Advertisement

Author Topic: Comics That Changed My Childhood  (Read 11038 times)

bulbasaur

Comics That Changed My Childhood
« on: May 06, 2015, 12:31:51 AM »
Here is a list of comics that were influential to me as a kid.  There have been better comics before and since, but these are the ones that got me going.  In no particular ranking order....

1.  X-Men 1.  A simply beautiful comic.  To this day, Jim Lee is still my favorite artist.  This got me started reading.
2.  X-Men  25/Wolverine 75.  Holo-card cover.  Seeing Magneto rip Wolverine's metal out.  Ouch.  I actually own the entire Fatal Attractions collection, but these are the two that stick out.  These got me started collecting.
3.  Spiderman 1.  Todd MacFarlane.  Enough said. 
4.  Gen13 1-20ish.  I loved this series, but it simply didn't come out consistently.  I eventually stopped reading.  In any case, a comic with kid heroes.  Cool. 
5.  Superman 75.  He dies! 
6.  Sandman 50.  The entire series and spin-offs are great.  This is the first one I read. 
7.  Marvels.  Who knew a comic could look so beautiful?
8.  Kingdom Come.  DC's version of Marvels.
9.  Wild CATS 1.  This wasn't really a good comic series, but it pushed me to read Image and Wildstorm.  Yes, I read WildCats before Spawn. 
10. Frank Miller's Dark Knight.  People rave about Nolan's Batman movies, but they are late to the party. 
11. JLA 1.  This was the first time I had the chance to see all the DC heroes together.  This is the first series that I bought monthly.
12. Kabuki Reflections 1.  There used to be a bad girl trend in the industry.  This is the first one I got into.
13. Hellblazer 1.  For you new school kids, it's Constantine.  Along with Sandman, this really got me reading non-DC and non-Marvel stuff.  I really appreciate these comics for helping me branch out my reading.
14. Thunderbolts.  A twist ending in a comic book!  This was Sixth Sense to me as a kid.  Plot twists are common these days, but this was a big one back in the day. 
15.  Green Lantern 50.  A hero that actually went bad guy crazy?  People hate Kyle, but my journey with GL started with Kyle. 

I am leaving out a ton, but these are just a sample of what got me started.  Maybe I'll make another thread about my favorite story arcs and comic books.  For example, Scott Pilgrim, Preacher, Sin City, etc.  Those are really good comics, but I read those after I was already an active reader. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

bulbasaur

Re: Comics That Changed My Childhood
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 12:33:50 AM »
16.  Astro City!  I can't leave that off.  This one showed me that non-mainstream heroes are also cool. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 09:28:16 PM »
DC One Million. 

I really enjoyed this story arc.  Without giving out too many spoilers, the story takes place in the 853rd century of the DC universe.  The current heroes go into the future for a celebration, and whatdoyouknow, something goes wrong.  It's fun to see all sorts of variations of things we know.  Even the non-JLA characters had fun moments, like Resurrection Man and Hitman. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 06:31:50 AM »
Marvel Onslaught / Heroes Reborn / Heroes Return

*spoilers*

So after reading the Fatal Attractions story arc in the X-books, the Onslaught story arc just took it to another level.  What happens when the two most powerful mutants have their powers combined?  All the mutants and heroes got their spotlight.  The villains were awesome.  Dr. Doom was as bada$$ (now he is just a lame blogger).  The Hulk punched Onslaught so hard that Bruce Banner and the Hulk separated.  Even the finale was awesome because the heroes died!  Well, Spiderman didn't die.  Marvel wasn't going to outsource their best-selling hero.   

Heroes Reborn wasn't really great, but it was fun.  It's hard to imagine the Avengers, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America, and Fantastic Four as being unpopular (although FF4 is still kinda unpopular) because they are really popular today.  However, at the time, they were unpopular.  The books were boring, and people weren't buying them.  It was so bad that they replaced Tony Stark with a teenage Tony Stark from another timeline.  Anyways, Heroes Reborn was Marvel's attempt to make their classic heroes cool again.  Jim Lee was recruited.  This would be one of the earliest times that the comic industry have used Jim Lee to revitalize a struggling book (or in DC's case, books).  He is like The Rock but for comics.  Lee's book were fun, but he was also working with Liefeld. Liefeld's books were junk.  Heroes Reborn would have continued, but Lee wasn't interested in drawing. 

