Advertisement

Author Topic: The Start of Something New  (Read 19740 times)

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +158
    • View Profile
Re: The Start of Something New
« Reply #210 on: August 22, 2017, 05:55:13 AM »
Congrats anonymouse! Keep it up. O0

Like this post: 0
Our journey has just begun. Ai sunya nong tha lod si vit.

My heart is in your hand. Huk nong soot houa jai.

Adverstisement

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +239
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 22, 2017, 07:23:38 PM »

Day 9.  It got so much harder to drink today. I could not taste the lemon. all I taste was the nasty cayenne pepper.

My pants which was tight a few weeks ago (I had to suck in my stomach whenever I put it on). I needed a belt. it was slightly loose.  So that's something.

Will switch to a no rice, little red meat diet next week.

Try to change the things you cannot accept.

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 02, 2017, 05:56:29 PM »
Bye Martha,

Not goodbye as we will see eachother again. but bye and good luck at your new job. You'll do great.  you are by far, the best supervisor I've ever had. A great friend, a great supervisor, and a great social worker. 

Thank you for everything.  I will take your advice and work hard to eventually be a program director like you. :)

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 09, 2017, 08:49:56 PM »
It's Officially Official NOW.

My degree came in today.

YEA!

It's been one roller coaste ride.

1 agency dropped me because they felt I lacked the awareness to make ethical decisions.
1 agency denied me as an intern because they felt I lacked the experience to be in the field and attempted to cover up using technical jargon.
1 agency denied me because they felt I lacked the experience to be able to work with clients right away.
1 agency denied me because they felt I was unfit for this field.

2 agencies gave me the chance to prove myself. they asked me "Do you want to be here?"

Said Yes. did great at both. got offered a job at each one once I was done with school.  Took 1. and BAM. on to better things.

Take that, doubters.  I did it!

Like this post: +1

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 10, 2017, 07:54:23 PM »
Glad things are going as planned  O0

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 25, 2017, 10:54:51 PM »
Maria,

Sorry I referred you to a place where people are nosy and spread rumors like wildfire.  If I had known it was going to be like this, I would've never referred you here.  Don't let the negative people bring you down.  You are a good and honest wife to your husband, and a great and supportive coworker to me and others.  Whatever the rumors are about us "being too close" or "spending too much time together", those rumors are lies.  Because at the end of the day, you and I both know, everything we do is purely professional, we sit in the same office, we run 2 groups every week, so it's fairly obvious we have to plan for our groups and that means spending more time together talking about each and every upcoming group meeting. 
The truth is, we don't text outside of work, we don't have dinner together (that would be weird), and we don't see eachother during non-work hours.  Our communication is only at work.

You and I both know nothing was deterred in that direction, don't let all that negative junk get to you.  You're a great person and you work well with your clients. 

You'll get through this stupid work drama. For me? Doesn't matter. I ignore the crap. I'll take the blame.

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 30, 2017, 01:03:37 AM »

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 06, 2018, 12:34:54 AM »
might be "un-social work" of me, but I sometimes want to open the pandora's box and give clients a blunt reality check.

There's the one client who's constantly using meth.  No the world isn't out to get you, no people aren't picking on you. Your choices leads you to being all messed up.

There's the one client who may end up being homeless.  It's not my fault, it's not DHHS's fault and no it's not Social Security's fault. It's yours, you got a backpay from SSI for near 3k and you spent it in less than a week. you refused to be connected to a payee. You got upset when I offered to connect you the payee and insisted that "you are an adult and can manage your money." 

There's the one client who is experiencing alcohol withdraw. Look there's no other way of saying this, if you keep doing what you're doing, YOU WILL DIE.  You collapsed, went to the hospital and got a BAC of 0.214 and were unconscious for nearly 2 weeks then discharged AMA. You're still drinking. Poor choices lead you to be where you are at. 

And then there's the one client of another staff who comes to the group I run.  I tell everyone every week before we do activities, if the topic is difficult for you or you are uncomfortable, you don't have to be here today.  But you don't listen.  You sit in during the hardest topics like the stages of grief, abuse, and trauma.  Each time a dark and difficult topic pop up, you try to change the topic or talk about "positivity", always talk about feeling magnificent or outstanding and joke that you are "always positive." Sorry, that's not how the world works.  I don't know what you went through growing up, I don't know what trauma pushed you to want to be in a state of fixed belief. I can see you cracking when I teach about the stages of grief specifically denial.  I'm not trying to make it harder for you, but if you are uncomfortable. Step out of the group room. This is very valuable to 90% of the group.  I'm not here to open a pandora's box.  But you constantly interrupting people and trying to change the topic annoys me.

Yea we call this countertransfe rence, I'm well aware of it.  I'm not here to hurt people. I'm here to provide support and help people.  It's just, sometimes clients annoy the shit out of you so you have to find a healthy way of letting go.

Like this post: +1

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 18, 2018, 04:47:35 PM »
Getting my car serviced.  Technician is like. Wow your car is really clean. Great job. I took the compliment.

In reality. It better be clean. I pay $40 a month to get it washed and vacuumed.

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 18, 2018, 08:47:04 PM »
What happen to doing those things yourself or pay the nephews $25 lol

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 29, 2018, 03:53:13 PM »
What happen to doing those things yourself or pay the nephews $25 lol

The plan was to maintenance the car myself. However.  After visiting AutoZone and going to Wal-Mart.
Oil- 50 bucks
Filter -15 bucks.

Paying Honda to do it - 75.
10 dollar difference so it didn't matter. 20+ and id do it myself.

As for car wash. I prefer going into the shop

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 23, 2018, 01:22:09 AM »
Dear New Guy,

I'll be honest. I like you as a person, I think you're a chill person who can be a great staff. But if it were up to me, I would not hire you.  You are not ready for this work, and you have not shown you are capable of being part of a team.  Here, we believe in effective communication.  When I email you, I get a long and seemingly prepared answer. Your writing skills are quite professional, tame, and understanding.  But when I ask you in person, you don't have much of a response.  Our verbal communication i'd say is 95% of how we communicate at the office, the rest is via phone.  We rarely email eachother. 

I told you the other day and I hope you take it with full understanding. You seem like a great person. You seem like someone who is a good learner, you present as hard working as have a desire to learn.
 BUT. I am the teacher here. Not you.  You are new, I've been here for 2 years, I'm mentoring you, not the other way around.  So when I say you are not going to learn about assessments, diagnosis, and intensive work yet.  Don't push for it.  It's not going to happen.  The more you push, the more you are going to make this a bumpy learning process. 

Advertisements