Advertisement

Author Topic: Comics That Changed My Childhood  (Read 11047 times)

chidorix0x

Re: Comics That Changed My Childhood
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 06:17:32 PM »
/\/\  ...  kekeke  ...   :2funny:

Alternate universe mumbo-jumbo (where Magneto is leader, married to Rogue blah-blah  --  don't remember all the details but they are fighting to change their reality and timeline, back to the present, kind of like the X-men movie: Days of Future Past)  ...  KEKEKE  ...   >:D

"Uncanny X-men" of the late 80s, to early 90s; where JLee and WPortacio were lead artists are by far the best run in mho -- storyline and artwork.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

bulbasaur

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 07:29:37 PM »
Annihilation

I was never really into Marvel's outer space stories, but this one was awesome. Marvel used to be pretty good back the 80's and before, but they slumped bit.  Annihilation was a good comeback.  People loved Guardians of the Galaxy, but they are tardy to the party. 

Maybe I'll make a post about some of my favorite Marvel space stories later.   

bulbasaur

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 08:04:46 AM »
The Ultraverse

In a time when DC and Marvel reigned supreme, Malibu Comics dared to challenge them with their own superhero universe, the Ultraverse.  It was okay.  There were some good characters and stories, but they simply weren't as good.  It was good enough to read, but not good enough to be your main read.  Mailbu really supported their universe though.  They had cards and even TV shows based on the characters. 

These are some of my personal ones...

Prime.  He was very Captain Marvel-Superman-ish.  This was always a fun argument of "who would win in a fight."

Night Man.  He was even cool enough to have a TV show for 2 years. 

Ultraforce.  Does anybody remember this show?  Based on the Ultraverse.

Exiles.  That's right.  That Marvel mutant comic had some of its roots in the Ultraverse.

Hardcase.  You know he met Loki and tried to get his hands on the Time Gem...that's one of the infinity gems for you non-nerds. 

Future Shock.  The end of the Ultraverse.  So sad. 

Godwheel.  When Marvel eventually bought the Ultraverse, this came about to combine the universes.  Too bad the Ultraverse is all but forgotten these days. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 06:29:04 PM »
Avengers Disassembled / House of M

Both of these were written by Bendis and his crew. 

Avengers needed a reboot at the time(who woulda thought that 10 years ago), and this was a good way to send them off. 

House of M was similar to the AoA event where the X-Books were replaced.  Personally, I like it when they do that as opposed to making a special mini-series.  HoM was almost Crisis-like.  It helped reset some weird plot-lines and gave some characters life again.  And by the end of it all, mutants really were a minority. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 07:09:51 PM »
Crisis on Infinite Earths

One of the best things about getting to know the owner of a comic shop is that you can read as many comics as you liked, especially the old ones.  Comics span decades, so if you only read what is published during "your time," then you miss a lot. 

As kids, my friends and I would read a ton of old comics.  The owner was a fan himself, so maybe he just wanted to share some of the fun too.  Or, maybe he just felt that there was no reason to just let the comics sit in a box.  In any case, it was all gold to us.  Most of the comics were actually pretty bad.  Bad art.  Silly stories.  Etc.  After a while, it became apparent that there was no consistency.  The biggest culprit of this was DC. 

In the old comics, Superman was infinitely powerful (still kinda is).  Super-intelligence.  Super-intuition.  Telepathy.  Hypnosis.  Super-Amnesia-kisses (actually used in the movies too).  At one point, Superman destroyed a universe with just a sneeze.  It was becoming painful to read. 

By the mid-80s, it was apparently becoming painful for DC too.  Enter Crisis on Infinite Earths.  This was DC's attempt to straighten everything out.  They killed off some characters.  They re-defined powers.  This was good and bad.  Some fan favorites were lost.  Some characters were sloppily written back in.  Later down the road, more continuity issues came up.  In any case, this is a nice read for the history books. Plus, it used one of the most iconic comic covers of all time: Superman hold Supergirl's dead body.  This would be used again.     

DC would continue to complicate their timeline again and again.  Another Earth.  Another timeline.  Another Crisis.  A New 52.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 07:12:29 PM by bulbasaur »

bulbasaur

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 07:36:49 AM »
Batman - Hush (608-619)

There are a ton of good Batman mysteries, and this one of them.

As always, I like it much better when these creators tell these stories in the actual series instead of specials, and this was awesome.  Loeb is one of the best writers in the industry, and Lee is one of the best artists.  Hush was a great run and a good mystery.  I'd love to talk about it, but it's best you go read it for yourself spoiler-free.  It's really a lot of fun to see Lee's take on familiar characters. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 07:43:45 AM »
Batman - The Long Halloween

This is what many hardcore Batman fans would point to as "must read." It takes places around Year One.  The mobsters and gangsters are still around with some villians.  Another good mystery involving "Holiday." 

Another Loeb story with Sale.  Sale's art fits Batman well since it's gloomy and dark.

bulbasaur

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2015, 08:42:04 PM »
Marvel Civil War

This story arc is so awesome that the MCU is doing it.  I suspect the MCU grabbed Spidey just for this story arc.  It would be a little weird doing Civil War without Spidey.  Then again, they are moving forth with Civil War without a lot of characters  Regardless of the MCU, whose side are you are?

bulbasaur

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2015, 03:55:40 AM »
Astro City - Volume 1

For a long time, I simply thought DC and Marvel had the best superheroes and universe.  Image came close, but they never quite linked up their heroes.  Malibu gave it a good go.  Vertigo was different.  Then came a small series by Busiek and Anderson, with beautiful covers by Ross. 

The stories were great, and the heroes had depth.  Every issue was a had a great story.  If I had to recommend one comic superhero series to read, this would be it.  I would elaborate on the stories, but it is best to just read it first.  Astro City is so awesome, it deserves its own thread. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 07:56:45 PM »
Death - The High Cost of Living
Death - The Time of Your Life

Neil Gaiman is now known for his novels and movies, but before he was known as a comic book writer.  One of his best creations were the Endless.  Death being one of the more interesting ones.

The books obviously had clever titles, and the stories matched. I group these together because I read them at the same time despite that they were published separately.  I was late to the Sandman party. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2015, 06:15:22 AM »
Divine Right: The Adventures of Max Faraday

This was a really fun book by Jim Lee.  Unfortunately, this was during the slump where Jim Lee (and some other Image folks) just couldn't get books out on time.  Throughout the book Max would make up Faraday's Laws for himself.  It's just amusing because there really is a Faraday's Law. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2015, 07:33:11 AM »
Daredevil: Fall From Grace

I wasn't much into Daredevil except for his crossovers.  This arc made me a fan.  It also turned him into a dark character, which was good and bad depending on how you looked at it.  When this arc came out, people missed the red outfit.  Now, I kinda miss the metal. 

Advertisements