Advertisement

Author Topic: A Degree Doesn't Make You Right  (Read 11102 times)

bulbasaur

A Degree Doesn't Make You Right
« on: May 06, 2015, 02:40:50 AM »
I wrote a similar experience once, but it got lost when PH went down.  Well, here's another one...

I was at a house dinner.  Like many family dinners, it was family style.  Big plate of food in the middle, and you just dig in.  Well, this was apparently not good enough for the doctor in the room and his family.  They made a snide remark about how lowly it was to have to eat this way.  They preferred each person to have food already individually plated.  They went on a small rant about how this was more high class and educated and blah blah blah.  I felt bad for the woman.  She actually went back to serve it the way they wanted!  WTF!  I don't usually like to talk about myself because whatever you say about yourself will just come off as bragging and arrogant.  In this case, I felt obligated to knock them down a bit, so I told them a story of my trip to India. 

I went to India to visit a friend.  He's a doctor, and his parents were doctors.  His dad was a small local mayor (he's not really a mayor, I made that up to add flavor to the story).  When they ate dinner, they had no utensils.  A big bowl of rice and chicken curry came out.  You were supposed to just eat with your hands.  Although it was different to me, I did it anyways.  To this day, it's the best Indian chicken curry I ever had.

I told her that  next time she can just serve it the way she wants it.  Food often tastes better that way. 

I don't get all these new school kids and their parents.  Even with all your fancy education and professional successes, chances are that you are still middle class...just like everybody else.  Maybe you're upper middle class now.  Maybe you are slightly above that.  However, all of that doesn't make you royalty. 

That being said, this may not have been the doctor's fault.  It might have just been his parents.  However, I am grouping them together because he let his parents belittle this poor woman.

Like this post: +1

Adverstisement

bulbasaur

Re: A Degree Doesn't Make You Right
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 03:06:28 AM »
When I tell these stories, some people react, "That doesn't sound like graduates I know."    It doesn't reflect everyone, but it does reflect some.  It happens all the time, but people simply don't notice.  People don't realize when they are being snobs.  Like Chris Rock says, "People with careers need to shut the fuk when they are around people with jobs."  People don't notice when an "educated" person says something wrong.  There was a doctor on the Amazing Race.  He was trying to boil an egg in a hot spring.  He said something like, "That water looks like it is boiling hotter than normal.  The egg should cook faster."    Actually, no.  Water will still boil at the same temperature.  If anything, it is lower because he had to ride up a mountain to get to the hot spring.  So unless that hot spring was not water, the boiling point shouldn't really be "hotter."  Of course, he failed on his first attempt.  The doctor made a simple science mistake on national TV, and no one noticed.  Not even the people I was watching the show with even noticed.  He is probably a really good doctor, but that doesn't make him an expert in all fields of study. 

Like this post: 0

Darksyde

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 09:17:34 AM »
I have been there and hate it.  Although, I am an educated Hmong person and am in the upper-middle class bracket, I absolutely hate those who use their acheivements to belittle others.  I grew up very poor and am very humbled to be where I am at today.  That man and his father are lucky I was not there that day to witness the incident because my response would not have been so nice.  I'm glad you told that story but I'm sure those two are too high on their chair to absorb any of it.  It's quite funny how "educated" people aren't so educated (or at least act like it).

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 09:43:09 AM »
It's not the degree.  It's just the man.  Maybe this man should have taken everyone to a fancy restaurant since he is a doctor and is rich.

Darksyde

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 01:13:38 PM »
It's not the degree.  It's just the man.  Maybe this man should have taken everyone to a fancy restaurant since he is a doctor and is rich.

I want to believe this to be true but sadly, I have bore witness to several occasions of this happening within the Hmong community to include my own family.  Amongst the elders within the community, education is correlated and equated with monetary wealth when in many times it is not.  Because of this ignorant mindset; most seem to think that if they do obtain their degrees, it makes them superior in some fashion or form. 

In my case; many of the Hmong people I went to college with are working your typical middle class jobs (low-paying white collar employment).  Some of them now have their masters and even doctorate degrees and you wouldn't believe how full of themselves they are.  And I make more than most of them but could care less about that fact.  Most Hmong people I know or have met, like to wear their social/economic status on their chest.  I'm just glad I'm not like them.  My father actually criticizes me on this quite a bit.  He likes to critique about how and why I don't dress and act like what I'm worth.  I always give him a smartass answer but truthfully; I would like to think that my character and actions speak about who I am; not the things I have and own.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 11:31:31 AM »
It's not the degree.  It's the person.  A good and thoughtful person with a degree is still thoughtful.  An unthoughtful person is unthoughtful regardless of degree but he can uses his degree to amplify his  unthoughtfulne ss.  Some people see degree as a way to be superior than others.  They are the unthoughtful ones. 

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 08:43:40 PM by duckwingduck »

bulbasaur

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 06:58:16 PM »
1.  83.4% of statatics are made up right on the spot.

2.  Even at 90%, that is 10% failure.  Is it really okay for a doctor to give the wrong medication to 1 out of 10 patients?  It's their field of specialty, and they are 10% wrong?  We're not talking about a physical performance, we're talking pure knowledge. 

3.   The thread is about how people feel about their degrees, not necessarily their knowledge in their field of study.  There are many people out there, especially Hmong people, who feel a doctor knows everything about everything.  They'll take that person's advice over someone else who might actually be more knowledgeable.  For another example...

