Advertisement

Author Topic: Is baci (khi tes) really a Hmong tradition?  (Read 6604 times)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Is baci (khi tes) really a Hmong tradition?
« on: April 21, 2015, 04:55:11 PM »
The Lao and Thai do it, too. I don't think they would have copied it from us Hmong. Might be the other way around.

Like this post: 0
"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Adverstisement

chidorix0x

Re: Is baci (khi tes) really a Hmong tradition?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 05:01:58 PM »
...  kekeke  ...   :2funny:

Baci (khi tes) is a true traditional Hmong/Mong ceremonial practice/belief that is orginally/genuinely Hmong/Mong since the dawm of time exactly like Kev Ntseeg VajTswv (Christianity) and other HA'Mung practices/beliefs like "Lawb Neeg Lawb Tsav"  ...  KEKEKE  ...   >:D

proudlao

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 08:42:47 AM »
It's commonly known as sou khuan. The calling of the spirits. Lao people perform baci for an illness and happy occasions as well. Do Hmong perform this for illness only or both too?

Giggles_Shyly

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 09:11:06 AM »
Hmong people do it for well wishes I thought..... for the sick (kev mob kev nkeeg), happy occasions (wedding, hu plig~visiting relatives or for the kev zoo siab rau niam thiab txiv)

From what I have seen so far. I recently had a aunt that pasted and saw it at the funeral among family(immediate family members). Different strokes for different folks :) unsure what it's for. I didn't ask.

MovKuam

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 01:24:31 PM »
Hmong borrowed baci from Laotian  O0 but the one tied by the shaman is hmong thing  ;D

MovKuam

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 01:25:59 PM »
Hmong people do it for well wishes I thought..... for the sick (kev mob kev nkeeg), happy occasions (wedding, hu plig~visiting relatives or for the kev zoo siab rau niam thiab txiv)

From what I have seen so far. I recently had a aunt that pasted and saw it at the funeral among family(immediate family members). Different strokes for different folks :) unsure what it's for. I didn't ask.

They usual used red string so the bad azz spirits doesn't take them. Whom want to hold your hands when its on fire?

minorcharacter

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 02:25:13 PM »
I don't know enough about Hmong history, but just from an overview of history in general when two different civilizations collide one or both will begin borrowing traditions and customs from the other.  Just look up all the influences from ancient Mesopotamia on the modern day world.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 03:08:55 PM »
I don't know enough about Hmong history, but just from an overview of history in general when two different civilizations collide one or both will begin borrowing traditions and customs from the other.  Just look up all the influences from ancient Mesopotamia on the modern day world.

Agree

yuknowthat

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 06:04:05 PM »
Khi tes li nos is hmong adopting it from laos and thai. Its a blessing for thai and laos.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 04:01:34 PM »
We Hmong use the baci ceremony for good blessings. The newly-weds get the strings. So does the new graduate or one who has returned from a distant mission. And the like.

Spiritual protections usually come in the form of what bro MovKuam has mentioned: the shaman's red or striped STRING.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

proudlao

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 06:44:37 PM »
The practice of Buddhism does come from Himduism. But it was said Lao people have observe, practice the calling of the souls/spirits long before the teaching of the Buddha made its way into SEA regions. It's borderline voodoo/black magic, its belief that su kuan (baci) invoke the 32 organs of the human body consider as spirits. It's part of keeping balance and harmony with one self and the community and the after life.

NeejYagHawj

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 02:55:24 PM »
khi tes was only adopted from nplog back in the 40s 50s when touby lee and later vp came into power.  it is not a mong traditional... which is why moog leeg would not khi tes during wedding.

yh

Advertisements