Advertisement

Author Topic: Classic Reviews: The Scarlet Letter is an F  (Read 20513 times)

bulbasaur

Re: Classic Reviews: The Scarlet Letter is an F
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2015, 07:18:57 PM »
That's the best trolling you can do?   :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

bulbasaur:

a message from your friend, fleek:

Like this post: +1

Adverstisement

bulbasaur

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2015, 11:15:25 PM »
The Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer

I'm a big fan of Chaucer, but I am not a big fan of how Chaucer is taught.  Almost every person who teaches Chaucer diminish his work by focusing on silly things like alliteration, cadence, etc.  There is nothing wrong with learning about poetic tools, but it kinda ruins the entertainment value in Chaucer's work.  People should really be more interested in Chaucer. 

Like this post: 0

bulbasaur

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2015, 06:23:56 PM »
Walden - Henry David Thoreau

In high school, I was really into the Romantics and Transcendental ists.  Not surprisingly, Walden made quite an impression on me.  To this day, the book still has an influence on me.  I may not live in the woods (or on the edge of town), but I do enjoy hiking and the outdoors.  Plus, it is always fun to throw out a Thoreau quote when the occasion comes up.  So why bring up Thoreau now?  Well, Thanksgiving is coming soon, and I am always grateful for what I am and have. My thanksgiving is perpetual.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:59:20 AM by bulbasaur »

bulbasaur

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2015, 10:33:44 PM »
The Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka

I read this novella from a professor in high school, and it was the first reading for the class.  This class was the first class that really got me interested in literature courses.  Before this class, English classes were a bore, and I read mostly by myself.  Later in life, I was motivated to take several humanities courses even though I did not need to.  I even joined a few humanities clubs.  This novella really changed my life.  It really got me thinking about freedom, duty, identity, and more.  After all, no one wants to wake up one morning as a monstrous vermin.

bulbasaur

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2015, 06:54:53 PM »
The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock - TS Eliot

I had to write a paper on this in high school.  I was frustrated on trying to interpret the poem, but I was probably not as frustrated as Prufrock.   

bulbasaur

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2015, 09:22:56 PM »
The Glass Menagerie - Tennessee Williams

I studied this in class, and I performed this in drama.  I enjoyed it, but you may not like it if you don't like broken glass.

bulbasaur

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2015, 10:24:47 PM »
Our Town - Thornton Wilder

This was another play I did during my drama years.  I quite enjoyed it.  It was my carpe diem and yolo before carpe diem and yolo was around.  I guess no one truly understands the value of life while they live it, except maybe the saints and poets.

bulbasaur

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2015, 08:54:45 AM »
The Light in the Forest - Conrad Richter

I read this book when I was very young.  I found this book around the house.  My brother or sister must have bought the book for one of their classes.  In any case, I read the book, and I really enjoyed it.  It was my first exposure to that part in American history.  In fact, this was the book that got me interested in studying history.  I am not sure if I would still consider it a good book now, but it was at least an influential book for me.

Later in life, I found similarities of other stories to this one.  Last of the Mohicans.  Avatar.  Fern Gully.  Dances with Wolves.  The Last Samurai.  And many more.  If you're a true son or daughter, then you'd know what I am talking about.

This is actually the exact cover of the book of the one I read.  I have no idea where the book is now.  It's probably been trashed during multiple moves. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2015, 02:30:07 PM »
Where the Red Fern Grows - Wilson Rawls

I read this in the 7th grade.  This is just a classic story about a boy and his dog.  Well, 2 dogs in this case.  I remember it being sad when I first read it, and I remember the book making me want to have a dog, too.  It's strange indeed how memories can lie dormant in a man's mind for so many years. Yet those memories can be awakened and brought forth fresh and new, just by something you've seen, or something you've heard, or the sight of an old familiar face.

bulbasaur

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2015, 04:36:00 PM »
This is for those certain people who are too dumb to understand...

People can like different things, and that's just fine.  I don't like the Scarlet Letter, but I know a lot of people do.  I pretty much said so in the original post.  I have my reasons for disliking it, and you have yours for liking it.  Why do you have this dumb idea that everyone needs to like whatever you like? 

Think of it this way:  If you like sushi, does that mean that everyone else has to like it too?  Of course not.  People have different tastes.  It doesn't make them dumb for not liking sushi, but it makes you dumb to think that they need to like what you like. 

Now, go back and hide under your dumb troll bridge. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2016, 05:36:07 PM »
To Kill a Mockingbird

This is one of my favorite novels.  Unfortunately, this novel may not have the same influence on this new generation.  I first read this novel because it was laying around the house.  It was required reading for my older siblings' classes.  I just picked it up. 

I started reading the sequel, but I haven't finished.  I am avoiding reading spoilers, but I already get the feeling that I am going to be disappointed.  At least I still have the original.

This is the cover of the book that I remember most. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2016, 04:27:38 PM »
Deadwood City

It's not the best book, but it's the first "Choose Your Own Adventure" book for me.  The novelty was so much fun as a kid.  I got a small collection on my shelf, and this one started it all.

bulbasaur

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2016, 03:04:44 AM »
Lord of the Flies

I read it as a kid and when I was older.  It's a good read, but I am not so sure if today's readers will find it as interesting.  Someone should do a modern retelling of this.   There have been a couple, but none that great. 

Advertisements