Advertisement

Author Topic: The Camera History  (Read 13195 times)

bulbasaur

The Camera History
« on: May 30, 2015, 12:34:18 AM »
I was at an event, and this older guy pulls out a video camera, and his wife pulls out a digital camera.  Usually, this is nothing special.  However, the video camera was HUGE!  It looked like it was running a full size VHS tape.  The woman's digital camera was about the size of a tablet with a 2 inch LCD.  They were older, so maybe they weren't aware of newer stuff.  Or, maybe they are just satisfied with what they got.  This got me thinking about the history of the cameras I owned.  Here is an ongoing list of the cameras I have owned (excluding phones/tablets)...

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

bulbasaur

Re: The Camera History
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 12:44:52 AM »
1.  Polaroid One Step

For as long as I remember, my parents were really into photography.  It seemed to be their way of keeping the memories.  They had a camera of their own, but I was never allowed to touch it.  So when my 5th grade teacher brought in a camera to be given as a prize, I knew I just had to win it. 

My 5th grade teacher actually brought in several prizes on the first day of school.  She added prizes throughout the year.  To get a prize, you had to buy it in an auction at the end of the year using the class money she handed out as reward.  Needless to say, I tried my best to earn as much as I could. 

On the day of the auction, I raised the prices of other items so my classmates would spend their money.  When the camera came up, it was easily mine.  This would be my first camera and the start of my life in photography.

The camera itself was a lot of fun.  The fact that it was instant made it special.  The downside was that the film was expensive and hard to find.  Plus, you couldn't take a lot of shots unless you also carried a lot of refills.   Regardless of its shortcomings, I loved this camera.  The camera currently sits in my old bedroom in my parents' house.  My mom put it in a plastic bag so it wouldn't get dusty.  It probably still works. 

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:23:25 AM by bulbasaur »

bulbasaur

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 01:16:52 AM »
2.  Canon EOS 650

Remember that camera my parents never let me touch as a kid?  Well, they eventually let me inherit it.  This is the camera I used to learn about cameras and photography.  Anyone still remember how to use film?  Film seems like a lost art these days.

Because of this camera, I have had a decent loyalty to Canon ever since. 

The camera eventually broke, and the cost of fixing it wasn't worth it.  It was thrown away.  Looking back, I should have kept it for my collection.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:26:33 AM by bulbasaur »

bulbasaur

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 02:37:25 AM »
3. Canon Elph

Even though I really enjoyed photography, I didn't enjoy lugging around the big camera.  I also didn't like the lack of features of a cheap disposal one.  I decided to get a point and shoot. 

In the early days of point and shoot, a person had to choose between APS or digital.  Digital quality wasn't as good as APS.  However, digital gave a ton of conveniences (conveniences that we take for granted today).  I ultimately decided on APS and chose the 1st generation Canon Elph (it might have been 2nd).  I loved the style of this camera.  It would influence another purchase many years later. 

The only thing I disliked about this camera was that it wasn't digital.  I didn't have this camera long before everything went digital.  The camera was eventually sold on eBay. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 02:45:20 AM »
Disposable Cameras

These don't really count as cameras I owned because they were meant to be thrown away, but I feel I should mention them because of the history I have with them.  Kodak and Fuji were the main sellers.  I bought these on random occasions, such as fishing trips, hikes, road trips, picnics, etc.  I pretty much bought these when I felt like taking a picture but didn't think to bring  camera beforehand.  Also, at one point, these cameras were popular to use at weddings.  One of these cameras would be put at each table for people to use. 

I can't remember the actual models or designs of the ones I used, but here are some sample pics...

bulbasaur

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 05:03:00 AM »
4. Canon SD100

I finally got tired of APS, and digital photography seemed to be good enough for point and shoot now.  So what do I get?  Canon SD100.  It was at a whopping 3.2 megapixels!  I had so much fun with this little camera.  Selfies and random pictures are all the norm now, but I was doing those things way before with this little toy. 

Unfortunately, I eventually found myself not using this camera as much.  As a result, I sold it on eBay.  Another camera that I would miss. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 09:02:41 AM »
5. Fujifilm FinePix A203

After I sold my Canon SD100, I later began to want a small camera again.  However, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on one.  Around the same time, a friend was starting his own eBay store, and he had some cameras.  He said he'd sell me one with no profit if I found one I like.  He had some nice cameras that were well below retail, but still above what I wanted to pay.  I was about to give up when he grabbed a FujiFilm FinePix A203.  He said that it didn't sell for the price he wanted, so if i wanted for cheaper I could have it.  He was selling it for cheap, and I wanted one, so I took it. 