Heroes Return...meh.  But the heroes are back.  Yay.  Did anyone predict that happening? 

bulbasaur

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 10:19:02 PM »
DC vs. Marvel

This was always an ongoing debate among geeks (still is today).  Then one day, it happened.  Unfortunately, it was less than stellar, and the results were questionable.  For some of the fights, it was a vote.  So obviously, it was a popularity contest and not really a real battle.  They could have put Batman against Galactus, and Batman would have won. 

Let's look at some of the fights...
1. Batman beats Captain America.  In a straight up fight, Cap should have won.  But Batman never loses, so he wins.

2.  Robin beating Jubilee was a funny fight.  Robin didn't get touch and he didn't even throw a punch, and he still won. 

3.  Storm should have never beaten Wonder Woman. 

4.  Spiderman shouldn't have beaten Superboy.

Personally, I think DC should generally beat Marvel.  The top DC characters are often on the cosmic or god-like level.  Marvel tends to be more rooted in humanity.  Superman alone can just do a DBZ and blow up Earth 616. 

chidorix0x

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 05:21:28 PM »
DC vs. Marvel

This was always an ongoing debate among geeks (still is today).  Then one day, it happened.  Unfortunately, it was less than stellar, and the results were questionable.  For some of the fights, it was a vote.  So obviously, it was a popularity contest and not really a real battle.  They could have put Batman against Galactus, and Batman would have won. 

1. Batman beats Captain America.  In a straight up fight, Cap should have won.  But Batman never loses, so he wins.

2.  Robin beating Jubilee was a funny fight.  Robin didn't get touch and he didn't even throw a punch, and he still won. 

3.  Storm should have never beaten Wonder Woman.  

Personally, I think DC should generally beat Marvel.  The top DC characters are often on the cosmic or god-like level.  Marvel tends to be more rooted in humanity.  Superman alone can just do a DBZ and blow up Earth 616.

...  kekeke  ...   :2funny:

I am quite familiar with both DV and Marvel's superhero/heroine universe so let the "battle rage" on  ...  KEKEKE  ...   >:D

1.   No way Bats beats Caps.  That is pure "BS".  Bats has ZERO -- 0.00 -- super powers whatsoever!  Fawk his stupid "Bat-belt" where he can pull out a nuclear missile?  It is a fawking belt to keep his undies/pants up.  Even his stupid "bata-rangs" DO NOT even fit there including his stupid "bat-ropes" that he uses to fly around the city like Spidey.  (Heck! Spidey has webbing.  Oh yeah!  Spidey also actually has super powers.  So does Caps, aka a "super soldier".)

2.   No way Robin beats Jubilee.  (Yeah  ... yeah  ... she's a girl  ...  WITH X-powers.  Duh!)

3.  Old/new Storm can only beat Old Wonder-woman.  (Post Silver Age Wonder-Woman would whoop Storm's aRse like cotton candy.  She can even trade with Superman, and have fought/beaten some of DC's most powerful super villians.)

4.  Superboy would so totally kick Spidey's aRse.  (Spidey might have super strength and then some, but it is nothing near Super.  Do not forget Superboy has super speed, heat vision, super hearing etc..  He is just SUPER whereas Spidey is but an insect.  Duh!  I LUV Spidey but this battle is a NO-Brainer.)

No sure what DC super heroes you are comparing with Marvel's lineup, but some of Marvel's super heroes/villains ARE cosmic/gods.  Examp:  Thor, Phoenix (esp. Dark Phoenix), Silver Surfer, Thanos, Captain Marvel (not Ms Marvel or Marvel Girl), Galactacus, Nova (the cosmic entity, not Nova of the Nova Corp, but even he's cosmic.), Adam Warlock, Terrax, the Collector, Cosmic Spidey, Gladiator (he's practically Marvel's Superman), Onslaught, even Juggernaut and Wolverine (he lives forever) etc. etc..

bulbasaur

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 07:31:31 AM »
*yawns*  For a person who is claiming familiarity, you don't seem familiar.  Is this going to be another one of your rants where you have no idea what you are talking about?  Read the title again before you start putting things in weird fonts and colors.  There was an actual crossover many years ago where DC characters went against Marvel.  Batman beat Captain America.  Robin beat Jubilee.  Storm beat Wonder Woman.  Spiderman beat Superboy.  Maybe you don't agree on the outcomes, but it happened.  I'm talking specifically about the comics, but if you want to talk about the battles for fun, that's another topic for another day. 

