Advertisement

Author Topic: Operation Popcorn Documentary Film  (Read 8832 times)

hmoobhlubhmoob

Operation Popcorn Documentary Film
« on: May 28, 2015, 03:52:52 PM »
Location: Fresno Tower District Theatre (www.towertheatrefresno.org)
815 E. Olive Ave
Fresno, CA 93728
When: June 13th, 2015
Time:  1st Showing @ 11:00 A.M   
          2nd Showing @ 6:00 P.M
Admission:  $12 per ticket

https://www.facebook.com/OperationPopcornDocumentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f5gHOKJePg

We all wondered what really happen?, what's the motives?, What's the truth about the case?, After 8 years since the arrest of General Vang Pao and 11 other defendants, a film base on the actual case has produced, with all evidences gathered from the Federal Governments (ATF, FBI, Homeland Security) along with wire tapping and under-cover surveillance videos, it will answer all your questions. 

By: Daniel Getahun

An intriguing but uneven documentary about betrayal and justice, Operation Popcorn too often resembles its title. New plot lines pop up every few minutes, and repetitive bits of hidden camera footage and wiretapped phone conversations keep you munching along but ultimately never feeling full. Director David Grabias is certainly working with interesting material: a group of Hmong-Americans, the trauma of the Vietnam War still fresh in their minds, begin to consider an armed return to Laos some 40 years after they fled as refugees. Among the alleged plotters are polarizing Hmong-American activist Locha Thao and venerated war hero General Vang Pao. When mysterious American partners approach them with weapons and advice on potentially overthrowing the communist Lao government, the Hmong leaders are left wondering whether everything is on the up and up. Operation Popcorn recalls a remarkable true story that flew mostly under the news radar only a few years ago, but it's presented like an episode of "Dateline NBC", long on court evidence and short on deeper analysis. Most compelling are the interviews with Hmong-Americans about how they see themselves as citizens of a country that abandoned them, and Operation Popcorn is arguably worth seeing for these insights alone.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 05:13:33 PM by hmoobhlubhmoob »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline GhostRider

• Jr. Poster
  • GhostRider: 5'11", 185 lbs, Straight
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Popcorn Documentary Film
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 10:18:10 PM »
This will be informative and I for one would like to know all the details, but first thing that came to mind is why must we pay for it?  It should be free for all, especially Hmong people.  Now I understand that it took money to put it together, but sounded like this is another attempt to make money with GVP's name.

I'm Ghost Rider! Come Ride With Me..!

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 10:33:20 PM »
You guys know that there is a lawsuit against the government now on this, right? The plaintiffs--those captured with VP and still alive--are suing on behalf of the rest for wrongful arrest.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

chidorix0x

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 01:10:52 AM »
My main interest is who the "ATF" agent is, who is still unknown (to me despite all the news press, legal proceedings, media coverage etc.) that infiltrated and setup the arrest to begin with -- despite allegations of fear of reprisal by the Hmong community.  And just as important, why the US government (CIA, FBI, Secretary of State etc.) either idly stood by or allowed this to happen at all, either knowing full well (Hmong's and GVP's history with Laos), or were they really in on the whole entrapment con/scam to make an example of a little barely unknown and arguably insignificant ethnic minority in/of the USA to the rest of America/ns; aka Cuban, Middle Eastern, Soviet, Chinese etc. extremists ...   ???  ...   >:(

For that bit of info, I'd gladly pay $12.  Beats paying the $10+ at the movie theaters nowadays for crap like Taken 1-3, Expendables 1-3, and yeah even the Star Wars prequel  ...  kekeke  ...   ::)

chidorix0x

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 01:14:47 AM »
You guys know that there is a lawsuit against the government now on this, right? The plaintiffs--those captured with VP and still alive--are suing on behalf of the rest for wrongful arrest.

