Advertisement

Author Topic: Moonangel's Weight Loss and Healthy Eating Log  (Read 33143 times)

zena

Moonangel's Weight Loss and Healthy Eating Log
« on: April 07, 2015, 12:30:38 PM »
I gained some weight back.  Between last fall and now, I fluctuated between gaining and losing 4 or 5 pounds, depending on if I exercise, don't exercise, eat right, or not.  A lot of things happened since I was on good track last summer that started my downhill back to gaining weight.  The last straw was my furry Keeshond getting mauled by a boxer.  I was on a run with her and after she was mauled, luckily her fur saved her from any serious bites, I decided that I can't run around the block anymore.  The boxer was actually leashed and with her owner but because the boxer was pulling hard, it snapped, and thus the attack.  That was actually the second time my dog was attacked by a boxer...yeah, boxers are very popular in our neighborhood.  I'm still considering a treadmill but again they are too expensive.  I'm not broke or anything, just trying to justify the cost, etc.  I'm also still considering a gym membership which my husband does not think it wise.

Also, I switched smartphones.  I did all my tracking of my weight and food through my phone.  Went from Samsung to iPhone and even though the iPhone does have Noom, it was different from what I was used to on the Samsung.  I tried it for about 6 months and just didn't like it and had been planning to look for a good substitute but just hadn't had the time get to it.  Well, last night I decided to look for something on the iPhone which would be similar.  I downloaded 2 apps and tried them out but they were not that great.  They didn't compare to Noom.  Noom tracks weight, calories, and exercise.  The other apps didn't track exercise and I need that.  Maybe I just don't know where to look but I searched based on popularity and the ones I downloaded was called Loose It and Fooducate.  I may have downloaded a 3rd one and deleted it 'cause it just seemed too weird.  So, I gave in and downloaded Noom again.  I started playing with it and realized it was always the one I needed.  I am just using the free Noom because that's about all I really need.

Anyway, my real problem is that I've gained some more weight in my mid section.  The love handles have grown a little.  I know some of it has to do with age (I'm turning 40 at the end of this year) and I've had a sweets craving within the last 3 months which have ceased suddenly.  I know that the sweets have added to the midsection.

Going forward, my exercise goal is to exercise daily for about half an hour with light weights (dumbbells at 5 to 10 lbs and hopefully move up to 20 lbs).  The exercise is mainly stretching and situps, squats, etc.  My daughter does a routine to flatten her tummy (she's a dancer) and she wants me to do them with her.  I've seen her do them and I don't think I am capable of those moves but I'll give it a try.  I've changed my mind about running around the neighborhood.  I'm still going to run but without my dog and maybe run two or three times a week but not every day.  Food-wise, I don't eat that much.  It's just that once in awhile I'll crave and those are dangerous times but if I keep it at a minimum then I think it'll be fine.

Overall, my goal is to maintain a healthy lifestyle.  I don't want to go crazy working out and eating healthy just to lose the weight and then gain it back once I stop working out.  So, my other purpose is to make food/search for food that I like and that I'll continue eating.  For instance, a few days ago, I made garbanzo beans/chick peas with curry sauce.  It was delicious and filled me up.  I'm going to try making curry with lentils too.

And lastly, it's my doctor's orders to exercise and eat healthy (no more white rice, bread, or sweets or alcohol...alth ough, I really don't drink at all).

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

J-a-s-o-n

Re: Moonangel's Weight Loss and Healthy Eating Log
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 01:15:09 PM »
Read my "FYI" thread.  It may help you out.  Keep us posted on your journey.  O0

zena

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 03:58:12 PM »
Thanks, Json.  I did read it. Very helpful.

zena

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 04:04:11 PM »
Okay, so from time to time I'll try to share what I've been doing.  This morning I took a photo of myself in regular clothes just to show my size.  My goal is to lose about 30 13 lbs by May.  My caloric intake is 1200 per day.

For lunch I had brown rice with bamboo chicken stir fry and a side of thai pepper sauce with green lemon grass tea for my drink.

Here's what it looks like when I enter into Noom for breakfast and lunch.

Noom also includes snacks between breakfast, lunch, and dinner (which is nice!).  I had about a cup of cubed fresh pineapples for snack just after breakfast.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 03:05:50 PM by moonangel »

J-a-s-o-n

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 06:54:47 PM »
30lbs by May is a lot.  I mean a lot.  That much weight loss for your size is unhealthy.  5-15 pounds is ideal.  I lost 30lbs In 3 months.  You'll feel sluggish if you were to drop that much.  I would advise to not look at the scale.  Gotta lift weights and lift hard.  Blood, sweat, and tears.  You can do it.   O0

zena

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 08:57:28 PM »
30lbs by May is a lot.  I mean a lot.  That much weight loss for your size is unhealthy.  5-15 pounds is ideal.  I lost 30lbs In 3 months.  You'll feel sluggish if you were to drop that much.  I would advise to not look at the scale.  Gotta lift weights and lift hard.  Blood, sweat, and tears.  You can do it.   O0

Sorry, I got the numbers wrong.  I can't lose 30 lbs...I'd be underweight.  I meant, I need to lose about 13 lbs. to be at normal weight for my height.  Not sure where I got 30 from...I know I needed to lose 30 lbs about 2 years ago so maybe that's what was in my head when I was typing...or maybe I meant 30 lbs total including from 2 years ago.  Anyway, you get my point.

Keep in mind, this is the info generated from Noom from the info I provide it.  I didn't make my goal up.  All I do is choose how slow or quick I want to lose the weight and Noom determines the time (month) and my caloric intake to get to where I want to be.  Yes, I will definitely try my best to lift some weights but I don't want to build too much muscle since I do have an interest in running a 2K or something.