BTW, you should review your assessment of DC vs Marvel.   You're not setting up a fair comparison. 

I am quite familiar with both DV and Marvel's superhero/heroine universe so let the "battle rage" on  ...  KEKEKE  ...   >:D

1.   No way Bats beats Caps.  That is pure "BS".  Bats has ZERO -- 0.00 -- super powers whatsoever!  Fawk his stupid "Bat-belt" where he can pull out a nuclear missile?  It is a fawking belt to keep his undies/pants up.  Even his stupid "bata-rangs" DO NOT even fit there including his stupid "bat-ropes" that he uses to fly around the city like Spidey.  (Heck! Spidey has webbing.  Oh yeah!  Spidey also actually has super powers.  So does Caps, aka a "super soldier".)

2.   No way Robin beats Jubilee.  (Yeah  ... yeah  ... she's a girl  ...  WITH X-powers.  Duh!)

3.  Old/new Storm can only beat Old Wonder-woman.  (Post Silver Age Wonder-Woman would whoop Storm's aRse like cotton candy.  She can even trade with Superman, and have fought/beaten some of DC's most powerful super villians.)

4.  Superboy would so totally kick Spidey's aRse.  (Spidey might have super strength and then some, but it is nothing near Super.  Do not forget Superboy has super speed, heat vision, super hearing etc..  He is just SUPER whereas Spidey is but an insect.  Duh!  I LUV Spidey but this battle is a NO-Brainer.)

No sure what DC super heroes you are comparing with Marvel's lineup, but some of Marvel's super heroes/villains ARE cosmic/gods.  Examp:  Thor, Phoenix (esp. Dark Phoenix), Silver Surfer, Thanos, Captain Marvel (not Ms Marvel or Marvel Girl), Galactacus, Nova (the cosmic entity, not Nova of the Nova Corp, but even he's cosmic.), Adam Warlock, Terrax, the Collector, Cosmic Spidey, Gladiator (he's practically Marvel's Superman), Onslaught, even Juggernaut and Wolverine (he lives forever) etc. etc..

chidorix0x

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 05:48:39 PM »
*yawns*  For a person who is claiming familiarity, you don't seem familiar.  Is this going to be another one of your rants where you have no idea what you are talking about?  Read the title again before you start putting things in weird fonts and colors.  There was an actual crossover many years ago where DC characters went against Marvel.  Batman beat Captain America.  Robin beat Jubilee.  Storm beat Wonder Woman.  Spiderman beat Superboy.  Maybe you don't agree on the outcomes, but it happened.  I'm talking specifically about the comics, but if you want to talk about the battles for fun, that's another topic for another day. 

BTW, you should review your assessment of DC vs Marvel.   You're not setting up a fair comparison.

*YAWNS*  ...  Crossovers (as in any author's/writer's -- bias -- interpretation/reimagings; like Batman beating Superman:idiot2:), KEKEKE  ...   >:D  ...  that is arguably meant for unfamiliar, naive, and gullible kids (like you) to waste your $$$ on.  Dolt!  ...  kekeke  ...   8)

Easily, in another comic, *cough-cough*, Frank Miller's, for another comic (crossover), Glimp, sidekick of the Wonder-Twins  ...  kekeke,  would whoop Thanos, Silver Surfer, Onslaught, Galactacus, Dark Phoenix, Gladiator etc. (who are are god-like super heroes/villains) by simply throwing banana peels at their feet as they trip and it and crack their skulls wide open ( :idiot2:)  ...  KEKEKE  ...   ::)

Yes, u r CURL-rect and absolutely white, in your "crossovers" ( ::))  ...  kekeke  ...   :D

bulbasaur

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 06:44:03 PM »
What is wrong with you?  Reading comprehension.  Seriously.  You are all whiny about a comic book event that happened a really long time ago.  I am just talking about the event, and you are whining about the results.  It seems like you don't even know that this event even happened.   For example, Onslaught came out AFTER the crossover.  :idiot2:

If you want to argue DC vs. Marvel in general, then fine.  However, I have no interest in a discussion with someone who isn't familiar with the topic and is unwilling to learn about the topic.  Look at yourself now.  The topic is about childhood comic books, and you want to make this into a DC vs. Marvel discussion.   :idiot2:

