Advertisement

Author Topic: Classic Reviews: The Scarlet Letter is an F  (Read 20524 times)

bulbasaur

Classic Reviews: The Scarlet Letter is an F
« on: August 05, 2015, 09:22:39 PM »
The Scarlet Letter is Awful

In fact, I dislike most of Hawthorne's work.  I know a lot of people will disagree, but I just can't agree.  If no one told kids today that the Scarlet Letter was an American classic, would they actually come to that conclusion?  I doubt it.  Why is it #1?  The Scarlet Letter is about as clever as Twlight.  Heck, Twlight might be more clever. 

Hawthorne's writing is so lame.  In the Scarlet Letter, she names her daughter Pearl.  Lemme guess, because she is precious?  Chillingworth.  Dimmesdale.  Guess what kind of character traits they have?  He doesn't do this lame name game just for the Scarlet Letter either.  In Young Goodman Brown, the name of the main character is GOODMAN!  Lemme guess, he is young and he is good.  Think this is just a coincidence?  Goodman Brown leaves his wife whose name is Faith.  Take a wild guess what the theme of this story is! 

Everything is so laid out, that the only good use for his work is for novices who have never read a book before.  Hawthorne is like Blue Clues for story telling.  Blue Clues is great for little kids, but I am not going to call it a classic.

In the end, The Scarlet Letter is an F. 

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 02:05:48 AM by bulbasaur »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

bulbasaur

Re: Classic Review: Scarlet Letter is Awful
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 01:33:36 AM »
The Road Not Taken - by Robert Frost

This is one of the most well-known poems in pop culture today.  Unfortunately, it is also one of the most misinterpreted poems at that.  People often interpret that taking the road less traveled is the better option.  Some people live by this idea.  However, that is not what the poem is actually saying.  In fact, even in reality, taking the less traveled road may not be a good idea.  For example, is it better to stick to the main lighted walkway at night, or to walk through a dark alley?  Is it better to drive on the highway, or plow through a forest? 

For those who don't know what I am talking about, give it a second read.  You'd be surprised that it doesn't mean what a lot of people use it to mean today. 

bulbasaur

Re: Classic Reviews: Scarlet Letter is Awful
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 01:45:49 AM »
The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho

Wow, has it really be that long when this book was written?  The book was recommended to me by my English professor in high school.  It was a new book then, but now it is almost 30 years old. 

The book has familiar themes and ideas about life, but it doesn't hate you for it.  These days we have books like "Ten Secrets of Successful People" or "Ten Ways to Live a Happy Life."  This book sorta does that but in a nice narrative.  If you haven't read it, then give it a shot. 

bulbasaur

Re: Classic Reviews: Scarlet Letter is Awful
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 02:00:40 AM »
USA - John Dos Passos

USA is actually a triology of books consisting of The 42nd Parallel, 1919, and The Big Money.  My American Literature professor was a big Dos Passos fan, so that made us Dos Passos students.  I view the trilogy almost as a time piece that should be studied along with an American history course.  It's not really a book that I would pick up for entertainment, but it's a book I would pick up to study. 

The style of Dos Passos has been copied with other mediums.  For example, Pulp Fiction.  Of course, you could say that Dos Passos also copied the Canterbury Tales.  And maybe Chaucer copied someone else.  I guess Jobs was right, great artists steal. 

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 02:03:54 AM by bulbasaur »

bulbasaur

Re: Classic Reviews: The Scarlet Letter is an F
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 08:19:00 AM »
Watership Down

Watership Down was one of the earliest novels I read.  I remember not liking it as a kid, but I re-read parts of it as an adult, and I enjoyed it more.  I didn't finish reading it though.  Maybe I will go back and re-read it one of these days.  I might have been too young to have appreciated the book the first time. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 09:11:54 AM »
You should try reading.....

