Advertisement

Author Topic: IT Internship  (Read 81985 times)

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
IT Internship
« on: May 04, 2015, 12:29:20 PM »
So the IT department at the college is looking for a few Interns and I was planning on applying for it. So far this is all the things I could think of as to what I know and can do....I'm thinking should I modify it a bit more because from what I know about colleges, they use LAN/WAN connections as well as virtual servers and Wifi setup. I'm pretty good at Wifi setup and getting a computer to connect to the internet. I'm able to install OS on Virtual machines like VMWare.

What do you guys suggest?

Professional Skills
Technical
•   Demonstrate technical abilities in the areas of computer systems, software installation and testing
•   Interpret manuals, procedures and computer programs provided by the company
•   Analyze computer problems by testing to determine which computer parts need replacement or repair
•   Problem-solved personal computer programs to achieve higher performance
Computer
•   Test and diagnose computer systems
•   Produce quality written documents using Microsoft Office 2013
•   Installed, configure and test software
•   Knowledge of computer and laptop installation
Software
•   PeopleSoft
•   Microsoft Office Suite
•   Knowledge of Windows and Mac operating systems
Special Skills
•   Fluent in Hmong and English

Volunteer Activities
Hmong Student Union Club                         2011-2012
•   Elected as President of Hmong Student Union
•   Assist in events and meetings

Volunteer Certificates
•   Certificate of Achievement in Student Government Association Leadership Development
•   Hmong Student Union Certificate of Excellence
•   Recognition of Involvement in the Hmong Annual Festival Celebration 2008

« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:32:49 PM by Risingstars »

Like this post: 0
"Noj zaub yuav rau roj, ua neeg nyob yuav tsum ua siab loj"

Adverstisement

minorcharacter

Re: IT Internship
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 12:39:57 PM »
Hi, RisingStars do you mind posting the description of the IT internship here?  IT can differ in so many different ways from doing help desk support, networks engineering, web development, to mobile development.  My general principle is to reuse words on the job description on your resume.  If you don't have a direct connection with the hiring manager then this will help your resume get through the filter if they use a job posting site like taleos.

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 12:54:05 PM »
Hi, RisingStars do you mind posting the description of the IT internship here?  IT can differ in so many different ways from doing help desk support, networks engineering, web development, to mobile development.  My general principle is to reuse words on the job description on your resume.  If you don't have a direct connection with the hiring manager then this will help your resume get through the filter if they use a job posting site like taleos.

Its through college website but the Internship hasn't been posted yet. I just got a call from my counselor about the Internship and for me if I'm interested, to apply when its posted. What I posted was part of my actual resume. I learned through connections with classmates and advisers that when creating a resume to match with the posting. I did that with the previous job posting but I didn't get it because there was a lot of people who apply for that job. The cool thing is that I had a phone interview with them. It gave me some good points to having a phone interviewer and how I should prepare in the future.

Laugh out loud, I learned that you should never studder when you are having the phone interview. It sucks when you can't clearly explain yourself when you're nervous.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:56:12 PM by Risingstars »

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 01:05:37 PM »
Do you suggest I put down as well that I know a little bit about using Kali to penetrate through security? I learned this from a class.

minorcharacter

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 01:08:33 PM »
I'm sure your resume will be fine then.  Sounds like it's the interview process itself that will get you.  As you get more interviews you'll get more experience and have a general guideline of do's and don'ts and your confidence will grow.  Your ability to articulate yourself will also improve overall.  I don't think there's an easy way around this, study some behavioral questions they might ask you and go with the flow.  Internships have more to do with whether the hiring manager thinks you'll be a fit for the team rather than your current skills or experience.  Attitude is something that your school won't teach you.  O0

Like this post: +2

minorcharacter

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 01:10:15 PM »
Do you suggest I put down as well that I know a little bit about using Kali to penetrate through security? I learned this from a class.

Yes, if the internship works with security and you can fit it in somewhere without having it awkwardly stand out.

