Advertisement

Author Topic: Michelin Tire......  (Read 3139 times)

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
Michelin Tire......
« on: June 04, 2015, 11:51:07 AM »
They pissed me off as being a good company or top tire brand.  My Highlander I went ahead to get new tires because of vacation and road trip next week.  My oem has 47k which can probably put in another 3-5k but decide no matter what new tires are needed.  Beside if I don't do it now I won't have money later.  I had 1k left from my 3k budget that didn't go as planned for what I was going to do. 

I search online everywhere for Michelin latitude tour but keep getting that the size for my car is going to have owl and not blackball.  The shop told me they can turn the owl side inside. 

At the end I went with Goodyear assurance fuel max with price match from tire rack.  In CA it wasn't necessary for Goodyear triple trend or Michelin latitude tour hp.  I didn't get the fuel max thinking I'm going to save fuel on my car.  I got it for the look/design.  Actually the Michelin tire look ugly and small letter but I was going for it because of top reviews and a better choice. 

The tire date made was end of the year in 2013 with one date in the middle of 2014. 

With our other cars we just went with the cheapest brand as long as its all season tire and they performed and lasted well.  I guess personally it how you take care of your car, watch out for the road, etc.  I can tell my Corolla S with almost 240k drive smoother and better than my Highlander with cheap radical m+s tire.  I was never aware of m+s the first time because I always purchased what I like within a budget my husband give me.....  I told my husband it should be you with a little tire knowledge but I end up reading reviews, searching and understanding tire. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

jetter

Re: Michelin Tire......
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 12:09:21 PM »
dang your oem was at 47k, I didn't switch out my oem until I hit 80k or so.  Make sure you check the thread depth on your tires before getting new ones.  I do rotations every 2nd oil change; roughly 8k.  Anyways I never buy Michelin b/c from my experience they are over price and suck.  I get hydroplane here and there during heavy rains with the oem Michelin that comes with most honda's and toyotas.  Even the new oem michelin sucks; even louder in some vehicles.  I rather opt for other brands like Bridgeston or Continental; drives better and quieter than Michelin or Yokohama.  That's just from my experience.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 12:12:34 PM »
Smooth riding doesn't necessarily have to do with tire quality.  The S stands for snow.  Generally it is a softer tire compound, hence the smoother ride.  They don't do well for emergency handling.

Tires do go out of sizes as time goes on.  Never take the mileage to literal sense of tire life.  Cuz when it really is zero your tires would basically have no thread left.

I know a lot of cheap tires can have more mileage than the more expensive tires.  However don't expect them to be stable if a tire should blow out on the highway.  That's the difference in why sometimes expensive tires are expensive.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 12:16:08 PM »
dang your oem was at 47k, I didn't switch out my oem until I hit 80k or so.  Make sure you check the thread depth on your tires before getting new ones.  I do rotations every 2nd oil change; roughly 8k.  Anyways I never buy Michelin b/c from my experience they are over price and suck.  I get hydroplane here and there during heavy rains with the oem Michelin that comes with most honda's and toyotas.  Even the new oem michelin sucks; even louder in some vehicles.  I rather opt for other brands like Bridgeston or Continental; drives better and quieter than Michelin or Yokohama.  That's just from my experience.
Oh you didn't just dissed my Michelin tires... :2funny:

OEM tires are cheapo.  You didn't hear that from me.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 12:54:49 PM »
I just depends on the tire you buy I guess.

I bought some high performance tires once based on the reviews and... well... it sucked.

Then I had to turn around and buy new high performance tires, and they were just ok.

Now that I have another set of high performance tires, well they are pretty good.  But wear out a lot quicker.

I have some "new" tires on this "new" car I have and... well I think they suck, they are tough and noisy.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 01:16:35 PM »
I just depends on the tire you buy I guess.

I bought some high performance tires once based on the reviews and... well... it sucked.

Then I had to turn around and buy new high performance tires, and they were just ok.

Now that I have another set of high performance tires, well they are pretty good.  But wear out a lot quicker.

I have some "new" tires on this "new" car I have and... well I think they suck, they are tough and noisy.

Just exactly which high performance tires did you end up with.

I drive a 94 celica GT.  I've had some Michelin pilot sport mx4 or something, all season, goes through snow at 65 mph when 4x4 vehicles crawled at 45 mph.  My 4x4 truck could never do that unless I got those exact sports tires.

Had some Goodyear eagle F1 tires...zipped through 4 leaf clover at screeching 70+ mph no drifting.  You drift you die.  I almost blacked out from the g forces.  Also took many 20 mph corner at 120+ mph... You drift you die. 

Those were amazing tires.... I wouldn't believe it on paper but I lived through my young years in those.

Had some underperformin g tires too.  Goodyear gt, gt II, HP,   lots of Bridgestone all season junk.  Works great off road, that I give them credit.  Michelin not so good off road. 

