Advertisement

Author Topic: Solar Panels  (Read 5565 times)

Offline GhostRider

• Jr. Poster
  • GhostRider: 5'11", 185 lbs, Straight
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
Solar Panels
« on: September 02, 2015, 11:12:12 PM »
Anyone have recently added solar panels to there house or thinking about adding and wanted to know all the disadvantages?

Like this post: 0
I'm Ghost Rider! Come Ride With Me..!

Adverstisement

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Panels
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 03:31:04 PM »
  Not interesting since our electricity bill is low.  The sales person even told us we're better off without it too.  I believed for us they recommend 10 panels and looking about $45 a month.  Our electricity is estimated under $30 and $50-60 on month we used ac. 

FetishDream

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 03:45:34 PM »
I would like to throw you this sale's pitch and do let me know if you think this is a good idea and you would sign up with me or not. 

Lets say the whole system cost $10K but I am not collecting 10K from you right now.  First, let me see your electricity bill.  It seems like you average about $100 per month.  I then takes out my calculator.... .

$10,000 divide by $100 = 100 months or 8.33 years.  So you do not have to pay me nothing right now.  I will have my team install that solar panel for you and you can start using as much or as little of electricity as you can harvest from the sun.  Since you are paying $100 a month anyway, why don't you just pay me $100 a month instead and in 8.33 year and when the lease is up, you will have a free solar panel to work with from then on.  In other words, by the time that your lease is up, you will still be stuck with the mortgage bill and if you decided to sell your house, you can add that solar pricing factor into the home pricing as well. 

So how does this sound?  In 8.33 years, you will get a free solar panel and since you pay $100 a month to PG&E and get nothing in 8.33 years, might as well pay me that $100 a month and you will gain something in 8.33 years.   

And that is how you can own something with no money down, no cost out of pocket whatsoever right now.  What is in it for me?  I still will get my 10K for my solar equipment.  I still make the sale and our terms will protect us to collect that 10K in 8.33 years, interest free. 

Easy, no hassle sales pressure coming from any sides. 

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 12:49:22 PM »
I would like to throw you this sale's pitch and do let me know if you think this is a good idea and you would sign up with me or not. 

Lets say the whole system cost $10K but I am not collecting 10K from you right now.  First, let me see your electricity bill.  It seems like you average about $100 per month.  I then takes out my calculator.... .

$10,000 divide by $100 = 100 months or 8.33 years.  So you do not have to pay me nothing right now.  I will have my team install that solar panel for you and you can start using as much or as little of electricity as you can harvest from the sun.  Since you are paying $100 a month anyway, why don't you just pay me $100 a month instead and in 8.33 year and when the lease is up, you will have a free solar panel to work with from then on.  In other words, by the time that your lease is up, you will still be stuck with the mortgage bill and if you decided to sell your house, you can add that solar pricing factor into the home pricing as well. 

So how does this sound?  In 8.33 years, you will get a free solar panel and since you pay $100 a month to PG&E and get nothing in 8.33 years, might as well pay me that $100 a month and you will gain something in 8.33 years.   

And that is how you can own something with no money down, no cost out of pocket whatsoever right now.  What is in it for me?  I still will get my 10K for my solar equipment.  I still make the sale and our terms will protect us to collect that 10K in 8.33 years, interest free. 

Easy, no hassle sales pressure coming from any sides.

If I remember our quote estimated were pretty much within 10k as you stated but you have to down 2-3k and then have a monthly payment of $45 for about 5-7 yrs.  I can't remember much but it was a good deal but then we just have a lower electricity bill since living in our home that we purchased. 

Our electricity and gas is separate company.  Our electricity is a local company specifically just for most new homes in the north side development that has been growing lately.  They don't have the greatest service in providing customer what they need unless you have a broken meter otherwise it mean you have to hired or look into your own electrician.  Gas is with PGE.  I like PGE better because they have better customer service and come out for your needs.  I missed their program benefits. 

My gas is due at the end of the month and its only $30.  My electricity too and is $54 because I have the ac more on since the fires burning in the mountain has become a hazard for bad air quality lately so have to keep my windows closed.  I still think at the rate were paying for electricity and gas is better than some of our friends.  At the same time the direction of our home sit in a position that give us breeze through out the summer along with having bigger windows. 

Its sound good to have solar panels but we just haven't had a friend or neighbor who had them to so we can't get their feedback.  From what I'm hearing the sales guy said........ some are not homeowner and those who are homeowner that want them does not have the credit to qualify for it either.  Another reason the angle of the home is not in a good place or direction to installed the panels too.  He told us our roof is perfect angle for it. 

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 05:14:07 PM »
In WI, you are penalized for using less electricity.  They just increased the base price (meaning you pay this even if you don't use electricity).  It rewards those that use electricity but makes those that use little electricity pay more. 

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 08:40:48 PM »
In WI, you are penalized for using less electricity.  They just increased the base price (meaning you pay this even if you don't use electricity).  It rewards those that use electricity but makes those that use little electricity pay more.

Our base price is 11 cent per usage for electricity.  I think if you go beyond 500 or 600 usage then it increase to 13 cent.  I've always been under 400 usage.  Less or more as long as people are paying their bills no one should be penalized unless they think its not helping their water division/dept.  How much are WI resident being penalized? 

Our water and trash bill is one flat rate of $107.  The water flat rate is for 30 units.  If you go over 30 then each unit is going to cost .87 cent.  I never used up to the limited 30 units.  I'm probably just half way.  You only get a higher water and trash bill if water is over the usage otherwise $107 is what it will continued to be for the moment. 

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 12:22:23 PM »
  Not interesting since our electricity bill is low.  The sales person even told us we're better off without it too.  I believed for us they recommend 10 panels and looking about $45 a month.  Our electricity is estimated under $30 and $50-60 on month we used ac.

What is your total kWhr to be paying $45/month.

Yeh, I agree with FetishDream that it's better to get the off grid investment upgrades. As for us folks up north, there's no benefit in upgrading to solar since the deals aren't as good.

For my energy budget needs alone, I would required an average 2.45kW/hr pv energy production to meet my monthly 1.6Mwathr needs which would run about $22,050 for the system. Just doing the math, the incentive aren't as good nor the cost.

Advertisements