Advertisement

Author Topic: Clearing bird nests or backlashes on baitcasting reels.  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Clearing bird nests or backlashes on baitcasting reels.
« on: June 07, 2015, 06:23:13 PM »
I'm new to baitcasting. I love its lack of bulkiness and its target-accuracy casting. (Looks like it demands great judgment on when to press that thumb over the line at the reel.)  But I have no good control over backlashes. 

Finally found these two videos that seem to be the solutions: apply pressure over the line on the reel, spin the reel forward, and then pull the line in casting.

That loosens the nest and frees up the line again.

Has this been true of your experiences and knowledge?  Add if you have other ideas.

Video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5kwR5zjc

Video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0meQkt1cee4

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 06:32:26 PM by Reporter »

Like this post: 0
"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Adverstisement

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
Re: Clearing bird nests or backlashes on baitcasting reels.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 08:58:58 PM »
Preventing backlash, no need to time your thumb on the spool....A lot of it comes from.

Not overfilling the spool...it will vary from reel to reel as well as type of line used.  But you should leave 1/8 to 1/4 inch from spool lip.

Properly setting up the spool tension.  You want the spool to stop when your lure hits water.  Or touches the ground if you are inside your house doing the precheck before fishing.  I like to setup against a 3/8 oz. weight.

Brake setting, it just depends on lure type or windy conditions.  It works in conjunction with the spool tension.  It can be set up where there would be no need to even thumb the spool.

Even making sure your levelwind line guide is centered before casting is a huge deal.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 01:44:50 AM »
That's what I want to learn. I can't thumb the line soon enough to stop it from collecting.

So, how? Will it work if I just loosen the line until the spool tightens or something like that?

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 11:31:22 AM »
That's what I want to learn. I can't thumb the line soon enough to stop it from collecting.

So, how? Will it work if I just loosen the line until the spool tightens or something like that?
You want to tighten the spool tension knob setting so it prevents backlash as soon as you cast and at the moment your lure enters the water.  With that in mind it allows you to take you thumb off the spool at the moment when you cast and if you are slow to thumb down on the spool it won't backlash.  You probably don't need to thumb down on the spool.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Advertisements