Advertisement

Author Topic: Bibles  (Read 9161 times)

zena

Bibles
« on: June 01, 2015, 08:40:01 PM »
How many bibles do you own and which one do you like best?

I am looking for a new bible and just want some ideas.  I have one in mind already but would like to know what's popular out there.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

zena

Re: Bibles
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 11:06:14 AM »
Is there such a thing as a Hmong bible?  I think I remember my parents had one.  I'll have to ask them.

...depressing story.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 03:27:16 PM by moonangel »

chidorix0x

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 01:05:39 AM »
...  kekeke  ...   :2funny:

Arguably one of the best/fav Ha'Bible is the "ha'Sesame ha'Street" version/iteration (Big Bird as ha'Jesus, Oscar as ha'Lucifer, and Ernie and Bert as ha'disciples etc.)  ...  KEKEKE  ...   >:D

No!  I ha'don't ha'own a Ha'Bible amicably.  Have no need for all of its ha'hypocrisy  ...  kekeke  ...   ::)

Yes!  I am ha'quite ha'familiar with all of the popular Ha'Bible stories/lore/verses having gone to Ha'Bible (Old and New Testatment of the Baptist sect/cult/denomination) school during my youth  ...  KEKEKE  ...   O0

8v01un30sun,
True (regarding Ha'Mung Ha'Bible vocabs).  I read a verse/line/publication taken from a research book (referencing HA'Mung Ha'Bible) and apparently the word/phrase "ee kawm xim ...   ???" (don't recall exactly; though can always look it up in my book again) means/refers to "an angel/angels"  ...   :2funny:

I even asked both my parents of/about this HA'Mung/Hmong word/phrase afterwards, and they looked at me "puzzled/confused".  But that's what the words/phrase is and says, and is translated aZZ (no joke; I can even CITE the source if all ya HA'Mung want  ...  KEKEKE  ...    8)  ...   ::)

Some of the HA'Mung Ha'Bible words/names/vocabs ARE OBVIOUSLY all made up by the Working/Live-In Missionaries of/at the time among the HA'Mung/Hmong.  Examp:  Yexus(Jesus), Maus-Xim(Moses), Lus(Luke), Ntsau-Xawm(Joseph), and some I've never heard of or can even pronounce at a glance etc. etc. etc.;  clearly/definitely without a doubt ARE NOT/AM NOT of Hmong authencity/origin, and are made-up/fabricated words/vocabs which to most/ALL Hmong -- NOT the Ha'Bible HA'Mung whore-shippers -- would not have a clue what it is etc.  ...  KEKEKE  ...   >:D.

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 12:26:57 PM »
How many bibles do you own and which one do you like best?

I am looking for a new bible and just want some ideas.  I have one in mind already but would like to know what's popular out there.

This is kind of difficult to answer because no translation is perfect, so I often find myself going back and forth between the King James and the NIV in my bible studying time. Both are done from the originals. Most modern translation goes back to the original Greek language. However, I would advise to stay way from the Revised Standard because the translator of the RS were committed to stay as close as to the King James. So it's not a pure translation from the Greek. I'm sure you are aware of this fact.

Which one do I like best? King James! King James was put together by a man named Eramus and was done using the Textus Receptus Greek text. The NIV was put together by current scholars who used the Novum Testamentum Graece text. But most Christians would probably tell you that the NIV is more accurate because it is based on more earlier texts. When Eramas put the KJ together he only have a dozen of text to work with in the 15th century. Ever since then more and more manuscript has been discovered and this is where the NIV comes in. But some of the text has been omitted and left out in the NIV, whereas it is in the King James and were taught. I would still stick to the King James though. Earlier doesn't not mean better.   :)

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 12:32:23 PM »
...  kekeke  ...   :2funny:

Arguably one of the best/fav Ha'Bible is the "ha'Sesame ha'Street" version/iteration (Big Bird as ha'Jesus, Oscar as ha'Lucifer, and Ernie and Bert as ha'disciples etc.)  ...  KEKEKE  ...   >:D

No!  I ha'don't ha'own a Ha'Bible amicably.  Have no need for all of its ha'hypocrisy  ...  kekeke  ...   ::)

Yes!  I am ha'quite ha'familiar with all of the popular Ha'Bible stories/lore/verses having gone to Ha'Bible (Old and New Testatment of the Baptist sect/cult/denomination) school during my youth  ...  KEKEKE  ...   O0

8v01un30sun,
True (regarding Ha'Mung Ha'Bible vocabs).  I read a verse/line/publication taken from a research book (referencing HA'Mung Ha'Bible) and apparently the word/phrase "ee kawm xim ...   ???" (don't recall exactly; though can always look it up in my book again) means/refers to "an angel/angels"  ...   :2funny:

I even asked both my parents of/about this HA'Mung/Hmong word/phrase afterwards, and they looked at me "puzzled/confused".  But that's what the words/phrase is and says, and is translated aZZ (no joke; I can even CITE the source if all ya HA'Mung want  ...  KEKEKE  ...    8)  ...   ::)

Some of the HA'Mung Ha'Bible words/names/vocabs ARE OBVIOUSLY all made up by the Working/Live-In Missionaries of/at the time among the HA'Mung/Hmong.  Examp:  Yexus(Jesus), Maus-Xim(Moses), Lus(Luke), Ntsau-Xawm(Joseph), and some I've never heard of or can even pronounce at a glance etc. etc. etc.;  clearly/definitely without a doubt ARE NOT/AM NOT of Hmong authencity/origin, and are made-up/fabricated words/vocabs which to most/ALL Hmong -- NOT the Ha'Bible HA'Mung whore-shippers -- would not have a clue what it is etc.  ...  KEKEKE  ...   >:D.

