Advertisement

Author Topic: Active Directory and Database  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
Active Directory and Database
« on: July 05, 2015, 05:01:10 PM »
So I'm working and I have been thinking. My boss says we don't upgrade to new software unless we are making money off the upgrade.  So what about security patches and database access? Wouldn't you always want to stay up-to-date with database security patches? Would it be considered stealing if you bring a flash drive and copy the data encryption software they have? Not saying I'm stealing cause we use flash drives to transfer data from laptop to laptop instead of searching through shared documents on the network drive.

Like this post: 0
"Noj zaub yuav rau roj, ua neeg nyob yuav tsum ua siab loj"

Adverstisement

Homer_Simpson

Re: Active Directory and Database
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 12:33:02 AM »
He's right to a certain point. You don't want to upgrade needlessly until you have to. Example is a new feature improves business productivity or the software developer no longer supports your current platform (like Windows XP is no longer supported by MS). When a software company no longer supports your current platform, new found vulnerabilitie s may go unpatched and may compromise your system or data, resulting in a cost that is higher than upgrading to begin with. In that case, it makes sense to upgrade.

Copying any licensed software is stealing. If you want encryption software, there's plenty of freebies or opensource software out there that would do pretty much the same. I use VeraCrypt for creating encrypted volumes, etc. It works great.

tsabsuav

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 05:02:26 PM »
Same here, we don't upgrade unless there are security bugs in the current version that need to be patched or unless you have maintenance contract for free upgrade.  If you are in IT and want to copy software, no one can stop you, but yourself.  I can't stand colleagues who takes advantage of their power.  I have a co-worker who likes to review payroll reports just to see how much other people are making.  We can do pretty much anything here, but gotta be honest here you know.

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 05:09:38 PM »
Same here, we don't upgrade unless there are security bugs in the current version that need to be patched or unless you have maintenance contract for free upgrade.  If you are in IT and want to "copy software, no one can stop you, but yourself.  I can't stand colleagues who takes advantage of their power.  I have a co-worker who likes to review payroll reports just to see how much other people are making.  We can do pretty much anything here, but gotta be honest here you know.

When it comes to honesty I want to be true at what I'm doing. And thats a pretty dishonest co-worker of yours. So much security breaches right there. But yeah i have a lot of power because I'm corporate but i don't want to get fired for stealing a software thats a no brainer.

tsabsuav

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 04:56:41 PM »
i have a lot of power because I'm corporate but i don't want to get fired for stealing a software thats a no brainer.

So what software do you get to play with?  Anything interesting?

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 05:36:17 PM »
So what software do you get to play with?  Anything interesting?

they have me imagining ssd, replace hd to ssd, swapping phones to i3, some tickets here and there, configure the i3 phones to work, and any thing else they want me to do.

tsabsuav

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 07:15:11 PM »
Sounds like you get to play with the fun stuffs. What do you guys use to clone hard drives?

Advertisements