*YAWNS*  ...  Crossovers (as in any author's/writer's -- bias -- interpretation/reimagings; like Batman beating Superman:idiot2:), KEKEKE  ...   >:D  ...  that is arguably meant for unfamiliar, naive, and gullible kids (like you) to waste your $$$ on.  Dolt!  ...  kekeke  ...   8)

Easily, in another comic, *cough-cough*, Frank Miller's, for another comic (crossover), Glimp, sidekick of the Wonder-Twins  ...  kekeke,  would whoop Thanos, Silver Surfer, Onslaught, Galactacus, Dark Phoenix, Gladiator etc. (who are are god-like super heroes/villains) by simply throwing banana peels at their feet as they trip and it and crack their skulls wide open ( :idiot2:)  ...  KEKEKE  ...   ::)

Yes, u r CURL-rect and absolutely white, in your "crossovers" ( ::))  ...  kekeke  ...   :D

chidorix0x

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 12:49:54 AM »
What is wrong with you?  Reading comprehension.  Seriously.  You are all whiny about a comic book event that happened a really long time ago.  I am just talking about the event, and you are whining about the results.  It seems like you don't even know that this event even happened.   For example, Onslaught came out AFTER the crossover.  :idiot2:

If you want to argue DC vs. Marvel in general, then fine.  However, I have no interest in a discussion with someone who isn't familiar with the topic and is unwilling to learn about the topic.  Look at yourself now.  The topic is about childhood comic books, and you want to make this into a DC vs. Marvel discussion.   :idiot2:

Yup!  Sum1 (aka "bulbasaur" to be exact) has a serious comprehension (whining delusional psychosis) mental malady all right  ...  KEKEKE  ...   >:D

See "HINT/QUOTE" below: ( :idiot2:  ...   ::)  ...   8))
DC vs. Marvel

This was always an ongoing debate among geeks (still is today).  Then one day, it happened.  Unfortunately, it was less than stellar, and the results were questionable.  For some of the fights, it was a vote.  So obviously, it was a popularity contest and not really a real battle.  They could have put Batman against Galactus, and Batman would have won

3.  Storm should have never beaten Wonder Woman

bulbasaur

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 10:12:01 AM »
You don't know what you are talking about.  Read the title of the thread, and read the posts.  They refer to a comic book series or a comic story line.  DC vs. Marvel was a comic book series published in 1996.  Some of the fights were determined by fan votes.  That is why Batman could have beaten Galactus.  Galactus would not have recieved more votes than Batman if they were put to a fight.  You would have known about the voting if you knew anything about what was being discussed.  Go educate yourself before whining. 

Yup!  Sum1 (aka "bulbasaur" to be exact) has a serious comprehension (whining delusional psychosis) mental malady all right  ...  KEKEKE  ...   >:D

See "HINT/QUOTE" below: ( :idiot2:  ...   ::)  ...   8))

chidorix0x

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 03:28:48 PM »
/\/\  ...  kekeke  ...   :2funny:

See "HINT/QUOTE" ( O0) citation for further "edumacation"  ...  KEKEKE  ...   >:D

bulbasaur

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 04:03:41 PM »
So sad.  You can't even own up to the fact that you made a mistake.  You always whine about education in several threads, but here you are needing an education.  The saddest part is that you could have easily just Googled it.   :2funny:

/\/\  ...  kekeke  ...   :2funny:

See "HINT/QUOTE" ( O0) citation for further "edumacation"  ...  KEKEKE  ...   >:D

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 08:57:14 AM »
I remember kabuki and gen13

Jim lee is also I think the best artist, I like his style better

My brother really got into collecting comics in the past, he bought some becuase they were first issue thinking they were going to be worth money later on, hence the kabuki and gen13, and also this other one where it was a black guy and he was part robot   I can't remember it now, but we had a lot of x-men comics

When I use to work st a grocery store I would read the wolverine comics and spiderman and whatever they had on the shelf

Supposedly wolverine died and met colossus in heaven...

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

bulbasaur

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 12:19:14 PM »
Age of Apocalypse

This is one of my favorite Apocalypse stories.  This is some warped It's a Wonderful Life story with Professor X not being around.  This story arc was so awesome, they are still sorta continuing it.  Check it out if you haven't. 

This was also during Joe Mad's run at X-Men. 

Advertisements