Advertisement

Author Topic: Anime That You Didn't Watch (maybe)  (Read 4911 times)

bulbasaur

Anime That You Didn't Watch (maybe)
« on: May 27, 2015, 07:47:29 AM »
There are a tons of anime out there.  Unless you are a hardcore fan, you may not have seen all of the them.  Here is my ongoing list of series that not many people talk about.  Let's start this with....

Cromartie High School

I knew nothing of before watching.  I was expecting the typical bada$$ characters and plot.  What I got was a  hilarious comedy.  The theme song is really catchy too.  The show is unpopular to the point that it is not even banned on YouTube.  So if you missed it, here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSgMr1vss1M

The Japanese dubbed is better, but oh well.  He's still one tough bunny. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

bulbasaur

Re: Anime That You Didn't Watch (maybe)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 08:10:21 AM »
Gunbuster

I really enjoyed this as a kid.  I haven't watched it recently, so I don't know if it still holds up.  In any case, I still have fond memories of it.  Plus, the main protagonists are female.  Don't see that everyday.  In one of the interludes, there is a really catchy short duet.  I am not sure if it made to the YouTube cut.  This series is an older one.  You can actually watch the entire series on YouTube.  I guess no one cares about it anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VrDl1RRoaw

BTW, if you make it all the way to the end, there is a small joke that you might miss if you don't know Japanese.  I didn't notice as a kid, but I noticed years later after I have studied some Japanese.     

bulbasaur

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 07:38:29 AM »
Guyver

A kid who inherits a suit that makes him a super powered?  Plus, he has a cute girlfriend and the coolest best friend?  Who wouldn't love this?

I haven't watched this since I was a kid.  It might not hold up today.  But, I have good memories of it. 

Another series that you can watch on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCyyoTLYMA

Sifu

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 03:20:14 PM »
Cromartie was wacky.  It was funny but it wasn't something I could sit and watch in one sitting.  Just too far out there but the characters were macabre.

Gunbuster (uncut) is a classic.  Reminds me a lot like Ender's Game.  Do not get the US release.  They hacked it and the spin off Killbuster (or something) was disappointing.

My choice is
The Tatami Galaxy
It's about a college grad looking for love but can't find it, even when it's dangling right before him.  Artwork is different, characters are memorable and each episode is well written in scope of the entire series.  Lastly if you really want to practice your Japanese then this series will test your reading, hearing and comprehension skills.  Crack speed dialogue.

Some other notable entries are Bubblegum Crisis (strong female roles in hardsuits) and Gunsmith Cats (women into guns, bombs, cars and they're bounty hunters) along with Riding Bean.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 03:29:36 PM by Sifu »

Advertisements