Thailand) during the late 20th Century by the overwhelming majority of Hmong, and is clearly prohibited in the USA once the Hmong become conscious/knowledgeable of US laws.

Whomever (HA'MUNG) professes that this case is Hmong tradition whatsoever related is just purely out of touch with reality  ...   :idiot2:

The guy and girl obviously had a clue what they were doing.  And getting busted/caught just made matters worst on both front (with the minor getting off free while the elder will be bait for his cellmaties)  ...  KEKEKE  ...   >:D

Like this post: +1

minorcharacter

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 08:09:51 AM »
...  kekeke  ...   ;D

This has NOTHING to do with Hmong marriage customs period; bride-napping or otherwise for underage girls as that was already discouraged and even disallowed in SEAsia (Laos/Thailand) during the late 20th Century by the overwhelming majority of Hmong, and is clearly prohibited in the USA once the Hmong become conscious/knowledgeable of US laws.

Whomever (HA'MUNG) professes that this case is Hmong tradition whatsoever related is just purely out of touch with reality  ...   :idiot2:

The guy and girl obviously had a clue what they were doing.  And getting busted/caught just made matters worst on both front (with the minor getting off free while the elder will be bait for his cellmaties)  ...  KEKEKE  ...   >:D

Exactly, so sick of hearing Hmong people proclaim this is tradition.  It's about as much a part of Hmong tradition as killing, raping, and extorting natives is tradition to the French, British, and Spanish.  Everyone knows it's a no-no, yet people still do what they think they can get away with because in third world and underdeveloped countries there is no law that will stop them.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 07:00:38 PM »

This has NOTHING to do with Hmong marriage customs period;

Then why are weddings still happening when the bride is kidnapped or "zij"? Why didn't they (the groom and bride's parents) deny the wedding proceedings since it has "NOTHING to do with Hmong marriage customs period"?

Fact is, bride kidnapping is one way to get married and it is a part of the Hmong marriage customs. And it's been part of it for centuries. Even happens today as we can see on this thread. Good thing the girl's parents had enough sense not to go through with it.

You can deny all you want that bride kidnapping is not part of the traditional Hmong wedding process but the research will deny your claim. Besides the elders' words and others that have actually witnessed this atrocity accounts, the research to back it up is very easy to find, and it'll show that it happens, and accepted in several cultures including the Hmong culture.

I am just glad to see more and more Hmong people are dropping this primitive aspect of traditional Hmong wedding customs...

bulbasaur

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 07:04:51 PM »

Advertisements