Advertisement

Author Topic: IT Internship  (Read 82028 times)

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
Re: IT Internship
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 04:41:47 PM »
I think I write about this all the time.

S-Situation
T-Task
A-Action
R-Result

Practice using the STAR method and you will be the best candidate.  for each item listed, make sure you have a good story to tell.  Turn the interview into a conversation about how awesome you will contribute  to the organization while expanding your knowledge and experience.

OMG i never knew they would ask this so much....I have been to so many interviews and they ask me this all the time. I studder and don't know how to answer this...

Like this post: 0
"Noj zaub yuav rau roj, ua neeg nyob yuav tsum ua siab loj"

Adverstisement

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 04:50:36 PM »
Until, recently on Thursday I had a phone interview. The nice lady asked me a bunch of questions like, "do you know anything about our company?" I hit her with a memorable event they had connecting that to their mission. She replied back, "that is exactly what we are". Then she went on and asked me the STAR question, previous employer's management, what else do I what them to know about me, and any questions for her. I thought the phone interview went pretty good and she said that I should hear back from them in 1 week or 2 from the IT department manager. It's awesome because just today (Friday), I received a phone call from the IT department manager. This tells me that I have aced the phone interview part and now its the face to face interview with the IT department manager and the "what could be co-workers who I will work with".

I'm very confident I will do good.
I'm planning on bringing at least 10 copies of my resume, cover letters, professional references, pens, my padfolio, and my letter of recommendation s.

What are some other stuff you guys suggest I should bring or say at the interview?
I know I would land in this job if I aced this part as well.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 10:37:18 AM »
Oh man, sounds like if you know how to use a computer and how to follow instructions from google then you're pretty much good for the job.  You almost already sound overqualified.  You don't need luck.  LOL

Just be sure to overcome your problems with speech and you'll be fine.  Join up with a Toastmaster's group or something.

Google, that's the truth, I myself am the computer rep and when people ask me things I just tell them " well you can Google it or I can Google it"  basically I'm saying to them I know just as much as they do, so how about them doing it themselves.   

I don't have any computer experiences!  I just turn the, on and off like everyone!

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 11:17:39 AM »

Google, that's the truth, I myself am the computer rep and when people ask me things I just tell them " well you can Google it or I can Google it"  basically I'm saying to them I know just as much as they do, so how about them doing it themselves.   

I don't have any computer experiences!  I just turn the, on and off like everyone!

Google is a good source of information. I'm asking for personal experiences that I can't really find on Google.

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2015, 12:55:32 PM »
OMG! I got the job hahaha. Feeling relief but I'm on temp for 30 days. But still need to work 40 hours a week.

itdiestoday

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 09:29:19 AM »
Congrats.  Doing LAN/WAN and Network Engineering can be big bucks in the long run.  Good luck.

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 11:26:38 AM »
As a college student myself any internship will always benefit you, I have never seen an internship that is a front desk assistant. I personally am working as an intern right now not in my field of study but it is a great experience to go outside the box. I'm a Mechanical Engineering (designing concentration) working as an IT.

Haha wow that is definitely out of your career. Sad but its true about what you said about experience outside of the box. I was an Interpreter for 4 years now and I just finally landed a job in the IT field. But just working as an internship. Decent pay and I guess they are very flexible with your schedules. I haven't started the internship yet, I'll be starting it this coming Monday. When I was being interviewed by the IT department manager, he said basically when you first start the internship position they will just have you work on deploying and configuring workstations along with helping deploy phone systems and printers. A few months later you will have to be able to help out with the ticketing system which is to be able to fix hardware and whatever they need help with.

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2015, 02:37:48 PM »
I was thinking...how did your internship go?