Envy2

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 03:03:45 PM »
Just exactly which high performance tires did you end up with.

I drive a 94 celica GT.  I've had some Michelin pilot sport mx4 or something, all season, goes through snow at 65 mph when 4x4 vehicles crawled at 45 mph.  My 4x4 truck could never do that unless I got those exact sports tires.

Had some Goodyear eagle F1 tires...zipped through 4 leaf clover at screeching 70+ mph no drifting.  You drift you die.  I almost blacked out from the g forces.  Also took many 20 mph corner at 120+ mph... You drift you die. 

Those were amazing tires.... I wouldn't believe it on paper but I lived through my young years in those.

Had some underperformin g tires too.  Goodyear gt, gt II, HP,   lots of Bridgestone all season junk.  Works great off road, that I give them credit.  Michelin not so good off road.

Taking a 20 mph corner at 120 mph...Nice Story Takumi from Project D.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 03:38:16 PM »
Taking a 20 mph corner at 120 mph...Nice Story Takumi from Project D.
The sign says 20 mph... :2funny:  so its true.

LOL just a story.  If it was really true, I'll be breaking the law...and I always drive the speed limit.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 04:15:22 PM by VillainousHero »

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 05:46:50 PM »
I haven't tried the supersport yet.

They are my next choice as I will be getting them for my balled out tires.

The last Perfromance tires I had was some kind of nitto's, I forget. 

Before that was kumho's, i forget what the full name was but that thing hydroplanes.

And the one before that was Falken's, i'm not sure what model, I just remember seeing it on forums and car shops and so I got some, I was dissappointed.

But the one's I have right now, I can tell they are better becuase now I know how you can tell if you got grippy tires, it's when you drive out on a warm/hot day and you hear gravel kicking up on your car, that means they are gripping and sticking everything on the road and actually picking up the gravel up from the road.   I can't recall what they are though as I don't have the car with me right now.  They are Dunlops Direzza's something.

The one on the civic si are... Hiffy HF805?  I never heard of them, but those things ride harsh and stiff and came with the car.

I'm slowly making my rounds with affordable summer/sport tires.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

FetishDream

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 05:57:01 PM »
I bought some but only if I can padded with rebates on top of their deals.  Like buy 3 and get the 4th free plus rebates.

take that saving for the alignment.   I drive about 40K a year on the average.  I'm at around the 130K ODO on a 3 years old car.  My previous one I put 60K miles a year and no one believes me.  Taking a brand new car and turning it old fast is how I do it.

Hitokiri

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 08:00:12 PM »
I personally believe that brands like Goodyear and Michelin are overpriced. For me what I look at is what the tire is used for(snow, all season, summer), what the thread ratings is (I usually get 300 or over), and what others have said about the tire.

My favorite type of tires so far are General Tires. They're cheaper but not too cheap. I had them as summer tires for my Focus and loved them. I now use their winter tires on my Escape and I love them again. The quality is very good, they last a long time, and are less expensive then others. Win, win, and win.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 06:11:11 PM »

My oem bridgestone are only 60k.  I put 47k in 5 yrs but could have put in another 3-5k but both of us are not handy when it come to car.  We only know how to buy brand new car and drive it and keep up with regular maintenance as oil, rotation, etc.  I choose to get new tires because its summer and my kids will be spending it with my parents and it mean a lot of driving back and forth along with going to other vacation planned through out the summer.  The important thing is that I don't want to waste 1k from the leftover here and there and get nothing out of it so I told my husband let just get new tires now.

Driving it for 2 weeks with the new tires......... there is noise but don't know what it is as I'm clueless about it.  I forget to have my dad check it out but maybe this weekend in Fresno when my parents come up for a party.  If something is weird then 4th of July weekend going to an event so back at my parents in southern CA and will get fixed.  I find myself poking out the little rock from the thread. 

Next time I'll stick with other tires and not top brand.  So far having cars we have not deal with anything such as flat tire, pop tire, etc.  My husband always said it just depend on how a person drive the car, take care of it, etc. any tire will do fine. 

I might be driving this car less once my husband buy me a new van because I'm just waiting for 2016 models to be out. 

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 04:22:20 PM »
IF you want quite tires, you have to buy quite tires...  if you want performance tires you have to buy perofmance tires... if you want tires that ride good in the rain you buy rain tires...etc etc etc..

Top brands are good, you're probably just buying the wrong tires for your needs.

If I was you I'd just google "quiet" tires.  and then read the reviews and buy what fits your needs.

Simple as that.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 04:26:40 PM »

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 06:30:23 PM »

If I was you I'd just google "quiet" tires.  and then read the reviews and buy what fits your needs.

Simple as that.

Gotta love "google" and it's "simple" way of retrieving info in no time.  O0

Advertisements