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
I'm sure your resume will be fine then.  Sounds like it's the interview process itself that will get you.  As you get more interviews you'll get more experience and have a general guideline of do's and don'ts and your confidence will grow.  Your ability to articulate yourself will also improve overall.  I don't think there's an easy way around this, study some behavioral questions they might ask you and go with the flow.  Internships have more to do with whether the hiring manager thinks you'll be a fit for the team rather than your current skills or experience.  Attitude is something that your school won't teach you.  O0

Awesome man, thanks for the tip....The previous job internship I applied for. It took me 1 week to create the resume, 3 days for the cover letter and 2 weeks going over interview questions. You have a huge advantage when it comes to interviewing because you can use notes and stuff that are right in front of you but here is the catch. If you prepare yourself only by looking at notes and not going with the flow, you're going to be off hand and scramble for answers. That is what I did, and now I learned that I shouldn't go off my paper but use that only as a reference. But It is okay, life doesn't just end right there, I have to keep moving and keeping practicing.

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 08:29:33 PM »
Okay so Minor, they finally posted the Internship.... Here is the requirements.

Based on the candidate’s skills, abilities and interests, PRIMARY duties include any or all of the following:

(1) Troubleshoot computer related problems;

(2) Install software on equipment;

(3) Install data or communications wiring;

(4) Install hardware components in existing machines;

(5) Install hardware in offices, classrooms and labs;

(6) Install technology in interactive classrooms;

(7) Assist with Audio/Visual Install and set-up;

(8) Transport and setting up equipment.

SECONDARY duties may include:

(1) Provide Technical Support in a Help Desk environment;

(2) Provide phone, email and Level 1 support in a Help Desk environment;

(3) Research hardware/software requirements/questions/inventory status;

(4) Performs other related departmental duties as requested by the supervisor.

minorcharacter

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 08:46:39 AM »
Oh man, sounds like if you know how to use a computer and how to follow instructions from google then you're pretty much good for the job.  You almost already sound overqualified.  You don't need luck.  LOL

Just be sure to overcome your problems with speech and you'll be fine.  Join up with a Toastmaster's group or something.

Like this post: +1

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 02:10:34 PM »
Oh man, sounds like if you know how to use a computer and how to follow instructions from google then you're pretty much good for the job.  You almost already sound overqualified.  You don't need luck.  LOL

Just be sure to overcome your problems with speech and you'll be fine.  Join up with a Toastmaster's group or something.

minorcharacter = wise one

yeah, seems like they are looking for 1st level tech support... should be easy peasy.  like minor says if it's speech/confidence that needs a little omph... toastmasters are fun.  if i had more time i would join one too... it's kinda fun speaking in front of a room in a take charge kind of way, like you're some leader/ceo of a non-existent billionaire company.... totally fun.

Envy2

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 03:45:56 PM »

LMAOF good one.

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 10:50:48 AM »
So the college contacted me and ask me to go in for a 2 day interview, both days has a 1 hour long interview. Holy balls am I excited...Is this a good time to bring in Letter of Recommendation s too?

minorcharacter

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 10:56:35 AM »
Yes!  Be sure to stuff your crotch.  Your interviewer, most likely a man, will immediately notice this and become intimidated and feel inferior to you.  This will give you control of the interview allowing you to better play your bargaining chips while he cowers in fear and his voice slowly cracks away.

Like this post: +1

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 10:59:52 AM »
Yes!  Be sure to stuff your crotch.  Your interviewer, most likely a man, will immediately notice this and become intimidated and feel inferior to you.  This will give you control of the interview allowing you to better play your bargaining chips while he cowers in fear and his voice slowly cracks away.

LOL! Hahaha good one. I will do some practicing interview later on today. And thank you for all the advice you given me. PH should promote you to Member of the month....

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 12:51:13 PM »
I know they will ask me....What do you know about our company? How would I go about addressing this if its a college?

Advertisements