Advertisement

Author Topic: Toyota now claims Koua Fong Lee can't sue because he's not a citizen  (Read 6640 times)

fOrEvEr_sUn_76

The long struggle case lawsuit battle between the Lee family and Toyota regarding the 2010 car crash that took away the lives of 3 people and sent one man to prison had now take a new twist. Toyota has now claim that Koua Fong Lee and the Lee family had no rights to sue them in federal court to begin with cause the family was not US citizens at the time of the accident. Bob Hilliard, attorney for the driver, Koua Fong Lee said "It's amazingly ironic that a Japanese car company comes into the American Court system, and after losing a $11.4 million verdict where the jury determined its 1996 Toyota Camry was dangerous and defective, decides to challenge the right of a US citizen to a have his day in court. After 5 long years of litigation, a month long trial, and no real chance of winning on appeal, Toyota plays the 'race card'—this is as desperate as it is despicable. No different than when Japanese Americans were sent to internment camps."

Though Koua Fong Lee was not a US citizen at the time of the accident, an accident that a Minnesota jury recently determined was mostly caused by a defective 1996 Toyota Camry. After being released early in 2012, he immediately became a US Citizen. Something he was aiming to accomplished before this whole tragic mess occurred. It's a shame Toyota would go this far to take away any sort of justice from this family.

For the full article, go here:

http://hmongjournal.com/details?id=1234574226

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:33:18 AM by fOrEvEr_sUn_76 »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Sifu

Stuff happens but laws are laws.

minorcharacter

Another example of big corporations using their money to do judo flips around laws.  And no, the law isn't the law.  It's only the law when money can't bend it.  Regardless of whether Lee was innocent or not Toyota disgusts me.  I can only imagine how many lives they've ruined with their carelessness and how they've tried to bury it under all that money.  Excuse me, I'm going to go and yell at my corolla.   ;D

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
I don't know if Toyota is safe to drive? But I have a 09 Corolla...The dealership sent me a letter that they want to buy my car back but what would they offer me?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:48:52 PM by Risingstars »

"Noj zaub yuav rau roj, ua neeg nyob yuav tsum ua siab loj"

Sifu

A newer Toyota.  You're back to square one.

Like this post: +1

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
A newer Toyota.  You're back to square one.
Darn it. If you were me what should I do?

LION HEART

I don't know if Toyota is safe to drive? But I have a 09 Corolla...The dealership sent me a letter that they want to buy my car back but what would they offer me?

They'll off you a BYD S7.

Girl not included.

Like this post: +1

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
They'll off you a BYD S7.

Girl not included.

Nice, I don't really care too much about the girl but the car is pretty good to me.

But I wouldn't mind this one....

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Sounds like Toyota is well-aware that it may no longer be viewed in the greatest image lately. So, hasn't it sent out small checks to every Toyota buyer just recently? I got $29.23. Cashing it today.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Xeemxai

A non citizen should think about buying another type of vehicle instead  and return their vehicle immediately. 

Offline Mengo

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Re: Toyota now claims Koua Fong Lee can't sue because he's not a citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 07:37:36 AM »
I will be protesting, returning in my newly bought toyota!

So were you able to return your toyota?

Offline Drift1Leeg

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 11:30:07 AM »
It's time to do a major campaign to bring down Toyota if they are willing to play a race issue in America

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 03:21:20 PM »
Sounds like Toyota is well-aware that it may no longer be viewed in the greatest image lately. So, hasn't it sent out small checks to every Toyota buyer just recently? I got $29.23. Cashing it today.

If it recall your job to get it done at the dealership but if it's regarding getting a little something from a lawsuit or payout...shoul dn't one filed a claimed so they get a portion of it?  If they just sending the check for everyone then I'm sure I should be getting 3 paycheck since I have 3 Toyota.  I never filed to be part of their claim. 

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
It's time to do a major campaign to bring down Toyota if they are willing to play a race issue in America

For not being a U.S. citizen.,,then we need to stop all those Hmong Laus from cashing out a Toyota Tundra or the family van Sienna. 

Buttercup

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 08:10:10 PM »
That's so ridiculous, what are they going to do?  Sue them from Laos.  I'm sure Koua Fong Lee would like his payment in Kips.  How about he sue Toyota from Hmong country with Hmong money?  :2funny:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 08:12:35 PM by Buttercup »

Advertisements