Advertisement

Author Topic: Maplewood Funeral Home Shut Down; Accused of Storing Decomposing Bodies  (Read 7140 times)

Siabdub

A Maplewood funeral home is shut down, accused of improperly leaving bodies in different states of decomposition.

That's what the Minnesota State Health Department says forced it to close the doors to the Maple Oaks Funeral Home. It was first cited last month for missing records, and with the latest issue, it's been out of business for the last several weeks after the state filed a cease and desist order.

In May, the state conducted a random inspection at the Maple Oaks Funeral Home off Stillwater Road. During the search, the state found unsanitary conditions and decomposing bodies in the embalming room, according to the department. As a result, the owners can't transport or prepare bodies and conduct funerals.

But the lawyer for Maple Oaks, who saw the bodies himself, says this is a misunderstandi ng. 

"What was seen was the natural process of dehydration in the extremities, the fingers and the toes," Michael Sharkey said.

Sharkey, who is a former funeral director and practices mortuary law, says the deceased were all members of the Hmong community.

The Hmong mourning period can be much longer than traditional standards and can even last weeks. Additionally, it's common for Hmong families to only allow one deceased body at the funeral home at a time.

Sharkey says what happened here is that Maple Oaks was assisting other Hmong funeral directors by holding bodies at their facility. Sharkey says these two owners were simply trying to help out, and the health department is way off on its findings.

"A situation like this has absolutely destroyed all that goodwill that these two gentlemen have put into their community over more than 40 years as ethical, professional funeral directors," Sharkey said.

The health department declined our request for an interview, but both sides are in hearings. Sharkey says they have a meeting with the state health department "very soon" to possibly allow extra oversight of the funeral home.

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S3827582.shtml?cat=1

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Giggles_Shyly

Oh wow, interesting, I will read the article during lunch. I didn't know that was going on :o

Giggles_Shyly

This is where cultures clash and misunderstandi ngs occur.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Additionally, it's common for Hmong families to only allow one deceased body at the funeral home at a time.

WTF, if true, these gullible Hmong better move forward from this practice...

hmong people needs to do their funeral services as soon as possible.

Agree, this ain't the old world anymore...

LION HEART

LMFAO the original posting was meant to confuse you all.

Maple Oaks is not the funeral home Hmong people use.  The once Metro Funeral Home is now renamed LEGACY FUNERAL HOME as owners changed several years ago.

The funeral home mentioned in the article is not the Hmong one.

chidorix0x

Maple Oaks is not the funeral home Hmong people use.  The once Metro Funeral Home is now renamed LEGACY FUNERAL HOME as owners changed several years ago.

...  kekeke  ...   :2funny:

So typical of ha'primitive ha'ignorant HA'Mung ( :idiot2:) to ha'accuse and ha'rant ha'idiotically (reverse discrimination) before reviewing/knowing ALL relevant/pertinent ha'FACTS  ...  KEKEKE  ...   >:D

WTF, it is true, these ha'primitive ha'ignorant HA'Mung better move forward from this ha'cluelessness  ... ( ...  kekeke  ...   ::))

Agreed, this ha'ain't the ha'nutz ha'world of HA'Mungness ever  ...  ( ... KEKEKE  ...   8))

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
the funeral director is certainly not at fault due to the hmong's awaited time to get into a funeral home.  The 4 funeral places are booked into next month and the decease has been dead a month ago.  It unfortunate for the state to have cited them.  hmong people needs to do their funeral services as soon as possible.

When they want to only do it Friday-Monday then it delayed the time waiting period 2-3 weeks.  It will caused such problem and at least the lawyer understand our customs. 

I don't want a hmong funeral at all.  I've been thinking for a long time and from observing there is nothing special about a 3 day funeral that is all planned and lead by your clan.  One of these day I'm going to sit down with my husband and tell him if he love me he will honor what I wish and want when my day come...... 

Giggles_Shyly

I like my body to be burnt to ashes when i pass. It should be so since space will eventually run out and it saves money.

LION HEART

No funeral for me.  I'm getting into the cryo-tank, getting frozen in suspended animation, and then re-thawed in the future.

Giggles_Shyly

Reminds me of Futurama LOL!

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
The State is doing a good job.

These things need to be monitored closely.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
In some cities, the Hmong are banned from using just any funeral home so they must wait for the ones designated to them. I know of someone who wasn't even planning to hold a traditional Hmong funeral for her husband. She wanted to do it the typical American way where viewing would only be for 3 hours and food would be catered in. However, everywhere she called as soon as she gave them her last name they declined to accept her.

In these cities, it has become a really big legal battle between the Hmong and funeral parlor owners.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile

Sounds like those who jumped the gun with criticism do not live in the area.

shina

This is why so many Hmong are dying with cancer.  They are exposed to decomposing bodies every weekend.

chidorix0x

This is why so many Hmong are dying with cancer.  They are exposed to decomposing bodies every weekend.

...  :2funny:  ...   :idiot2:  ...   ::)  ...  :idiot2:  ...  :2funny:

Advertisements