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

I believe Hawthorne's "blue's clues" are to throw off readers like you  ;D

bulbasaur

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 05:52:56 PM »
Please, you are about as clever as Hawthorne.  I don't even know you, but you are apparently jealous of me.  You're even jealous of my clever comeback.  You are so not clever that you can't even troll right.  Your sad attempt is more pathetic than funny.  Jealousy is a disease, and you're looking real sick.

Here, buy a t-shirt if reading a book isn't for you.

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

bulbas, looks like you were dying to use that on someone. Did it feel good?

bulbasaur

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 05:54:15 PM »
OMFG, you have reading comprehension problems too?  This is really becoming pathetic. 

Umm... never in the poem did it ever say anything about one being better than the other. The irony of your line in bold is pure entertainment.

bulbasaur

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 11:29:13 PM »
You r just dying for attention.  It is pathetic.  You can not even come up with a good troll line. U just mad my lines had more zing.  Hahahahaha.

You need to read the Frost entry again.  Reading comprehension is important. 

Well, I think when you criticize Hawthorne for simplicity and then scold others for misinterpretin g Frost, only to misinterpret Frost, you deserve to be trolled. So, I'll be on your case for a while.

Jealousy is a disease, and you're looking real sick.    ;D  ...a long while.

bulbasaur

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 11:45:00 PM »
Since someone is just dying for attention, let's illustrate his poor reading comprehension. ..

fleek whines, "Umm... never in the poem did it ever say anything about one being better than the other."

Guess what?  I didn't say that either.   Where did I say that the poem stated that one road is better than the other?  You're whining about something that was never said.  :idiot2:

You're trying so hard to be acknowledged for your intelligence, but it's falling pathetically short. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 07:30:08 PM »
Are you seriously trying to defend fleek?  You don't see me going into your threads and misreading what you write and trying to troll you.   

I was going to caution you for instigating something against someone who so dearly loves to be right all the time... but this might actually turn out to be amusing so I won't say anything. lol

zena

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 02:44:11 PM »
The Road Not Taken - by Robert Frost

This is one of the most well-known poems in pop culture today.  Unfortunately, it is also one of the most misinterpreted poems at that.  People often interpret that taking the road less traveled is the better option.  Some people live by this idea.  However, that is not what the poem is actually saying.  In fact, even in reality, taking the less traveled road may not be a good idea.  For example, is it better to stick to the main lighted walkway at night, or to walk through a dark alley?  Is it better to drive on the highway, or plow through a forest? 

For those who don't know what I am talking about, give it a second read.  You'd be surprised that it doesn't mean what a lot of people use it to mean today.

Poems can be translated many different ways that is why some people translate Robert Frosts, "The Road Not Taken" as taking the less traveled road.  What matters is how you (the reader of the poem) translate the poem for yourself.  What do you get out of it?  If you think it means to take the road less traveled, then sure, let it be that.  If you want to know exactly what the author of the poem is trying to say, then take a poetry class and dissect the poem or whatever.  If you thought it meant to take the easier road so that life wouldn't be so hard on you and your upset at Frost, then you've misunderstood the poem, and in this case, I'd recommend re-reading it, because you should not be upset.

For me, this poem means choosing from two big life choices.  One appears mostly traveled, and the other, not so much but either way, it doesn't mean one is easier than the other.  Whichever life direction you go, they will both be difficult.  You have to understand that the author has no way of knowing the future; of knowing which path in life will be easier or harder than the other.  No one knows.  No one still knows.  But, you choose the path you think will work out better for you.  Which doesn't mean it will work out better either.

You can take Frosts poem as it is too if trying to figure what he really means is difficult for you.  He is simply using the road and forest and a path as metaphors for life.  Both roads go into the forest. The forest is your future: it's the unknown future.  The path is what tells you, you must make a choice.  You can't take both roads, ALTHOUGH, Frost did write: "Oh, I kept the first for another day!" which meant he might take that road too but then he writes: "Yet knowing how way leads on to way, I doubted if I should ever come back," which means one thing will lead to another and he'll forget or he might enjoy the road he's on for the time being or whatever.  Something will come up, which means, he probably wont' be able to come back to the road not taken.

