« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2015, 07:25:41 PM »
NeejYagHawj = chidorix0x  ;D ;D ;D

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

zena

Re: Bibles
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 04:03:31 PM »
Update.

I ended up getting a NIV bible.  I also have the DRB (Douay Rheims Bible) on my phone.  I find the NIV easier to understand. 

For instance in Luke 6:39-40

NIV: He also told them this parable: Can the blind lead the blind?  Will they not both fall into a pit?  The student is not above the teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like their teacher.

DRB: And he spoke also to them a similitude: Can the blind lead the blind? do they not both fall into the ditch?  The disciple is not above his master: but every one shall be perfect, if he be as his master.

I've compared the ones I use to the ones at church, which we have like 3 or 4 different types/versions, and they are all different, yet translate to the same meanings.  I can easily see how people can interpret them differently based on their life experiences though.  It's very interesting.

zena

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 04:25:15 PM »
Bit late.  But yes.  There are Hmong translated bibles. My brother has one.

Can you take a photo from your bro's Hmong bible of the scripture above and post it?  I want to see the Hmong translation.  Maybe have him take a photo and send it to you.

FetishDream

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 05:13:13 PM »
Be careful with the NIV.  Text are being skewed on purpose so that it will not offend other people, denomination and what not.  Take for instance the famous John 3:16

John 3:16New International Version (NIV) 16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:16American Standard Version (ASV) 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.

So asked yourself, what is the difference between the word begotten Son and his one and only son.   O0

Like this post: +1

FetishDream

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 05:17:48 PM »
In 2012, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops "announced a plan to revise the New Testament of the New American Bible Revised Edition so a single version can be used for individual prayer, catechesis and liturgy" in the United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Bible

This is what the mother ship uses.  Anybody wants to butcher that bible version to death?  Be my guest.   :2funny:

Like this post: +1

zena

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 08:42:46 PM »
Be careful with the NIV.  Text are being skewed on purpose so that it will not offend other people, denomination and what not.  Take for instance the famous John 3:16

John 3:16New International Version (NIV) 16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:16American Standard Version (ASV) 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.

So asked yourself, what is the difference between the word begotten Son and his one and only son.   O0

I love my NIV.  I like all the bibles actually.  If I could have one version of each, I'd be in heaven...haha. 

As for the scripture, begotten in this context means one and only, which is the same thing.

Try not to focus on how you think everyone is reading the bible incorrectly and focus on how the bible can help you be a better person.  :)

Why not use the NKJ?

'Cause I haven't found a good one.  I'm also looking into a good NABRE and/or ESV for journaling.  I think NIV has a really nice one that just came out that I'm considering as well even though I already have one but I'd like another one for journaling.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:51:40 PM by moonangel »

zena

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 08:44:13 PM »
In 2012, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops "announced a plan to revise the New Testament of the New American Bible Revised Edition so a single version can be used for individual prayer, catechesis and liturgy" in the United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Bible

This is what the mother ship uses.  Anybody wants to butcher that bible version to death?  Be my guest.   :2funny:

Totally okay with whatever they choose.

zena

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +456
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 10:13:00 PM »
moonangel,

Are you Catholic? The Catholic Youth Bible is pretty easy to understand. It also includes extra study notes and examples that are relevant to modern times.

zena

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 06:24:43 PM »
moonangel,

Are you Catholic? The Catholic Youth Bible is pretty easy to understand. It also includes extra study notes and examples that are relevant to modern times.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

zena

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 02:52:38 PM »
Maybe this is just for my own FYI...so that when I do purchase another bible I'll remember that:

1.  The NIV and NASB are protestant based bibles and are missing 7 books from the NABRE.
2.  KJV comes closest to the NABRE in scriptures but KJV is still short 7 books.
3.  For journaling, choose KJV or ESV if possible, otherwise go with NIV (they have single column text and lightly lined margins for journaling).
4.  ESV has interleaved bibles.  Definitely planning on one of these for full page journaling.
5.  KJV has best creative and beautiful designs.  Definitely need one for visual inspiration.
6.  For serious bible reading, the Catholic DRB.

I wish NABRE would have journaling bibles.  I've looked everywhere and they don't exist.

* Journaling refers to art journaling.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2016, 04:27:24 PM »
I don't read bible but I like to scroll through the Mormon and JW one.  Mormon can't stand understand anything. It I like that they have little number 1-2-3 and then in the bottom of the page break it to easy understanding of the phrase/sentence. 

I like the KJV much better because I grew up reading more from it beside the Hmong CMA bible.  Someone gave me a N?.. Version that was good too.  I don't like to keep bible but we do have Mormon and JW over once in a while but I'm never there for the session. 

zena

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2016, 10:21:27 AM »
I don't read bible but I like to scroll through the Mormon and JW one.  Mormon can't stand understand anything. It I like that they have little number 1-2-3 and then in the bottom of the page break it to easy understanding of the phrase/sentence. 

I like the KJV much better because I grew up reading more from it beside the Hmong CMA bible.  Someone gave me a N?.. Version that was good too.  I don't like to keep bible but we do have Mormon and JW over once in a while but I'm never there for the session.

Cool. I'd like to get my hands on a Mormon and JW bible.

zena

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2016, 10:45:45 AM »
KJV is the original and it is the best book to its quality of originality.

I'm glad you like the KJV.  Why do you think it is the best book?  Did you know that the first translator of the KJV was a Roman Catholic priest?

zena

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2016, 03:27:24 PM »
Duh! Catholicism came first before Protestants.

I'm a Protestant and an Arminianist. I don't follow Calvinism.

O0

Advertisements