There's nothing wrong with this. We know who is meant regardless of spelling. What is done here is they're just trying to get as close as to the name as possible.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +456
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 12:18:17 AM »
chido,

:idiot2:

Boy, you have outdone yourself this time!  :2funny: I would think that if you were going to point out inaccurate translations in the Hmong Bible, you wouldn't use people's names.  :idiot2: :2funny:

Tus niag "tsiv-taum" no yog quav dev xwb os! He isn't even bright enough to conclude that those are just "Ha-mungnized" ways of pronouncing the names and aren't meant to be "translations". Even the Japanese have a whole set of alphabets to write foreign words for such purposes. Those Japanese!  ::)

bulbasaur

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 04:20:44 AM »
If you just want to read, then it doesn't really matter which version.  The NIV might be easier to read though.  That being said, not all versions are "acceptable" to everyone.  For example, the wording in KJV and the NIV can carry a slightly different interpretation .  Also, some verses are simply non-existent in the other. 

It should also be noted that the NIV was revised as recently as 2011.

There are also children Bibles.  These might be good for those not wanting to get too deep into the theology. 

There are also many "study Bibles" out there.  You may find these useful if you want to get into the theology, history, etc. 

And of course, there are books that challenge the Bible.  You can Amazon those if that is your interest.   

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 04:33:13 AM by bulbasaur »

zena

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 12:25:50 PM »
Get NIV or NKJ.  Both are acceptable.  There are Hmong Bibles.  Check out CMA.  They did their best with translation... as you know Hmong have limited vocabulary and our grammar system is simplified and very contextual with social norm.

I have an iPhone app for free so I have all of them :)  It's FREE.

Thanks, I've read some review on NIV and NKJ.  I'm kinda eying NAB/NABRE.  As for the Hmong bible, I was just curious.  Good you have the bible on your phone.  Don't know if I'd ever go that far.

So that's how you see the bible.  Interesting.

If you just want to read, then it doesn't really matter which version.  The NIV might be easier to read though.  That being said, not all versions are "acceptable" to everyone.  For example, the wording in KJV and the NIV can carry a slightly different interpretation .  Also, some verses are simply non-existent in the other. 

It should also be noted that the NIV was revised as recently as 2011.

There are also children Bibles.  These might be good for those not wanting to get too deep into the theology. 

There are also many "study Bibles" out there.  You may find these useful if you want to get into the theology, history, etc. 

And of course, there are books that challenge the Bible.  You can Amazon those if that is your interest.   

I don't plan to read through.  Just need a new one and was curious as to what others used.  I know about the differences in the bibles, etc.

Online Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +377
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 04:50:04 PM »
Sometime the KJV is too hard for me to read because of the sentence structure and definition of the word in between each passage. So I had to switch newer bible as NLT. Both are the same thing but NLT helps me translate the whole scripture a lot better in plain English.

There's no need for you to hide. I already saw you.

zena

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 03:04:10 PM »
The iPhone app has audio of the bibles.

That's nice.  Some of those words can be difficult to pronounce and/or translate.

Sometime the KJV is too hard for me to read because of the sentence structure and definition of the word in between each passage. So I had to switch newer bible as NLT. Both are the same thing but NLT helps me translate the whole scripture a lot better in plain English.

O0

Renaissance

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 01:36:36 PM »
Go to the Hmong District of the C & MA for ordering a Hmong Bible.  The current Hmong Bible is undergoing review and editing.  It should be done and going to print some time end of this year or earlier part of next year.

zena

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 10:50:41 PM »
The King James Version. It's more accurate...

Go to the Hmong District of the C & MA for ordering a Hmong Bible.  The current Hmong Bible is undergoing review and editing.  It should be done and going to print some time end of this year or earlier part of next year.

Thanks!

NeejYagHawj

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 04:09:57 PM »
Here is a challenge for all of you....

instead of getting the latest copy or the best copy...why not get the "oldest" you could find and read it.  it might shed some light on understanding and accepting the words of the book.  based on person experience, new ones are too "new."  words are changed, rephrased, and more....it may be beautiful words, but as i kept on saying, beutiful words are misleading.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 04:51:55 PM »
Any version to understand the fundamentals but always cross reference with those who are able to read Greek and Hebrew for a better understanding.  Translation kills the passion of the message. There is a big difference between the serpent seduced or tempted eve. 

Like this post: +1
X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

NeejYagHawj

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 04:55:24 PM »
excellent point duma

Advertisements