Advertisement

Author Topic: High/ Epic Fantasy  (Read 4364 times)

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
High/ Epic Fantasy
« on: April 17, 2015, 03:21:28 PM »
Discuss your current reads. Recommend. Analyze. Share.

Patrick Rothfuss;
Kingkiller Chronicles

Brian Sanderson;
The Way of Kings

David Farland;
Runelords

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

zena

Re: High/ Epic Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 02:19:13 PM »
I have The Name of the Wind on my wait list.  It's one of the more popular books on goodreads and one that I tried to check out a while ago but was never available and I didn't want to be on the wait list.  I've been reading some really horribly bad fantasy recently so I went ahead and got on the wait list.  I'm 7th in line which means I'll be reading it around this time next year.  ;D  but, seriously.

zena

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 11:01:23 AM »
I am still on the waislist (could you believe?) for Name of the Wind, but recently learned that this story was going to be made into a movie or tv series.  Source: writing FB group.

zena

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 06:54:45 PM »
So.....I just realized that I've already attempted The Name of the Wind earlier this year and didn't like it so I didn't get very far.  I only realized this because I finally got off the waitlist.  After a few chapters in, I remembered the stuff about the spiders and the story telling.  I'm bummed.  I wanted this to be a different book.  Anyway, I'm going to read as much as I can of it and see how it goes.  Honestly, the first time, it wasn't that great, and now it's about the same.  I'm undecided as to whether I should really continue but since I don't have any books that I'm interested in reading right now (although I do have 2 other books that I've checked out that I should read but one is on the computer and I don't enjoy reading at my computer and the other book I've already started but it's not so good) I'm going to just try to finish it.  :-[

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 03:30:04 PM »
The narrative in the book does seem endless. But it's worth it to muddle through and get to the "good" parts.

I know the feeling. It's the scent of the ink and the paper. e-Books just doesn't give you the same satisfaction.

I have way too many books. I've always wanted to build a shelf for them. And the times I've spent too much on a hard cover because the paperback was a year out...

zena

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 05:56:51 PM »
Yeah.  I tried twice. I won't be able to read it.  It's a bummer.  I need that world building and character development to hook me.  It just wasn't happening.

Advertisements