I didn't expect much from it, especially at just 2MP.  However, I ended up really liking this camera.  People would give me funny looks when I pulled out this camera, but it took really good pictures.  The colors were quite good.  In comparison to my old SD100, the A203 pictures looked more natural.  Plus, the A203 ran on AA batteries.  I was always really bad at charging, so having AA batteries were useful.  And because the camera was cheap and made of hard plastic, I didn't feel worried about during harsher weather and activities. 

The biggest downside of the camera is that it uses xD card memory.  Anyone remember the memory card wars?  I guess they are still sorta going on today. 

The camera currently sits in my parents' home beside the volleyball trophies. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 07:22:34 PM »
6. Sony H1

This would be my second Sony digital camera experience, but my first Sony purchase.  I felt I wanted something more than just point-n-shoot, but I didn't want to invest in a SLR either.  I decided to go the Mega Zoom route.  I only paid $75 for this camera from my same eBay buddy.  I really liked the camera.  It ran on regular AA batteries, but it used Sony memory which is a negative.  The pictures were okay for the time I bought it, but it doesn't hold that well anymore. 

The camera is currently in my office, but it doesn't power on.  I've been meaning to get it fixed, but it just doesn't seem worth it anymore. 

Missterious

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 09:56:42 AM »
Yea tell me about it. I've been out of the loop and need a new camera. So confusing out there with all the selections and new stuff.

bulbasaur

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 10:23:53 AM »
What do you have and what are you looking for? 

Yea tell me about it. I've been out of the loop and need a new camera. So confusing out there with all the selections and new stuff.

bulbasaur

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 10:33:54 AM »
7. Canon SD1000

After using the Sony H1 for a while, I once again wanted a pocket camera (Have you noticed a trend of me wanting and not wanting a pocket camera?).  I really had some good times with my little cameras in the past, so I wanted something similar.  As it turned out, Canon updated their line with the SD1000.  It had the same look as the original Elph, and it has the same design as the SD100.  It was exactly what I wanted. 

I still currently use the camera.  I have tried to retire it a few times, but circumstances keep bringing me back to it.  It is not a rugged camera, but I abuse it quite a bit.  The camera is old now, but I still like it.  Maybe I will try to retire it again soon.  We'll see...

Missterious

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 10:50:36 AM »
What do you have and what are you looking for?

Right now only have a Canon point and shoot that I don't even use. I use my iphone for photos most of the time now. But we've been wanting a dslr to take high quality family pictures. Went browsing online. Stick to Canon because hubby says so. So decided maybe the T5i or 60D. Don't need anything too fancy but not too low end either. Then I keep browsing and there's mirrorless cameras now? I don't even know what that is but its supposed to take as good a photo as the typical dslrs but smaller and more compact. So then I lean towards the Panasonic G7 with 4k video. I mean I'm just confusing myself by doing all this research.

bulbasaur

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 11:04:14 AM »
I have the 60D!  I'll post about that later.   :D

People tend to stick to certain brands when it comes to cameras.  If you are going to jump ship, Nikon has apparently surpassed Canon in quality. 

And yes, phones are overtaking point-n-shoots.  My little cameras are just for trips now. 

Isn't the 60D an older camera now?  I've had mine for quite a while now.  In any case, get what feels good.  Unless you are a professional, the photos will probably come out pretty good.  I like the 60D over the T5i, but that is just me.  Personally, I say get the cheaper body and spend a bit more on the lens.  Better lens = better photos. 

Right now only have a Canon point and shoot that I don't even use. I use my iphone for photos most of the time now. But we've been wanting a dslr to take high quality family pictures. Went browsing online. Stick to Canon because hubby says so. So decided maybe the T5i or 60D. Don't need anything too fancy but not too low end either. Then I keep browsing and there's mirrorless cameras now? I don't even know what that is but its supposed to take as good a photo as the typical dslrs but smaller and more compact. So then I lean towards the Panasonic G7 with 4k video. I mean I'm just confusing myself by doing all this research.

Missterious

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 11:21:43 AM »
Yes I was watching reviews and kit lens were eh. But dang good lens cost a ton.

Missterious

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
I just came across the Canon g7x. A vlogging point and shoot with excellent image quality; nearly as good as dslr. Cost is up to $700. I really want to try it out. But for $700 (maybe add a couple hundreds) I can get a decent dslr or micro 4/3 already. The debate is going on in my head.

Advertisements