Frost's poems are meant to make you feel a struggle or a dark sadness within yourself that may or may not translate into positiveness through trying times.  If you don't feel that then...yeah, something's not right.

Anyway, Frost is awesome.  I like this poem and "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening."  They are timeless poems that question our deepest thoughts, desires, and motives.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 02:49:50 PM by moonangel »

bulbasaur

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 05:02:42 PM »
Since someone is just dying for attention, let's illustrate his poor reading comprehension. ..

fleek whines, "Umm... never in the poem did it ever say anything about one being better than the other."

Guess what?  I didn't say that either.   Where did I say that the poem stated that one road is better than the other?  You're whining about something that was never said.  :idiot2:

You're trying so hard to be acknowledged for your intelligence, but it's falling pathetically short.
 :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Wow, so quick to turn victim.

bulbasaur

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 05:03:46 PM »
Are you seriously trying to defend fleek?  You don't see me going into your threads and misreading what you write and trying to troll you.  :idiot2:

Your romanticized hyperbolic language pleases me. Please carry on crossing swords with the B while I watch from afar.

bulbasaur

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 05:46:12 PM »
1.  I think you meant "interpreted" and not "translated."  But anyways, that's not important...

2.  People are free to interpret works of art and literature.  However, there is a limit.  If we're looking at a picture of a bowl of fruit, and someone says he sees people, then one interpretation is clearly not correct.  Maybe that person really sees people, but that doesn't mean that there are people in the picture.  Which leads us to...

3.  You wrote, "For me, this poem means choosing from two big life choices.  One appears mostly traveled, and the other, not so much but either way, it doesn't mean one is easier than the other."   If you believe that about life, then fine; nothing wrong with that.  However, the poem clearly states that both roads appear equal.  In fact, Frost actually describes the roads as "equally lay."  The narrator will only claim that he/she took the less traveled road in retrospect.  We, the readers, know the truth that both roads were equal because of the first couple of stanzas. 

Poems can be translated many different ways that is why some people translate Robert Frosts, "The Road Not Taken" as taking the less traveled road.  What matters is how you (the reader of the poem) translate the poem for yourself.  What do you get out of it?  If you think it means to take the road less traveled, then sure, let it be that.  If you want to know exactly what the author of the poem is trying to say, then take a poetry class and dissect the poem or whatever.  If you thought it meant to take the easier road so that life wouldn't be so hard on you and your upset at Frost, then you've misunderstood the poem, and in this case, I'd recommend re-reading it, because you should not be upset.

For me, this poem means choosing from two big life choices.  One appears mostly traveled, and the other, not so much but either way, it doesn't mean one is easier than the other.  Whichever life direction you go, they will both be difficult.  You have to understand that the author has no way of knowing the future; of knowing which path in life will be easier or harder than the other.  No one knows.  No one still knows.  But, you choose the path you think will work out better for you.  Which doesn't mean it will work out better either.

You can take Frosts poem as it is too if trying to figure what he really means is difficult for you.  He is simply using the road and forest and a path as metaphors for life.  Both roads go into the forest. The forest is your future: it's the unknown future.  The path is what tells you, you must make a choice.  You can't take both roads, ALTHOUGH, Frost did write: "Oh, I kept the first for another day!" which meant he might take that road too but then he writes: "Yet knowing how way leads on to way, I doubted if I should ever come back," which means one thing will lead to another and he'll forget or he might enjoy the road he's on for the time being or whatever.  Something will come up, which means, he probably wont' be able to come back to the road not taken.

Frost's poems are meant to make you feel a struggle or a dark sadness within yourself that may or may not translate into positiveness through trying times.  If you don't feel that then...yeah, something's not right.

Anyway, Frost is awesome.  I like this poem and "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening."  They are timeless poems that question our deepest thoughts, desires, and motives.

Advertisements