Haha, it's been a while since I came logged on to PebHmong. It's going pretty good with my internship. I had my first 1 on 1 with my supervisor and he asked me how long left until I graduate? I told him that I won't be until December of 2016 and it seems pretty long to him because my contract ends in June of 2016. He said that he would be glad to hire me for a position but there isn't anything he can do right now because our team is full. I sit on the other side of our team so I'm kind of left out. Just this coming December 11th, one of the server guys will be quitting his job to accept a job offer closer to his town so that will open up a position. I had a talk with a few of our team members and one of them said that when they got hired in the department, they will eventually take a promotion if there is a chance. So what that means for me is that I will need to create a good resume and cover letter to apply for the position of the team member that will go take that server position. It seems right off the bat that my supervisor and team mates will want to hire me I know the principals of the work ethic there. At first when I got into the internship, I was pretty quite and don't talk much. Now I'm more of a buddy to everyone of them. Sometimes when there are big projects, I'll be the first one to throw in my hand and say "I'll help". That shows that I have a great leadership in not afraid of helping.

I really like working with the people I work with. Usually when I get a job, its just a job to pay for bills. Now this job that I have as an internship, I wouldn't miss a day of work unless I really have to. Sometimes the supervisor would treat us out to lunch. And for this semester, one of the team member from my department took the same class as me and the supervisor is like who ever gets the highest grade in that class, I will treat out to lunch. LOL!. I'm in the lead. I have a 99.48% grade and he has a 92.18% I just can't believe it.

Like this post: +1

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2015, 11:08:15 AM »
Looks like you have a good relationship with your boss and peers.  Awesome news brother.  Keep up the good work.

An anecdotal story for you.  I often hear about Hmong brothers and sisters who hit the glass ceiling in their career/role after 5-10 yrs.  I ask them how is your relationship with your boss.  It's always the same old answer, "meh."  Meaning, their relationship is mediocre at best and strain at worst.  You see that is a problem with the asian mentality.  We think having the highest GPA, SAT, etc... equals success, but in the real world, the best relationships equals success.  Make sure you continue to foster trust in your as a servant, confidence in you as a player, and most importantly integrity and honesty as a human being.  If you can do these things very well, you will go places people didn't think you had the ability to.

Thank you for the encouragement. I really enjoy what I do at work. I'm planning on continuing my education after I get the job (if I get promoted from intern to actual hire).

Offline techy

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2019, 12:27:44 PM »
It's been a while now. How did this experience work out?

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2019, 07:53:56 AM »
It's been a while now. How did this experience work out?
It was one hell of a life change. I never knew that getting that experience as an intern could change your life. When I was an intern I was making $13 an hour but learning a lot of things in IT. Then came a financial opportunity change. I applied at a health insurance company as a Information Systems Desktop Engineer. And that basically change everything about me financially. Making $54k a year plus yearly bonuses and any expenses that I paid with my own my the company will pay back.

Like this post: +2

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2019, 08:54:03 PM »
It was one hell of a life change. I never knew that getting that experience as an intern could change your life. When I was an intern I was making $13 an hour but learning a lot of things in IT. Then came a financial opportunity change. I applied at a health insurance company as a Information Systems Desktop Engineer. And that basically change everything about me financially. Making $54k a year plus yearly bonuses and any expenses that I paid with my own my the company will pay back.

Good for you, Risingstars!

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2019, 09:01:30 AM »
Good for you, Risingstars!
Thank you. But then when you work more and don't really have time for your spouse and kids. That's what will cause at home problems...it's what I'm dealing with at the moment.

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2019, 05:36:36 PM »
Thank you. But then when you work more and don't really have time for your spouse and kids. That's what will cause at home problems...it's what I'm dealing with at the moment.

I understand what you mean.  But family always comes first.  You can always find a new job but you can't replace your family/wife/kids.  Find the balance that works for you.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 06:13:32 PM by lilly »

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2019, 10:19:28 PM »

That's great to hear.  Never settle.  Learn Robotic Process Automation.  That's the future.  There's a Hmong guy who is the VP of Innovation at that company.

Advertisements