Advertisement

Author Topic: The Death of Flash...  (Read 6153 times)

bulbasaur

The Death of Flash...
« on: July 14, 2015, 07:21:35 AM »
...is apparently coming.  Steve Jobs was right after all.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

zena

Re: The Death of Flash...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 10:53:01 PM »
Yep.  I'm seeing less of Flash these days.  It was one of the software back in the days I knew somewhat about.  Now I know nada.

bulbasaur

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 08:23:52 AM »
It's more than just owning the ecosystem.   

Apple only has about 15% of the PC market.  That is still respectable because it puts them around 3rd, but almost all the other vendors are shipping Windows.  Thus, simply owning the ecosystem isn't enough when Apple only owns 15% of the market. 

The same thing goes for smartphones.  Apple owns about 20%, which is very respectable.  That is good enough for a solid 2nd, and 3rd is a battle for 5%.  However again, Apple is going against all other vendors who mostly support Android. 

In the end, Apple simply owning and closing their ecosystem won't kill anything because they don't own the majority of the market.  What is really going to kill Flash is when Mozilla and Google stop supporting Flash.  Chrome and Firefox own about 60% (if not more) of users.  And why would they stop supporting Flash?  Security and performance.  Jobs said it years ago, and apparently he was right. 

It's easy to be right when you own the majority of the ecosystem and you hate them.  What that amounted to is Steve Job was right about he's going to own Adobe ass.

N`Chync

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 01:32:22 PM »
Flash is old technology anyways. And with new hardware and more platforms it was bound to happen. Android fanboys use to use Flash as part of their arguments. Now new Android phones aren't compatible with flash. Flash was horrible on smartphones anyways. Video and sound had syncing issues. And on desktops I hating seeing the crash popup when I was watching something lol. I still have flash on the ROM I'm using on my HTC One. Can't even tell if it ever works.

bulbasaur

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 12:16:25 AM »
Again, not really.  Apple only has about 20% smartphones, and about 35% tablets (that's being generous).  Apple had to compete with all the other brands which support Flash.  Apple wasn't going to "own Adobe's ass" simply because Apple didn't support them.  Jobs claimed Flash was dated, inefficient, and insecure.  Jobs was predicting that it was all just a matter of time before everyone else realized this, too.  He was right because other companies are now starting to drop Flash.  Apple simply owning the ecosystem wouldn't kill Flash because Apple simply didn't (and still don't) have the market share. 

I'm speaking from a tablet and smartphone because Steve Job was referring to how terrible Flash ran on his operating system.

bulbasaur

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 12:26:24 AM »
And for my home, it's 100% Apple for smartphones and tablets.   Unfortunately, my household is not the only one buying phones and tablets.   :idiot2:

US Market is 40% smartphone and 60% tablet.  That's quite a dominating position.  The stats you put are if you include China...we know China would always try to marginalize American company as they have with Amazon and Google.

bulbasaur

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 12:54:12 AM »
Like all threads, you r so scared of admitting being wrong that you just ignore all logic. 

1.  Apple owning their ecosystem did not kill flash.

2.  America is not the only phone market.  U were too dense to understand that your logic makes no sense.

Thank you for proving my point that Steve Jobs is right because he dominates your house...now 40% of smartphone in the US belongs to Jobs and 60% of tablets belong to Jobs.  :)  He's really killing flash one person at a time.   ;)

bulbasaur

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 03:54:21 AM »
Well, you are ignorant to the fact that not just Americans buy phones and tablets.   :idiot2:

I rather be dense than ignorant.  You think this game is a technology play?  LOL...  This is a business play because Job denied them access to his ecosystem...th is eco system is 40% of the US smartphone market and 60% of the tablet US market.  Both businesses operate their core business (highest revenue) in the USA.  Nobody is going to say Im dying because the emerging market is not growing...you die when your core business fails.

I hate to say this but you don't have the business experience to even make the proper assessments.  Try harder and get the proper education and experience.

bulbasaur

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 09:45:17 AM »
Flash is dead, but not really?  How different (or similar) is Adobe Animate?  I've never used it.  Has anyone out there used it? 

On a side note, after re-reading this thread, it reminds me how absurd some people are.  They simply don't make any sense. 

Sifu

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 01:52:05 PM »
http://gizmodo.com/rest-in-hell-java-plug-in-1755631692
Flash is still alive but woot there's a little victory in the works.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 12:02:46 AM »
Dead, really? It's hard to believe that when you visit every web site with videos, flash are used on them.

bulbasaur

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 02:27:53 PM »
Yes.  It is happening.  For mobile, it only accounts for less than 10%.  Maybe closer to just 5%.  HTML5 seems to be the replacement.  H.264 is currently the most popular video codec.  Even WebM is growing.  Flash is decreasing. 

A lot of big companies still support Flash.  I get the feeling that they want to move away from Flash, but it might be hard.  Maybe Flash can continue to live on for a few years through them.

All of that being said, Flash may forever have a presence on internet.  Legacy devices and legacy sites.  There is simply too much content based on Flash.  Even if people converted it all, the original format will be kept somewhere.  Plus, fans of Flash will continue to mess with it.  If there are people out there willing to play with Windows 3.1, there will probably be people out there willing to play with Flash.

Dead, really? It's hard to believe that when you visit every web site with videos, flash are used on them.

nooneever

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 10:12:45 AM »
It's going to stay around as legacy code for the next few decades.  I worked at a company that did a lot of custom printing using software they built with Flash.  Spent way too much on it to just toss it aside especially if it's still working.  Building or buying new software can get really expensive.  I doubt this company is hardly unique in that aspect.

Advertisements