...  kekeke  ...   :2funny:

No one (can sue) the US-government and (ever) walk away a/the winner.  Haven't touched a law book in over 30-decades but I am pretty sure about that per my limited educational law recollections  ...  KEKEKE  ...   >:D

(Yeah, yeah ... whatever any of you HA'Mung   ...  kekeke  ...   ::) )

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 01:17:06 AM »
Let's not forget that the CIA workers who were involved with the covert operations in Laos have come of age and that the law enforcement employees who did the arrest were the younger generations. They aren't that well-read. I wouldn't expect them to know the Hmong too well. And it turned out they didn't.

My main interest is who the "ATF" agent is, who is still unknown (to me despite all the news press, legal proceedings, media coverage etc.) that infiltrated and setup the arrest to begin with -- despite allegations of fear of reprisal by the Hmong community.  And just as important, why the US government (CIA, FBI, Secretary of State etc.) either idly stood by or allowed this to happen at all, either knowing full well (Hmong's and GVP's history with Laos), or were they really in on the whole entrapment con/scam to make an example of a little barely unknown and arguably insignificant ethnic minority in/of the USA to the rest of America/ns; aka Cuban, Middle Eastern, Soviet, Chinese etc. extremists ...   ???  ...   >:(

For that bit of info, I'd gladly pay $12.  Beats paying the $10+ at the movie theaters nowadays for crap like Taken 1-3, Expendables 1-3, and yeah even the Star Wars prequel  ...  kekeke  ...   ::)

"...

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 02:16:55 AM »

Hmmm, something is wrong as I don't see any "HA'MUNG" in this post... ???

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 02:21:04 AM »
I don't think you are on point in your response.

Let's not forget that the CIA workers who were involved with the covert operations in Laos have come of age and that the law enforcement employees who did the arrest were the younger generations. They aren't that well-read. I wouldn't expect them to know the Hmong too well. And it turned out they didn't.

"...

chidorix0x

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 03:48:25 AM »
Hmmm, something is wrong as I don't see any "HA'MUNG" in this post... ???

... kekeke ...  :2funny:

Says a/the HA'MUNG ... KEKEKE ...   >:D

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 06:25:46 AM »
Hmm...have some relatives who were involved in this whole thingamathing.  I wonder if they were interviewed.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 09:27:38 AM »
we all know they want to cease paying GVP for his services so they have to set him up.  however, Gvp and his coop deserves what they get for falling into such trap.

Oh look out, here comes a GVP super fan, Mr. "KEKEKE" to dispute your statement... ???

chidorix0x

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 06:22:05 PM »
we all know they want to cease paying GVP for his services so they have to set him up.  however, Gvp and his coop deserves what they get for falling into such trap.

Exactly under what conditions,  or faults/terms, did they exactly deserve what they got, for being falsely arrested and imprisoned ( :idiot2:)?

Oh yeah, "All u ha'clueless HA'Mung r jus ha ' oblivious to reality, facts, and the ha'LAWS ... KEKEKE ...  >:D"

chidorix0x

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 06:24:37 PM »
Oh look out, here comes a GVP super fan, Mr. "KEKEKE" to dispute your statement... ???

Says yet again a/the ha'primitive HA'MUNG  ( :idiot2:) ... KEKEKE ...  >:D

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 07:19:16 PM »

Exactly under what conditions,  or faults/terms, did they exactly deserve what they got, for being falsely arrested and imprisoned ( :idiot2:)?

Oh yeah, "All u ha'clueless HA'Mung r jus ha ' oblivious to reality, facts, and the ha'LAWS ... KEKEKE ...  >:D"

What I tell you Tai Lau?  ;D ;D ;D

If GVP requested a BJ from a Hmong man, I'm sure HA'RUAM (GVP's super fan) would be the first in line to get on his 'presidential knee pads' and give it all he's got... ;D

I wasn't kidding, when I posted a photo of HA'RUAM's booth at this past Fresno Hmong New Year celebration, every penny counts even after GVP passed  ;D ;) O0:

chidorix0x

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 07:26:23 PM »
/\/\  ... kekeke ...   :2funny:

Yet again,  says a/the ha'primitive ha'ignorant HA'MUNG ( :idiot2:) ... KEKEKE ...  >:D

Advertisements