Advertisement

Author Topic: Teaching Reading: Phonics vs. Sight  (Read 3576 times)

bulbasaur

Teaching Reading: Phonics vs. Sight
« on: June 19, 2015, 08:22:49 PM »
Apparently, this is a debate.  Personally, I think it is a little bit of both, and I have used both to teach a few kids how to read. 

Some kids have a natural affinity for one skill over the other, but both skills are important.  There is no point in slowly trying to sound out words like "the," which doesn't even follow phonic rules.  At the same time, there are way too many words in the English language to simply memorize at an early stage. 

The debate might stem from the fact that we as adults don't really use phonics anymore when we read.  Adults have been exposed to enough reading where they don't need to read every word.  In fact, a lot of people fill in the gaps.  For example, read the following passage once and count the number of F's.

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RESULT OF YEARS
OF SCIENTIFIC STUDY COMBINED WITH THE
EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

The answer.....

6.  Most adults won't catch all 6 on the first reading.  Strangely enough, kids might.  Or maybe, they'll catch more.   

There is no need to teach one method over another.  Kids are amazing learners.  They can handle both. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching Reading: Phonics vs. Sight
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 12:40:42 AM »
I guess. I'm not evolve enough to read and fill in gaps. I still read every word.

Like this post: 0

Advertisements