Your calories intake is a bit on the low side. The trick to lose weight is like what brother Jason mentioned above. You have to lose it slowly, a trick I heard is scaling back on calories in take by the week(s). I.e. One week do 1,200 if you feel tired, then up it to 1,300. Once your body adjust, then drop it slowly to 1,200. Another way to lose weight is work out with the bf... I mean husband.

Losing too much weight too fast at 40 isn't healthy. Some negative impact are major hair lost and pooping cycling being off.

As mentioned to Json, I typed the wrong weightloss.  It is 13 lbs that I need to lose, not 30.  Last year and before, I went medium speed which worked out great but decided to up it this year and go fast because as I mentioned in previous posts a couple years back, I plateaued and I have stayed plateaued for some time with minor gains up or down 4/5 lbs, except now I have extra love handles.  My calorie intake actually adjusts base on my workout.  Noom also tracks my daily walk (it's not 100% accurate because I bring my phone with me when I drive) so now it has jumped from 1200 to 1400.  I try to stay within the 1200 but I'm finding that I don't even eat 1200 calories a day!  However, sometimes, I eat over 1200 and closer to 1300 but only when I'm at a gathering which is rare but does happen.  Btw, I'm not 40 yet.  Just turned 39 so I kinda want to enjoy this last year as a 30-year-oldish person.  ;D  And, I do work out with my husband.  We run and bike ride together.  :)

Not running this week though.  I am sick. Something's in my lungs and I think my body is just worn out from the 7 mile uphill hike last Friday.  But, I have been keeping up with lifting tiny weights and doing some situps and squats.

zena

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 11:47:31 AM »
My total calorie intake yesterday was 700.  I tried to eat more but I just couldn't force myself if I'm full.

For dinner, I had a veggie delite from Subway.  It was very good.  The family goes to subway quite often and I normally get a 6 inch turkey but I think the veggie delite is going to be a new favorite.

Today's workout:

Did 15 minutes of low weights, leg stretches, and situps.  Not feeling well and just didn't have the energy.

Food:

Breakfast: Quaker oatmeal

zena

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 02:10:30 PM »
700 calories intake is like 2.5 slices if pizza... That's no good, you are starving your body.

LOL!  Yeah, however, I don't tend to eat much when I'm under the weather.  I should get back to my normal eating self in a few days here....hopefu lly sooner.  :)

minorcharacter

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 02:18:41 PM »
Hello and nyob zoo, Moon Angel.  I think it's quite the awakening when someone wants to take better care of themselves and their health by focusing on exercise and better eating.

You don't have to eat logs though.  I doubt they're very nutritious anyways and I'm not sure how people would cook them.

zena

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 02:59:37 PM »
Here is the tracking from the hike last Friday.  If you want to see the photos of the hike, go to my blog, here.

zena

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 03:01:36 PM »
Hello and nyob zoo, Moon Angel.  I think it's quite the awakening when someone wants to take better care of themselves and their health by focusing on exercise and better eating.

You don't have to eat logs though.  I doubt they're very nutritious anyways and I'm not sure how people would cook them.

Hello, minor.  I agree...and LOL now that you mentioned log in that way.

J-a-s-o-n

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 05:26:52 PM »
700 calories in day is not healthy.  You'll lose weight and it'll be muscle mass too.  Catabolic. 

zena

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 07:26:14 PM »
The photo was taken July 2013 on the Carnival Cruise.  A wonderful vacation that went by too fast but that I couldn't wait to come home either...LOL.  I had worked really hard three months earlier to lose 12 lbs and to fit in that cute dress.

When I returned home, I lost an extra 7 lbs and remained that weight until the holidays of 2013...LOL.  Then, I gained back 3 lbs and since then, have been at my current weight.  But, I realized that because of family illnesses and such, not to mention, the incident with my dog, I binged on sweets and the ugliest love handles sprouted.  They've always been difficult to get rid of.  Moving forward, I'm going to substitute fruits in place of sweets.  I know too much fruit isn't good but it's way better than eating my all time go to homemade apple pie with two heaping spoons of French vanilla ice-cream.

zena

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 07:35:32 PM »
700 calories in day is not healthy.  You'll lose weight and it'll be muscle mass too.  Catabolic.

I'm back on track today.  :)

You look great. You can do it. I'm starting mine and it's hard but lifting weights I noticed a difference in one week. Cardio is fun but sometimes it's hard for us beginner. Right now I do about 20 minutes. Once I build my endurance and strength, I can further do more.

Oh by the way, I do not track my calories intake. We hmong food is hard because it's not on there. So I portion size control and it's going well. Jason post in FYI is really good.

Keep us updated.

Thanks, MissKoua85.  I also do 20 minutes cardio via running.  Have been religious at it until last December when the incident with my dog stopped me all together.  But, I've ran with my husband a couple of weeks ago and miss it.  I've actually lifted my small weights until they felt like nothing so I'm in the process of moving up to heavier ones.  That's a good way to go about it...portion size, if you can't track.  I have to track my calories and guestimate the calories if there is no pre-entered food type.  For me personally, the app is the number one thing that keeps me motivated. Second is blogging about it.  Third is posting photos so I can look back and remember to keep going.  :)

zena

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 12:50:47 PM »
You look just fine in your pix... Why kill ya self to lose a few  pounds.

Some people as they get older, gain weight in their butts, some in their tummy.  I'm gaining weight in my tummy, so even if my arms, legs, and butts are small, my tummy isn't.  It's where most of my extra weight is.

...and I'm not killing myself in losing a few lbs.  These are serious lbs the doc recommend I lose.  It ties to future heart problems and diabetes.  :)

Advertisements