Which fish tastes best?  River fish. lake fish, or ocean fish?  It's not really an important topic, but people were discussing it.  Obviously, people had different opinions.   

Lake fish tastes best because they get big. - Person 1.
Ocean fish tastes best because of the salt water. - Person 2
River fish tastes best because they swim more and get more exercise. -The doctor. 

Now, if you know anything about food, everyone is kinda wrong.  However, when the doctor made his assessment, he was praised for his genius.  WTF?  Maybe the doctor likes river fish, but his assessment isn't really correct.  How the fish is prepared is important.  Each person has different tastes.  How can you really compare fish n' chips with sushi?  They're both good in their own way.  Yet, when the doctor made his assessment on a topic not in his specialty, it becomes a universal fact.  The degree doesn't make you right. 

I have a ton of these stories.  Most of them are unimportant.  They don't really affect any big issues, but it's a small reflection of how some people think. 

A degree that correlates to one's field of specialty does make them more knowledgeable. ..90% of the times to be correct.  You can't apply common sense/courtesy to social status...in the example above, the so called doctors have their way of doing things and demanded as such....they lacked courtesy but not knowledge.
if you must teach them a lesson, serve them eggs and noodles cause that's what they ate while obtaining their degree.  common courtesy!    O0 ;D ;D

FetishDream

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 07:05:33 PM »
When I have a medical problem, I seek my family member who are in the medical fields.  Who here goes to a canvass artist and ask if they can paint your house for you?

When I was in MN and with my uncle and his family, I talked with articles I have read and he's an older guy, in his late 80's and he be saying..."says the doctor"...

well that ended it for me.  I never wanted to talk medical findings from what I read with him.  He ruined it for me but he is right.  I do not have a medical degree so talking about medical stuff like I have a book load of medical journal handy is fruitless.  However, if people wants to talk without having to put our credibility on the line, I'm down for it. 

My degree of specific fields of studying does not make me right.  The only thing that is right about it is that there are other people in the same fields who can disagrees with me better.   O0

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
Old Hmong people do not usually listen to educated people.  They prefer gossips and words of stranger to even their highly educated children. 

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 10:43:39 PM »
+1 to that..

They trust the word of a stranger that some foreign medicine works better because so and so says so.  Even though they have no clue what it is. Anything that is not ointment.  I tend to tell my parents. Don't touch that! if i can't read it or do research on it.  You're not eating it.  Unless it comes from our very close relatives. Strangers, random church people. No.

I know the feeling.  My father won't listen his children even they form the most concerned group of educated people.  He even has a son in law with phd in pharmacology.  He rather buys his drugs and herbs from Hmong from the open market.  Sure he's proud to show off his kids but won't listen to them.  It's as if their education never really benefit him. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 10:55:29 PM »
When it comes to medicine, maybe he likes  traditional Chinese medicine.  Nothing wrong with that (although some of the practices seem harmful).  A lot of western doctors don't seem to support TCM, but there are some positive things about TCM.  As long as he is not rejecting something like a surgery that he needs to save his life, then it's fine.  TCM can be a good complement. 

I know the feeling.  My father won't listen his children even they form the most concerned group of educated people.  He even has a son in law with phd in pharmacology.  He rather buys his drugs and herbs from Hmong from the open market.  Sure he's proud to show off his kids but won't listen to them.  It's as if their education never really benefit him.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 11:38:50 PM »
Want to hear of a Foreign Medicine that works?  Worked better than anything we have today?

I read it on cnn.com  Pretty cool stuff.

This was way before modern medicine.

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2015/04/07/anglo-saxon-mrsa/

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 09:19:12 AM »
Except that if the woman has the means to plate the food individually then she could. I'm not saying she should, it's just a suggestion. At the end of the day, as an American she is entitled to do what she wants. Of course, being a good host also means pleasing your guests. Your example of the family in India is an entirely different reality. I won't even expand on that unless you prompt me to.

Anyhoo, sounds like you were just being your usual d.ick self. You title this "it doesn't matter the degree" and that's why you don't like to talk about yourself, but the fact that you DO insert your two cents every chance you get is proof enough that you glorify yourself in a way that is more cleverly disguised. For someone who says "the degree doesn't matter" you sure like to "school" those so-called pea-brain, uneducated Christians. If they're uneducated and that's all they know, then who are you to come down on them with your academic opinions and facts? Whatever happened to the humbled scholar who respects the attitudes of those less educated? 

bulbasaur

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 11:21:13 AM »
 :idiot2:

Except that if the woman has the means to plate the food individually then she could. I'm not saying she should, it's just a suggestion. At the end of the day, as an American she is entitled to do what she wants. Of course, being a good host also means pleasing your guests. Your example of the family in India is an entirely different reality. I won't even expand on that unless you prompt me to.

Anyhoo, sounds like you were just being your usual d.ick self. You title this "it doesn't matter the degree" and that's why you don't like to talk about yourself, but the fact that you DO insert your two cents every chance you get is proof enough that you glorify yourself in a way that is more cleverly disguised. For someone who says "the degree doesn't matter" you sure like to "school" those so-called pea-brain, uneducated Christians. If they're uneducated and that's all they know, then who are you to come down on them with your academic opinions and facts? Whatever happened to the humbled scholar who respects the attitudes of those less educated?

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 05:40:14 PM »
I thought I posted in this post already!

I did..

So nobody cares about the MRSA stuff?   OH wells...

In any case...

I was thinking... maybe people like to have more faith in what a doctor or a graduate says becuase they feel those folks are better at evaulating situations... right?

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Advertisements